Port v Hawthorn gameday thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Over. Buddy Kicks one.

Great to see some effort, but it has been 41 minutes since a Port Goal. If that isn't a fade out???

The umpires have ****ed us, but we also havn't got the fitness base to be able to run out game (even against the Hawks.)

Phillips is worth another game, as is Pearce, but Hitchcock MUST go and get some form in the SANFL. He just kicked a goal from a free, but it is just not enough from the small, crumbing forward. If we were a powerhouse we could carry him until he finds form, but in this stage of our existance we can't afford to.

At the other extreme, I would say that we should persist with Pittard. I have faith in his ability to learn from him mistakes, and can put up with his failures by foot for now.

Phillips is def worth another game - maybe as the sub again?

Brogan is a Champ.

Happy with the boy's efforts tonight but frustrating to see the hard work undone by some shocking decisions by the umps :thumbsdown:

Oh and Brent f*cking Renouf. How the f*ck has he managed to kick 3 goals AGAIN against us! The bloke is considered to be one of the biggest spuds in the AFL!

Nicholls can just piss off. It's not the first game he's ruined (judging by everyone's comments and my view of the first quarter). Made a name for himself last year, with the Simon Black non-handball call and it's no surprise to see him bob up again :rolleyes:

Hawthorn are a good team. But really we should be dissapointed, at least theres hope. An hounorable loss almost, I'd take that over the last two weeks we've had. Sill bitterly dissapointed considering how we started tonight.

Happy with the boy's efforts tonight but frustrating to see the hard work undone by some shocking decisions by the umps :thumbsdown:

Not a good call. One third quarter decision doesn't cause players (in fact every player) to look stuffed and stop running.

We simply stopped running - defensively, we gave up far too much space and simply manned dead land. Offensively, we had nothing.

Phillips was the only player who looked capable of running at the end.

Kane Cornes looked stuffed.

Primus thought so hard about combating the substitute rule that he forgot the only way possible to make sure you beat it - get your players fitter.

They had a soft pre-season by Primus' admission and it is showing every week.

No confidence in their own fitness - part of the reason, they're not prepared to run.

Not a good call. One third quarter decision doesn't cause players (in fact every player) to look stuffed and stop running.

We simply stopped running - defensively, we gave up far too much space and simply manned dead land. Offensively, we had nothing.

Phillips was the only player who looked capable of running at the end.

Kane Cornes looked stuffed.

Primus thought so hard about combating the substitute rule that he forgot the only way possible to make sure you beat it - get your players fitter.

They had a soft pre-season by Primus' admission and it is showing every week.

No confidence in their own fitness - part of the reason, they're not prepared to run.

I think there are a tonne of reasons that could be thrown around for us losing that game. We can't be sure it was just the fitness of the players. IMO It was a combination of us losing momentum (arguably due to the umpires, and rodan) and not running as hard after that.

Hawthorn were stuffed too, and while we were arguably more stuffed, I think it can be argued that it was all in our heads. I don't think it was, just saying it was a combination of factors.

It was a bad loss no matter how you look at it. We absolutely capitulated in the last, and it showed in our efforts, particularly when the ball was in our 50 and we just weren't tackling hard enough etc.

The positive was that we at least got to see what Primus is aiming for, in the first half. Finally.

You guys got ****ed by the umps. That bald headed **** should get demoted to umpiring VFL twos.

Hitchcock, Kornes and Westhoff were hopefully wearing nappies...because all 3 of them shat themselves in at least one contest each in the last quarter. Thought Phillips showed a bit. I didn't see all the game but I didn't rate Grays last 1 and a bit quarters. Dropped an easy mark in the forward50 from a schulz pass and a bad turnover down back to Gibson. Sometimes he looks like he doesnt give a shit

Well you think I'd be used to going for a shut ****en team but it pisses me off everytime. 32 points! Where the **** did that come from.

Next time port go interstate they should leave pettigrew behind, I hope I never see that guy in a port jumper again. Just one of many I suppose

You guys got ****ed by the umps. That bald headed **** should get demoted to umpiring VFL twos.

This. I believe without the four goals that he gifted Hawthorn from incorrect decisions that we go on and win.

I'll never blame an umpire for a loss. At least not in the AFL. If you're in a position where you lost because of an umpiring decision, you didn't deserve to win. We didn't deserve to win. We had too many passengers that brought the whole team down. But hey, they were -young- so it's okay!!!!

you guys should take heart that you played a lot better this week, and made us look stupid for 3 quarters. Damn shame the injury to Rodan, no footy fan likes to see that, looked like his knee just went ping?

You may flame me for this, but while I though Pearce played well for you guys, he did too much smiling when he kicked points or made an error, he needs to find some hardness, and leave the smiling to the end of the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Started with some promise, but ultimately disappointing.

Definitely looking like 2000. We're not going to just flick a switch and come good but we are showing signs of slowly easing into form.

Was never confident. Showed some good signs but fell away too easily in the last quarter.

Just a few thoughts from tonight's match:

- While the crowd was less than we wanted, it was great to hear plenty of voice from the fans and some atmosphere. Unfortunately some of that voice was at those terrible umpiring decisions that at times really kept the Hawks in the game.
- Without a doubt our fitness really let us down. Through the third and into the last we couldn't persist with our pressure and run that we showed early and the backs for the Hawks just played possession footy with chip kicks and movement into space that changed the momentum of the game and brought them right back into it.
- Pittard's kicking is really becoming a liability! He has to be near the top of the league for turnovers and in defence they often cost goals. Let's just hope all this responsibility and pressure isn't going to hurt his confidence as he's shown some real potential with his run and attack from the back half this season.
- Brogan played his heart out as always but he really needs some solid support in the ruck. Roughhead was able to take advantage of a spent Brogs late in the game and win several taps. Roughy even had more taps than Renouf I think. Perhaps we're gonna have to play two rucks and maybe rest Brogs up forward at times or give him more frequent spells. No questioning the big fellas heart though, loved his effort.
- Thought Brogs, Pearce, Rodan, Hartlett and Kornes all played pretty well when we were up and about but Rodan's injury really set us back as he was having a real crack tonight.
- Among those who might get dropped gotta think Hitchcock isn't doing enough to deserve his spot as he has no influence on games and really shows nothing dangerous to the opposition. Broadbent was a passenger again tonight at times but I did think he showed a few nice things early on off the back of the pack. Schulz also didn't look match fit.
- If Jacobs is ready and performs well against the Eagles he's gotta be in contention and I'd love to see Chad get a few more games to prove himself while Schulz goes back to the SANFL to get himself fit.

All in all some good signs from the boys tonight but again not being able to play 4 quarters of solid footy has hurt us.

A massive group of obnoxious Crows fans who sat right amongst us at the Showdown are back again decked out head to toe in Hawks gear, flags and all. ****ing mental cases.

These ****heads must have gone out and spend hundreds of dollars on Hawks apparel. Came and sat in the heart of the cheer squad once the game was over. Gutless wonders.... hope they get whats coming to them.

These ****heads must have gone out and spend hundreds of dollars on Hawks apparel. Came and sat in the heart of the cheer squad once the game was over. Gutless wonders.... hope they get whats coming to them.

Further proving what we already knew - Crows supporters take greater pleasure from our team losing than their team winning.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back