Port Magpies teetering

Remove this Banner Ad

Have the Port Adelaide Magpies Folded?
Was down at Prospect Oval today and had a look at the SANFL Fixture Draft and the Roosters have no byes and dont play Port Magpies.
Whats Going On?

Move over Kane Johnson at the '06 Richmond B&F!

In all seriousness, according to the news last night an SANFL meeting on the whole Port situation will be held in November.

The Rooch's article today suggests the Port Magpies have one season left in them without SANFL financial assistance. There's a SANFL meeting Monday starting at 5.30pm that could decide their fate. MR seems to think they are more likely to fold, the other clubs won't prop them up and a merger with the Power is too challenging.

Got a link to the article Ford?

Cheers,

Funny the SANFL forced made or what ever West Torrens to merge when the money was running out .So why not do something with Port Adelaide .
Or just let them die no more byes then.

The SANFL didn't force that at all. Both clubs saw the way things were going and jumped at the opportunity.

The SANFL had however been dangling carrots for a merger for some time.

But don't let reality get in the way of another anti-Port Adelaide jibe - unless you were being literal, in which case, yes, it was everyone else's fault. :thumbsu:

Reality? There's a lot of Port supporters who have no concept of reality when they go on with their paranoid conspiracy theories about the SANFL and it's clubs wanting to hobble Port Adelaide out of some "jealousy".

Imagine buying an investment property, get tenants and do your best to make sure the tenants dont have an income. It wouldn't make sense. The SANFL want Port to be healthy and profitable. It's the only logical thing for the health of football in SA as a whole.

But no, the SANFL needed a Port Adelaide presence in the local league to retain its credibility as superhappybestfriendsbesteverstateleagueever!!!1111111 with an expected further drop in crowds coming and a recent humiliating state game loss to the TFL raw in the memory.

You've lost your argument with a completely off kilter comment like that.

I'll say it again: If Port fans didn't want a presence in the SANFL, how come they packed out Football Park for the 1998 SANFL Grand Final? The game was a sell out and I'm damned sure the roar at the end of the game wasn't 50000 Sturt supporters.Please answer this.

Perhaps it's just a Big Footy hive-mind thing that want the Magpies dead and gone.

Have the Port Adelaide Magpies Folded?
Was down at Prospect Oval today and had a look at the SANFL Fixture Draft and the Roosters have no byes and dont play Port Magpies.
Whats Going On?

I noticed your same post on the Port forum last night and questioned a member of the board of an SANFL club about this.

His response: "It's not official" but finished of with "..there wont be too many more trips to Alberton for me".

Reality? There's a lot of Port supporters who have no concept of reality when they go on with their paranoid conspiracy theories about the SANFL and it's clubs wanting to hobble Port Adelaide out of some "jealousy".

Imagine buying an investment property, get tenants and do your best to make sure the tenants dont have an income. It wouldn't make sense. The SANFL want Port to be healthy and profitable. It's the only logical thing for the health of football in SA as a whole.

Who the hell said anything about 'jealousy'?

The prevailing attitude was that if the Magpies weren't divorced from the AFL venture they'd be an invincible force in the local league off the back of the Power's expected windfall and enhanced resources on the national stage.

As a result the other SANFL clubs agitated to divorce the Magpies from the Power, resulting in the move to Ethelton and both clubs being forbade from joint fundraising and marketing ventures save for an 80/20 revenue share at The Port Club, which has since been raised to 75/25.

The result of this is that the AFL club is propping up the SANFL club to the tune of 25% 24/7 and the SANFL club can only make 25% revenue on SANFL matchdays.

Those are the facts.

Feel free to skim over them, or type "paranoia" or another carping quip though. :thumbsu:

Seriously. If you disagree or think I'm lying, just say so, I can't be bothered typing it again.

You've lost your argument with a completely off kilter comment like that.

Ha. In all of your three posts directed towards me in this thread you're yet to say anything of substance, and I've "lost"?

Uh-huh.

As for 'off-kilter', the SANFL's mission is to be the second best Australian Rules Football league on the planet. They will move heaven and earth (and pretty much have - bleeding the Crows and Power dry being a prime example) to achieve this.

What they fail to heed is, no-one cares.

It's like Buzz Aldrin's feeble "second comes right after first..." line on The Simpsons.

It's amazing Leigh Whicker hasn't bid for the Football Park naming rights.

I'll say it again: If Port fans didn't want a presence in the SANFL, how come they packed out Football Park for the 1998 SANFL Grand Final? The game was a sell out and I'm damned sure the roar at the end of the game wasn't 50000 Sturt supporters.Please answer this.

Nothing new there. There are still a stack of Port fans who think the Magpies are 'the real Port'. I've had this argument with a few relatives and friends repeatedly.

I make the point, "there's the Port Adelaide Football Club and then there's the Port Adelaide Magpies". They reply with absolute conviction, "no, there's Port Power Football Club and the Port Adelaide Football Club". They literally can't get their heads around it.

Basically, apart from the cadre of 2000-3000 hardcore PAMFC fans, the majority are the types in the anecdote above. The same Port casuals who only rock up to Power games in late August/September when things are rosey - the ones who wouldn't know their arse from their elbow, consider themselves Port supporters, but never actually support the club with memberships or consistent attendance.

They're like donkey voters at your local primary school once every three years.

I think what everyone is forgetting is that Port is well supported. Both by sponsers and supporters. Its just they dont have the finanical assets to stay profitable.

This is what gets me when I read multiple comments about getting rid of them from so called Port supporters, which makes me think it's a Big Footy only mindset.

If you didn't care then you wouldnt even click on the SANFL board link.

Oh wait you said "no-one" cares. Carry on.

Cripes matey.

My "no-one cares" call was in regard to the SANFL's stated mission to be the second best league in Australia, not the SANFL as a competition per se - as your latest carping garbage so embarrassingly assumed.

If you're genuine, get the chip off your scapula and start reading posts properly - it's getting tiring having to hold your hand because you keep jumping to conclusions, making things up and misreading my stuff.

If you're doing it deliberately, which would be incredibly sad, go to Bay 13 and troll there. Simple.

All I can say is that I would be devastated if there was no Port Adelaide in the SANFL. A close friend of mine who is a Norwood freak and would love nothing more than to see Port fold even hates the idea of an SANFL without Port Adelaide. I hope something can be put in place soon to save Port Adelaide and until that happens I'm heading down to Cheltenham to buy a few lace ups. The prison bar guernsey is the best guernsey even made and it would be an absolute travesty if it was lost to history, as well as the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

sorry Pano

there is the rest of the state that really don't care, as long as its not their club

That isn't always the case. As far as I'm concerned, the saying "there for the grace of god" applies.

Remove one club and another sits at the bottom waiting to be chopped. Where does it end?

FWIW, some of us care about the history of the game and dont want to see ANY club die, especially a traditional rival.

The thing that I find sad is that reading sites like this suggests that most 'Port' fans want the old club dead. Like an embarrassing old grandparent in a nursing home, they're hoping they're in their grave soon so they can have the spoils of their assets. Shame really.

Unless a benefactor appears, the club has one more year left in it. The Prince of Wales is losing money and they cant even service that debt let alone the football club's financial black hole.

At the recent meeting to determine their fate, the SANFL decided to advance the payment this year so as not to be seen to have Port's blood on it's hands. Clubs like Sturt couldn't exactly vote against it as they've had similar concessions advanced to them. The difference is with Sturt, they have presented a viable business model and their two venues are now returning an income for the football club. Port do not have this.

That isn't always the case. As far as I'm concerned, the saying "there for the grace of god" applies.

Remove one club and another sits at the bottom waiting to be chopped. Where does it end?

FWIW, some of us care about the history of the game and dont want to see ANY club die, especially a traditional rival.

The thing that I find sad is that reading sites like this suggests that most 'Port' fans want the old club dead. Like an embarrassing old grandparent in a nursing home, they're hoping they're in their grave soon so they can have the spoils of their assets. Shame really.

Unless a benefactor appears, the club has one more year left in it. The Prince of Wales is losing money and they cant even service that debt let alone the football club's financial black hole.

At the recent meeting to determine their fate, the SANFL decided to advance the payment this year so as not to be seen to have Port's blood on it's hands. Clubs like Sturt couldn't exactly vote against it as they've had similar concessions advanced to them. The difference is with Sturt, they have presented a viable business model and their two venues are now returning an income for the football club. Port do not have this.

I'm really starting to believe that either you don't read the posts in this thread or you are intentionally choosing to ignore certain statements and continue to make certain statements in an effort to annoy the Port supporters reading this thread.

Firstly, the PAMFC is not the "old" club as you state. I'm not going to go into this again. Others have and you clearly haven't taken any notice of what they've written.

Secondly, your statement in regard to "they" having the spoils of the assets is clearly a statement made to suggest that the Power have taken the assets of the Magpies and are now leaving them for dead. Again, an incorrect statement.

Finally, your (Sturt's) traditional rival didn't die, they moved into the AFL.

I think your denial/avoidance of this issue is bordering on someone trolling for a reaction. Now, if I'm the only PAFC supporter that feels this way about your posts, clearly, I'm the one with the problem but let me make it clear- it's really pi**ing me off!

Nothing to do with that

i'm not 100% sure where i sit on this issue anymore. all that really matters to me at the end of the day is that the PAFC gains some financial stability, not too sure where the PAMFC stands in this

I have heard that the merger proposal has been put to the clubs and at present they are split on it. 3 for it 4 against and one undecided. They will have a few weeks to consider it before a vote.

I have heard that the merger proposal has been put to the clubs and at present they are split on it. 3 for it 4 against and one undecided. They will have a few weeks to consider it before a vote.

My understanding is that only 2 clubs have been presented to (Glenelg tonight) and upon understanding the facts, their response was quite positive.

All I can say is that I would be devastated if there was no Port Adelaide in the SANFL. A close friend of mine who is a Norwood freak and would love nothing more than to see Port fold even hates the idea of an SANFL without Port Adelaide. I hope something can be put in place soon to save Port Adelaide and until that happens I'm heading down to Cheltenham to buy a few lace ups. The prison bar guernsey is the best guernsey even made and it would be an absolute travesty if it was lost to history, as well as the club.

The whole situation is a shame, i sit in the state of Victoria which effectively has no state league. It is a development comp. Either way you look at it Port Adelaide Magpies are dead, killed by their more affluent offspring. This wreaks almost as much as the Coburg Richmond alignment.

The whole situation is a shame, i sit in the state of Victoria which effectively has no state league. It is a development comp. Either way you look at it Port Adelaide Magpies are dead, killed by their more affluent offspring. This wreaks almost as much as the Coburg Richmond alignment.

Other Way around ArnelDavis
Power were the magpies .After they knifed oops I mean left the SANFL the magpies were created .
What ever way it is DEAD TEAM WALKING

Re: Power and Magpies talks

Rucci's back and has the Power-Magpies merger vote as a possible deal-breaker in forcing control of the SA club AFL licences from the SANFL to the AFL.

Power play looms
Michelangelo Rucci
February 07, 2010 11:30PM

link

THE AFL licenses of the Crows and the Power could be headed out of the SANFL's control, pending the outcome of a crucial meeting tomorrow night to determine the future of the Port Adelaide Magpies.

link

Re: Power and Magpies talks

Rucci has more in today's tiser. He says the vote is a shaky 6-4 in favour, with North Adelaide leading the kill vote and trying to nobble the count.

Standoff in battle over Port merger
Michelangelo Rucci, Chief Football
The Advertiser February 08, 2010

link

PORT Adelaide Magpies' survival vote is so tight the opponents of the merger with the AFL-based Port Adelaide Football Club have sought to nobble the voting pool. The vote at the SANFL table tomorrow night is currently a tentative and shaky 6-4 in favour.

The North Adelaide-led opposition has pushed for affiliated leagues director, Rob Kerin, to be removed from the meeting. He is said to carry a pro-merger vote. His right to vote was challenged at a select strategic meeting of SANFL clubs - minus the Magpies and any league executive - late last week.

link

Rucci also lists the benefits of the proposed merger.

NO change to the football dynamics of the SANFL which would remain a nine-team competition - regarded as the best outside the AFL - and with an independent Magpies football department. To avert any Power influence, the SANFL can demand a minimum spend on football by the Magpies.

NO plan for a Power reserves team masquerading as the Magpies. This denies the Power a so-called football advantage which would then have to be replicated for the Crows.

A SAFETY net allowing the SANFL clubs to revisit the merger in three years.

NO more than a business plan allowing the Magpies and Power to consolidate their corporate models - and to end the inevitable conflicts created by the original model designed by the SANFL in 1996 when it lost the Port Adelaide Football Club to the AFL and sought a replica of the original Magpies.

IT can free the SANFL of any financial burden from the Magpies - and potentially the Power.

AND will bring in lucrative sponsorship agreements - worth hundreds of thousands of dollars - ready to be signed on the basis of a united Port Adelaide Football Club.

But they shouldnt be, they are the biggest team in the league.

To vote down the proposal would be to ruin all the progress the league has made in the last 5 years or so.

I just can't comprehend why the events of over 20 years ago would even come into consideration when your voting on something that will affect the league for perhaps the rest of its history. This shouldnt be about something in the past it should be about whats best for the league and football.

Killing off the Magpies, killing of fa financial windfall for the Power & losing future growth potential in a sustainable Magpies outfit is NOT in the best interests of the SANFL.

& If they do vote it down, I would be all for the SANFL losing their AFL licenses.

They are not the biggest team in the SANFL!!! what decade of the 20th century are you living in.
The Port Adelaide that turned into the Power could have laid claim to that title .But they deserted the SANFL for the AFL .
What was left behind is a very poor relation .In fact when attending Alberton game I have seen Power Clad fans fighting with Magpie clad fans over who owns the oval.
So why should the other 8 clubs vote yes Port Adelaide always looked down on the rest of us.They were bigger and better than everyone else !!
Where was the help for North Adelaide
Where was the help for Sturt
Where was the help for Norwood
There was no help for West Torrens but I'm happy seeing grand final wins in my life time .
Why can not Port Adelaide do what the rest of the league had to do and survive.
Eagles turned a $350'000 loss in 08 around in 09
Why cant Port
Its to hard and the guys who walked around ovals with coffins in grandfinals have run home .
And just for the Record
Central Districts are the biggest team in the league .And they could have the gowans playing in wheel chairs in grand finals and the rest of us would be to slow!!!
Perhaps if your a Port fan you should be a member and attend every game.Buy raffle tickets etc from the club .Go to club events
Rather than live in the last century
its the 21st century and the name Port Adelaide is not associated with the BEST teams in the SANFL
Check out the teams in the 21st century that have won all the Grandfinals.
Sorry no Port Adelaide there !!!

DEAD TEAM WALKING

Remove this Banner Ad

Back