Poll - Who would you rate as the weakest premiership side in the AFL era?

Which premiership team would you rate as the weakest of the AFL era?

• Collingwood 1990

Votes: 64 4.2%
  • Hawthorn 1991

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • West Coast 92-94

Votes: 3 0.2%
  • Essendon 1993

Votes: 73 4.7%
  • Carlton 1995

Votes: 16 1.0%
  • North 96-99

Votes: 18 1.2%
  • Adelaide 97-98

Votes: 126 8.2%
  • Essendon 2000

Votes: 34 2.2%
  • Brisbane 2001-2003

Votes: 3 0.2%
  • Port 2004

Votes: 40 2.6%
  • Sydney 2005

Votes: 35 2.3%
  • West Coast 2006

Votes: 13 0.8%
  • Geelong 2007-2011

Votes: 14 0.9%
  • Hawthorn 2008

Votes: 28 1.8%
  • Collingwood 2010

Votes: 26 1.7%
  • Sydney 2012

Votes: 13 0.8%
  • Hawthorn 2013-2015

Votes: 25 1.6%
  • Bulldogs 2016

Votes: 494 32.1%
  • Richmond 2017

Votes: 509 33.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I voted Bulldogs to fend off the Richmond votes, but really it's Sydney 2005. Went 15-7 in the home & away season (same as Dogs 2016 & Tigers 2017) with a similarly weak percentage (116% vs Dogs' 115% vs Tigers' 118%), then was far worse in the finals, losing one and scraping home in two more by a total of 7 points.

It's a different era now boys & girls.

The right of passage to the ultimate success used to be that you had to be a good side for a number of years or at the very least be the best team of the competition for a season. Now you've got teams winning premierships from 7th on the ladder......then missing the finals the following year......and now a side wins it from finishing 13th the year before.

But lets call a spade a spade yeah.
Yeh its crazy that a team thats won the 4th most home and away games over the last 5 seasons won a flag. But because they had 1 poor season everyone forgot the 3 before it apparently. And the flag was won in only in the 8th year of the coaches plan! Happened so quickly and out of pure luck! Came out of nowhere! Who would've thought!

I've only been on big footy for 12 months, and **** me, in that time I've posted alot of drunken crap, but spare me, the s**t that comes out of tiger fans on this site goes beyond anything I could think of after my 1st slab.

Let em enjoy it. I know we would have. They have put up with a lot of s**t so if you don’t want to se them gloating then don’t come to sites looking for it. Again, I know I would have been gloating.

I hope there’s no ill feeling from Richmond supporters towards Adelaide or their supporters though. As far as I can tell both clubs and supporter bases were excited to be there , with a chance at a premiership. and the better team on the day won.

Hopefully it’s the start of a nice cordial rivalry unlike that of between hawthorn and Geelong supporters.

And hopefully we get to do it all again next yr albeit with a different result.

It's a different era now boys & girls.

The right of passage to the ultimate success used to be that you had to be a good side for a number of years or at the very least be the best team of the competition for a season. Now you've got teams winning premierships from 7th on the ladder......then missing the finals the following year......and now a side wins it from finishing 13th the year before.

Has our competition become a 1 in 8 lottery chance when the finals begin? If this trend continues.....premierships will be as worthy as junior sports participation awards in which every club soon enough will eventually get one.

Essendon, Melbourne, St Kilda gonna win the flag in 2018? Come on....

Before anyone wants to call me salty or whatever it is these days......know that when I saw my club win AFL premierships....I did so knowing my team was the best without question. Not just for 1 year...no bullshit lottery/flash in the pan....but a decade long dominance.

If your a Bulldogs or Richmond supporter you should be elated at your teams recent success given how long you've had to wait.

But lets call a spade a spade yeah.
Decade long dominance? Tell us, how many flags did your team win during that decade long dominance? Let's see, you won in 1996 and 1999, so that's two. Dominance. in 1997 you won 12 games and 1998 you won 16. Dominance on a grand scale. In the 5 years preceding those flags you won 12, 7, 13, 13, 14 games and in the following years you won 14, 9, 12, 11 and 10. Dominance.

Richmond have been finalists in 4 of the past 5 years, winning 15, 12, 15, 8 and 15 games - I guess that's dominance by your definition. And we still have time on our side to dominate even more for it to become a "decade of dominance".

Isn't the weakest premiership side actually the strongest though??

coming from far down the ladder, playing great footy at the right time, not having the predictably of teams who have more money to splash around or higher, luckier picks, not having the better preparation and systems to predictably win the cup like other teams that i won't mention..

depends how you look at it...

tigers this year dismantled the rest of the top 4, despite the weight of recent history ('13-'15 capitulations) and further back (didnt they win more finals this year than they have between '83-'16?). they seem to be one of the closest teams i can recall watching, in terms of their admiration and love for each other. watching them hold up the song until ivan maric was in the circle was great.

id say they were extremely 'strong', personally.

the bulldogs last year - 3 away finals (perth, 3 times reigning premier, and arguably the most talent laden side in the comp), and then a GF against a great sydney team... all after finishing 7th. apparently it was all the bye, and 7th was where teams wanted to finish from here on out. and then this year happened. bad injury list, and some pretty sickening injuries both physically and emotionally.

id say they were also very 'strong'.

essendon '00 - great team, but clearly the best in it (maybe the best in history) and didnt have all that much standing in their way. they were brilliant, but in some ways their 'strength' wasnt really tested.

who is the weakest in terms of talent? who cares, but arguments can be made in any manner of ways on that.

who is the strongest in terms of talent? who cares, but arguments can be made in any manner of ways on that, too.

all premiers display strength, and all display weakness.

what i think is weak is denigrating achievements - whether expected (essendon '00) or remarkable (dogs '16, tigers '17) - out of jealousy and a need to belittle other teams for, it usually seems on BF, no other reason than it wasnt your team you got to watch succeeding.

i loved every second of richmonds success, including their dismantling of my own side in the QF. we werent up to it, they were, and cotchin has been something else these finals. his goal in the last quarter of the QF was my favourite moment of the finals.
A rarity amongst BF posters an honest unbiased view, great post:thumbsu:

Surprised at the amount of voting for the Tigers.
Finished top 4.
Took out Geelong (2nd) in the first final.
Took out the preseason fancies in GWS
Then took out the team people were handing the flag to after Rd.4.

Every final win was convincing. There was no question on their opposition coming into the game. No question on the manner in which they won.

But then i see 25 votes for Essendon 2000 (the most dominant team of any season in the modern era), yet 8 for North in 96/99, when 99 was a bradbury premiership.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Essendon '93... Having said that, they were the most successful club of that year and I'm sure their fans couldn't give a rat's if supporters of other clubs think that they were "weak" compared to previous and future premiership teams. A premiership is a premiership is a premiership. Ditto for Richmond 2017 and every other club listed above.

To be honest I thought the Richmond side of 2017 was even weaker than the Western Bulldogs side of 2016 so I am surprised the Bulldogs are winning this poll slightly.
The Dogs finished 7th and almost lost a final, while Richmond was 3rd and didn't.

But I can understand the argument that the Tigers had weaker opposition: in 2016 three teams won 17 games, while this year the minor premiers won 15.5.

Although by that criteria, you should probably be voting Essendon 1993: most even year ever - 13.5 wins got you top spot - lost a final, scraped by in another when Adelaide couldn't kick straight.

how is this a thread? as Cotchin said after the granny "We are worthy" and that goes for every team who's won a flag

25 people actually voted for Essendon 2000?

200.gif

TBH I can't be bothered going to your board and hashing up past posts. Whether it was Martin or Kelly you were on about it doesn't matter. You cannot deny that you are on just about every anti-Richmond post which to me shows you have a real mental problem. Maybe you should see a shrink about it.
Mate he's walking proof of how bad the prison system is.
They shouldn't have released him until he got his head right.

Back