Ports SAnFL premiership record!

Remove this Banner Ad

McAlmanac said:
Port Adelaide Magpies are the new entity.

Yeah, then why on channel 7 news a fortnight ago(the night of the final round) did Bruce Abernethy say "it is the first time in their proud history they have missed the finals 3 years in a row"?

Uncle Steve said:
Correction Correction:

Port (SANFL) 36
Port (AFL) 0

this can be confirmed by inspection of the respective honour boards in the Alberton clubrooms.
Were the last two SANFL premierships won by the same club as the first 34?

Uncle Steve said:
Correction Correction:

Port (SANFL) 36
Port (AFL) 0

this can be confirmed by inspection of the respective honour boards in the Alberton clubrooms.

Sorry to disappoint, but when Port Adelaide entered the AFL in 1997, they went through great lengths to explain to everybody that the club that was in the AFL was the same Port Adelaide who had won 34 premierships in the SANFL up to 1996, and that the Port Adelaide Magpies were a new club who, if you recall, were based at Ethelton for the first few years of their existance, and were only recently brought back to Alberton.

This is not my opinion, this was a directive from the Port Adelaide Football Club themsleves.

If they are claiming 36 flags in the SANFL, then they are having their cake and eating it as well because they claim 34 SANFL flags as part of the history of the AFL club ... as seen by the heritage jumpers.

sapaul said:
Yeah, then why on channel 7 news a fortnight ago(the night of the final round) did Bruce Abernethy say "it is the first time in their proud history they have missed the finals 3 years in a row"?
When you watch commercial television news, integrity loses its firewall.

sapaul said:

He was right. The club has been operating since 1997, and this is the first time they've missed the finals 3 years in a row.

Adelaide Hawk said:
Sorry to disappoint, but when Port Adelaide entered the AFL in 1997, they went through great lengths to explain to everybody that the club that was in the AFL was the same Port Adelaide who had won 34 premierships in the SANFL up to 1996, and that the Port Adelaide Magpies were a new club who, if you recall, were based at Ethelton for the first few years of their existance, and were only recently brought back to Alberton.

This is not my opinion, this was a directive from the Port Adelaide Football Club themsleves.

If they are claiming 36 flags in the SANFL, then they are having their cake and eating it as well because they claim 34 SANFL flags as part of the history of the AFL club ... as seen by the heritage jumpers.

Beleve me, your being wrong does not disappoint me.

The SANFL Port honour board stretches back to the dark ages - the Power board stretches back to 1997.

The SANFL Port is the one which wears the same guernseys, has the same recruitment zone, same SANFL fans, had the same playing list after the AFL Port was born, organises premiership reunion dinners for pre-1997 Port teams, is the same business entity (as far as I can tell through personal inspection of ATSIC records), and so on.

The AFL Port - or more accurately, its fans - bleat "we are the original Port", and supply no evidence to support this claim.

Now if you want to believe that Port Pwer is the original Port, go right ahead. You are in good company; the minority of footy fans who follow Port - the AFL's least supported team - share your belief.

Me, I prefer to stake my belief in objective reality.

Adelaide Hawk said:
If you won't believe what I am telling you, then I suggest you contact either Brian Cunningham or Michelangelo Rucci, and they will put it straight for you.

And if you needed education about the curvature of the planet upon which we stand, would you call the Flat Earth Society for advice?

No Uncle Steve, it is you who is wrong. Do yourself a favour and talk to the people involved in entering Port Adelaide into the AFL. I think they might know a little bit about it, don't you?

Personally, I couldn't care less which Port Adelaide is which. I just happen to know the facts. Do some research, talk to the RIGHT people, and not a handful of social drinkers at the club, and you may come up with the correct answer.

The right people are those involved in the setting up of the AFL licence. No better place to start than Brian Cunningham. I think you may agree he might know just a "little" more about it than you, don't you think?

Adelaide Hawk said:
No Uncle Steve, it is you who is wrong. Do yourself a favour and talk to the people involved in entering Port Adelaide into the AFL. I think they might know a little bit about it, don't you?

Personally, I couldn't care less which Port Adelaide is which. I just happen to know the facts. Do some research, talk to the RIGHT people, and not a handful of social drinkers at the club, and you may come up with the correct answer.

The right people are those involved in the setting up of the AFL licence. No better place to start than Brian Cunningham. I think you may agree he might know just a "little" more about it than you, don't you think?

Do yourself a favour and extend your research beyond those people who have a vested interest in the Port Adelaide AFL club. Read newspapers. Examine the business registers. Compare the dates of actual events with the timelines asserted by the Port fans. Examine the staff movements of the Port Magpies at the time of the Port AFL entry. Examine the transfer of assets between the two entities. Consider which of the two clubs currently services the Port Adelaide history and tradition. Go to Alberton and examine the honour boards of the two clubs.

In short - gather the facts from unbiased sources and use your own rational mind to determine the truth instead of having it dictated to you by others.

I don't doubt that Mr. Cunningham knows more anout it than me. I do however doubt his capacity to present an unbiased case.

Anytime you want to compare your research with mine, just say the word. I expect you to present newspaper articles, business registers, interviews and historical evidence to support your case. I expect much, much more than "because Mr. Cunningham says so".

Uncle Steve said:
Do yourself a favour and extend your research beyond those people who have a vested interest in the Port Adelaide AFL club. Read newspapers. Examine the business registers. Compare the dates of actual events with the timelines asserted by the Port fans. Examine the staff movements of the Port Magpies at the time of the Port AFL entry. Examine the transfer of assets between the two entities. Consider which of the two clubs currently services the Port Adelaide history and tradition. Go to Alberton and examine the honour boards of the two clubs.

In short - gather the facts from unbiased sources and use your own rational mind to determine the truth instead of having it dictated to you by others.

I don't doubt that Mr. Cunningham knows more anout it than me. I do however doubt his capacity to present an unbiased case.

Anytime you want to compare your research with mine, just say the word. I expect you to present newspaper articles, business registers, interviews and historical evidence to support your case. I expect much, much more than "because Mr. Cunningham says so".

I am with you Steve, there is no way on earth anyone can convince me Port Power will be playing for their 37th premiership on Saturday 25th September. They are playing for their 1st and good luck to them . And Brian Cunningham will always say the opposite because he uses the ''tradition'' line to suck in members. Maybe all people need to read is the Adelaide Advertiser Sept 9th

http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au/footy03/story_page/0,8747,10711066%5E21546,00.html

article on PA Magpies and the quote by the President David Basheer

''There is no doubt we took a hit seven years ago with the Power coming into the AFL. A lot of our income streams have been depleted but we have readjusted our budgets.

"We can survive alongside the Power. I treat it as one family, one football family with two clubs. It is like a daughter getting married and she takes another name – the family is still intact."

So did you want to claim your sisters netball trophies?

Anyway I know all this is true....my mum told me

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So the SAnFL started in 1907.... 10 years after the VFL yet your claiming the SAFA it evolved out of started in 1877, 20 years prior to the VFL.

Maybe we should encourage all Victorian AFL Clubs to now submit the VFA records into their VFL/AFL history.

Can't have ya cake and eat it, some fair minded people would call it being generous with the truth!

tess said:
So the SAnFL started in 1907.... 10 years after the VFL yet your claiming the SAFA it evolved out of started in 1877, 20 years prior to the VFL.

Maybe we should encourage all Victorian AFL Clubs to now submit the VFA records into their VFL/AFL history.

Can't have ya cake and eat it, some fair minded people would call it being generous with the truth!

Why dont people recognize regional records as a separate issue. e.g. Essendons VFA record Essendons VFL record and then Essendons AFL record
I noticed the AFL do..look at Brisbanes entry in the AFL they separate Fitzroy and Brisbane Premierships

You cant claim records from a competition you didnt play in..for all those Port supporters who claim to do so think about this..the AFL IS an extension of the VFL pre 1991 Any team can only claim an AFL record after those dates and so Adelaide has 2 flags in the AFL and Port has 0 :D

Uncle Steve said:
The SANFL Port is the one which wears the same guernseys, has the same recruitment zone, same SANFL fans, had the same playing list after the AFL Port was born, organises premiership reunion dinners for pre-1997 Port teams, is the same business entity (as far as I can tell through personal inspection of ATSIC records), and so on.
Same fans? A bit cheeky claiming that one when it's less than 20% of the previous constituency. Where are the other 80%? Watching the PAFC (along with the obvious newbies). With regard to guernsies - if they could have, they would be wearing the jailbar guernsey in the AFL.

As for inspecting ATSIC records - how much is Geoff Clark's salary? ;)

Uncle Steve said:

Whilst I'm a biased source in this if you claim the Port Magpies are the old club can you explain to me why I as a member of the Port Adelaide Football Club attended a special general meeting and voted to approve the club's entry to the AFL.

I also have had my PAFC membership renewed each year whilst in 1997 I had to apply for membership to the PAMFC who had to leave Alberton Oval at the insistince of the other SANFL clubs to ensure they did not get any benefit from the PAFC's facilities.

People will always argue this on semantics and their personal biased points of view but you can't refute that it was the PAFC that applied to get the second AFL licence, was successful with it's bid and after approval of the PAFC membership made the move into the AFL.

Port Power (hehe) were forced to enter a team in the SANFL I believe. Hence the PAMFC was born. Do they (PAFC) have any ongoing resposibility for the team they were forced to enter (PAMFC)? Sounds to me like they dont, as they are not allowed to give them assistance. It's all very strange, just like the whole PAFC v PAMFC debate.

dreamkillers said:
Whilst I'm a biased source in this if you claim the Port Magpies are the old club can you explain to me why I as a member of the Port Adelaide Football Club attended a special general meeting and voted to approve the club's entry to the AFL.

I also have had my PAFC membership renewed each year whilst in 1997 I had to apply for membership to the PAMFC who had to leave Alberton Oval at the insistince of the other SANFL clubs to ensure they did not get any benefit from the PAFC's facilities.

People will always argue this on semantics and their personal biased points of view but you can't refute that it was the PAFC that applied to get the second AFL licence, was successful with it's bid and after approval of the PAFC membership made the move into the AFL.
I can't explain why you attended that meeting dreamy - only you can answer that, as only you are responsible for your actions.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Port Power bought the oval from Port Magpies. Certainly money changed hands. This makes sense only if Port Magpies owned the oval to start with - and therefore was the original entity. Incidentally, I recall that the Power also displaced the Alberton Cricket Club (which was older than the original football club!) from the oval. The reason for this, and the relocation of the Magpies, was not to satisfy some imaginary fear from the SANFL clubs, but because Port foresaw the need for exclusive use of the oval, even in the off season

On your final point, I agree wholeheartedly. The Power was put together by Port Adelaide under subcontract to the SANFL. It was made by Port, populated by Port, and has every claim to the Port heritage. I simply disagree that it is the original Port, because the line trotted out by the Port fans is in flagrant violation of observable facts. Port Power is <b>a</b> Port - but it's not <b>the</b> Port. I am at a loss to understand why the dinkum Port fans - the ones who follow both Ports - would want to think otherwise.

Good luck to you and your mob this week dreamy, I guess they've been ripe for a few years now, and I can think of a lot of people who deserve it less than your fine self. Hope you enjoy it even if your team doesn't get up.

Sturt2002 said:
Port Power (hehe) were forced to enter a team in the SANFL I believe. Hence the PAMFC was born. Do they (PAFC) have any ongoing resposibility for the team they were forced to enter (PAMFC)? Sounds to me like they dont, as they are not allowed to give them assistance. It's all very strange, just like the whole PAFC v PAMFC debate.
Actually, the guidelines published by the SANFL when it opened the tender for the second license called for the winning bid to retain a presence in the SANFL.

Port Adelaide had every intention of retaining a presence in the SANFL. Brian Cunningham claimed as much in a newspaper article published some time before Port won the license; I still have it floating around in my memorabilia somewhere.

Of the three bids, only the Eagles suggested that they wanted to secede from the SANFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back