Autopsy Port v Melbourne review

Remove this Banner Ad

lol. "switched on" "coming for us".
Why the * aren't we coming for them? Why aren't we being ruthless?
We haven't beaten a quality side going on 3 seasons. Hearing the same old bullshit.
This has been going far beyond just this season ladies, gentleman and everything in between.

I think we're part of a group of teams that sits below the top tier. Teams in that group could play each other two weeks in a row, and you'd have two different winners. There's little to separate the teams. The difference between winning and losing comes down to variables like "kicking accuracy", "tactics", "days since last game", "mentally attitude", "clangers", and a "favourable free kick count". The list goes on.

If Port played Melbourne next week at the MCG, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if we came out as winners. You can argue who's in the 2nd tier but I'd include teams like Melbourne, the Bulldogs, West Coast Eagles and Richmond.
I like your sliding doors mirror universe

It sounds great.

But let's not dream past losses into victories, that's called cognitive dissonance and is very dangerous

Port it's pretty much

Defensive line >>>> contested midfielders >>>>>>>>>>>daylight >>>>>>> amateur level >>>>forwards ability to kick goals >>>>>>toddler>>> midfielders / half forwards / forwards ability to use the ball to deliver into 50.

Then >>>>>>>> Ken

Has Ryder been spotted scrapping for a ball on the deck this season? Yes keeping your feet is an asset but I'm now convinced his mentality is all about winning hit outs being his role. He's in cruise mode and needs to get a bit of mongrel. Just an observation about his play that irritates me.

I like your sliding doors mirror universe

It sounds great.

But let's not dream past losses into victories, that's called cognitive dissonance and is very dangerous
I think a game of football is a complex system, with the outcome dependent on a lot of variables. It's not easy to distill the reasons for a loss or a win especially when a lot of emotion is involved.

I think a game of football is a complex system, with the outcome dependent on a lot of variables. It's not easy to distill the reasons for a loss or a win especially when a lot of emotion is involved.
Winning teams exploit that win/ lose vulnerability and mentality

This is where we break down

I don't know why.

That fecking 73 year old Nana would probably have a fair gauge on why tbh

Last edited:
Winning teams exploit that win/ loss vulnerability

In our defence there are 17 other teams seeking the same answers to consistency this season. That's a cop out but PMP makes a point.

Yes you just have to check the forums of every other team in our position and the want the coach sacked -players moved on- complain about gold passes. Imagine if club CEOs and coaches did what BF experts demand...we'd have musical coaches and players year in year out. Everyone hurts after a loss and there's a lot more to it than the obvious.

Another thing; kick outs.

How many times did we simply bomb to a tall on the left flank who was outnumbered 2:1 sometimes even 3:1.

It happened over and over again, and 9 times out of 10 the tall on the receiving end would lose the contest thus creating a repeat entry and scoring opportunity for Melbourne.

Its a classic example of our inability to adjust and revert to a different play when our preferred set play gets shutdown.

No battle plan ever survives contact with the enemy. Thats a fact. And the side that wins, more often than not, is the side that is best able to adjust to the situation as it is unfolding.

Its definately an area we struggle with.
Usually straight to.Max Gawn like we were kicking it to him

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yes you just have to check the forums of every other team in our position and the want the coach sacked -players moved on- complain about gold passes. Imagine if club CEOs and coaches did what BF experts demand...we'd have musical coaches and players year in year out. Everyone hurts after a loss and there's a lot more to it than the obvious.

I'm as guilty as anyone but our assessments are clouded by our emotions. And footy is a highly emotive game.

Your dear old mum has given me fecking I'm now using it fecking in my everyday language and loving it

Feck dis, feck dat, for feck's sake, feckin eejit, feckin a-hole - feck was her favourite feckin' word.

She mostly referred to me as "feck arse."

One day she even called the next door neighbour a "mother fecker."

Lol, Mum, WHUT!!!???

Last edited:
In our defence there are 17 other teams seeking the same answers to consistency this season. That's a cop out but PMP makes a point.

Yes pmp does.
I edited my reply. It's actually a really good, and important point probably the most important one worth having

We can't win 3. We choked in geelong. Each time we have known it was right here, we dropped it. Yes others do so, but I think it is objective to say we do it predictably, which is what makes it so hard to stomach

Gold passes, not playing a realistic forward set up, changing things mid game once they start working

It doesn't make sense.

A flag was there for the taking this season. Stubbornness and lack of accountability have ruined the best opportunity we have had in 10 years.

It hurts that we didn't turn up yesterday

Highly paid professionals

It's not right that we can tell not 5 minutes into a game how it will play out

We know this. I'll tell you now the opposition coaches know it.

Kens had his time

5 seasons. Minimal player development. Time to pull up stumps

I don't care about the other clubs. I don't care that they have their own cognitive biases and gold passes.

I work in the share market. Every buy or sell you make is to a person you believe is wrong.

Winners recognize an opportunity and exploit it. That is_how_you win

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm as guilty as anyone but our assessments are clouded by our emotions. And footy is a highly emotive game.
As is bigfooty and hotcopper.. Where many look at the name of the poster before reading the post on its merits

Watch horn vs Pacquiao. ESPN vs the British box nation coverage

Watch a game with the volume off. Appears quite different.

Plus no Bruce creaming over "Cyril"

Before their 1991 premiership Penrith Panthers were known as the chocolate soldiers because they melted in the heat. Until we win one of these games we wear that harsh but applicable moniker. Melbourne ambushed us and the club didn't see it coming.

Strikes me as strange that our defence has been the most reliable part of our team this year but it's the one area Ken keeps tinkering with. The forward line needs a welter of inside 50s to kick a winning score but doesn't get any sort of makeover.

Oh well, on to next week and St Kilda.
Actually they were called the chocolate soldiers because their Jersey was once brown.

Yes pmp does.
I edited my reply. It's actually a really good, and important point probably the most important one worth having

We can't win 3. We choked in geelong. Each time we have known it was right here, we dropped it. Yes others do so, but I think it is objective to say we do it predictably, which is what makes it so hard to stomach

Gold passes, not playing a realistic forward set up, changing things mid game once they start working

It doesn't make sense.

A flag was there for the taking this season. Stubbornness and lack of accountability have ruined the best opportunity we have had in 10 years.

It hurts that we didn't turn up yesterday

Highly paid professionals

It's not right that we can tell not 5 minutes into a game how it will play out

We know this. I'll tell you now the opposition coaches know it.

Kens had his time

5 seasons. Minimal player development. Time to pull up stumps
Good post.
Rember back when Port defeated the Bays in the GF and G Cornes said to the port boys after, there was no logical reason why you won today, that is what we are missing, the will and desire to win at all costs and make every port fan proud and every opposition supporter ponder why this club is so good.

As it stands I have no issue if Boak was captain again in 2018
We need to ask what is different though.

Why is he playing like old? Is it mental? body fitness? Boosting?

What happened to him. These are 2 completely different players.

If he had that in him but is just trying then that is a cancer and we need to move him away from the club as fast as possible

The difference is daylight.

Where has that been? Where is _this_ coming from? How do we bottle that?

Good post.
Rember back when Port defeated the Bays in the GF and G Cornes said to the port boys after, there was no logical reason why you won today, that is what we are missing, the will and desire to win at all costs and make every port fan proud and every opposition supporter ponder why this club is so good.
Live. 88 wasn't it? God it was brilliant. What a soon. Was a knife to his gut to see his son end up playing for us

Post game a supporter called up complaining about he players. Kane said but who would you pick, waiting to tear his suggestions down.

However this is Kens and the clubs problem. 5 years in to build his list, he doesn't have confidence plant player no 25 on the roster!

Is that the players fault? Supporters fault or Kens and the development team?

On the radio it sounded like Travis field kicking wasn't that great, was that true? Obviously his goal kicking was on.

Field kicking was shocking, missed targets 15 metres away by foot at least twice. Cost us goals. But he played a ripper and his endeavour couldn't be questioned.

I think we're part of a group of teams that sits below the top tier. Teams in that group could play each other two weeks in a row, and you'd have two different winners. There's little to separate the teams. The difference between winning and losing comes down to variables like "kicking accuracy", "tactics", "days since last game", "mentally attitude", "clangers", and a "favourable free kick count". The list goes on.

If Port played Melbourne next week at the MCG, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if we came out as winners. You can argue who's in the 2nd tier but I'd include teams like Melbourne, the Bulldogs, West Coast Eagles and Richmond.

So are we supposed to just accept the fact that we're a rung below the top tier teams and deal with it? Even though the top tier teams include teams like Adelaide and Geelong who on no objective measure have our playing list covered for talent man for man?

We've got a relatively mature team stacked full of first round draft picks and experienced players traded in on big money to fill the gaps. We've got a coach in his fifth season surrounded by support staff and resources at least on par with every other club and well exceeding some. The club has never been in a better position to challenge. And yet here we are, as ordinary as ever, fighting to somehow finish above superpowers like Essendon and St Kilda in the race for that coveted 8th position.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back