Possible Delisitng

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam Hunt is not an A level player and Matthew Spencer is downright lazy - wouldn't keep either.
I'd be reluctant to let Enright go but he might be just what another club is looking for.
Teach Byrnes to kick straight, someone, please; he gets a lot of the ball but .....and Callan is worth keeping.

Regarding Owen vs Varcoe debate:

I think there is a massive relevance regarding pick difference. We drafted Varcoe with the knowledge that he was injured and 06 was a writeoff. With Owen it was not the case, his injury was diagnosed after the draft if I remember correctly. Furthermore of coarse you are going to give your first pick more time to prove himself than pick 35.

Regarding comment about being stuck in window of last year. I must admit I am guilty of this. I have only watch 1 vfl game on ABC this year, I hear he has improved so maybe his name doesn't belong on the list.

At any rate:
David Johnson & Hunt are not delisting options. They are regulars in our side. Perhaps we could trade one but we don't have a lot of options in the back pocket.

King is not a forced retirement IMO, if he wants to continue then I am all for him being on the list, even if he is playing backup to Ottens and Blake.

In an ideal wourld I would
Delist:
Spencer, Gardiner, Playfair
Promote:
Grima
Trade:
Byrnes + 3rd round -------> Late 2nd round draft pick
Draft:
Pick 1 - Ruckmen
Pick 2 - Donohue (Estimated worth)
Pick 3 - KP Backmen

In an ideal wourld I would
Delist:
Spencer, Gardiner, Playfair
Promote:
Grima
Trade:
Byrnes + 3rd round -------> Late 2nd round draft pick
Draft:
Pick 1 - Ruckmen
Pick 2 - Donohue (Estimated worth)
Pick 3 - KP Backmen

I dont understand why people keep saying we should use our first pick to get a ruckman. Not counting King, we have Blake (young & almost good enough for no.1 spot, not quite), Ottens (our best ruckmen, still hopefully with several good years ahead of him) and West (promising, still with a lot of years to develop).

With Ablett, Mooney, Hawkins, etc likely to be in our forward line for many years to come, Ottens can be used 90% of the time as a ruckman. Why should we waste a no.1 pick on another ruckman?

I dont understand why people keep saying we should use our first pick to get a ruckman. Not counting King, we have Blake (young & almost good enough for no.1 spot, not quite), Ottens (our best ruckmen, still hopefully with several good years ahead of him) and West (promising, still with a lot of years to develop).

With Ablett, Mooney, Hawkins, etc likely to be in our forward line for many years to come, Ottens can be used 90% of the time as a ruckman. Why should we waste a no.1 pick on another ruckman?

If we draft a ruckmen this year it is unlikely they will make an impact until their 4th year. In 5 years time Ottens and King will be gone, at the very best Ottens will be finishing up. I think a ruckmen is a priority along with a key backmen.

There is a lot of talk of there being up to 5-6 ruckmen in the top 10 draft picks. I am tipping at least 1 of them will slide to 16 :D.

If we draft a ruckmen this year it is unlikely they will make an impact until their 4th year. In 5 years time Ottens and King will be gone, at the very best Ottens will be finishing up. I think a ruckmen is a priority along with a key backmen.

There is a lot of talk of there being up to 5-6 ruckmen in the top 10 draft picks. I am tipping at least 1 of them will slide to 16 :D.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't young Couch eligible for the draft this year? Or was it some other father-son?

Kreuzer, I want him.

As has been said, it's a long term thing. By the time West is getting into good form Ottens will be on the verge of retirement, so it'll be good to have a backup ruckman. That and there's always the possibility of playing three - West might have the ability to fill a KPP position as well.

By the same token, though, unless there is an absolutely sensational ruck prospect up for grabs I'd be inclined to wait for the 2nd round and go on 'best available' or a KPP before a ruck.

As has been said, it's a long term thing. By the time West is getting into good form Ottens will be on the verge of retirement, so it'll be good to have a backup ruckman. That and there's always the possibility of playing three - West might have the ability to fill a KPP position as well.

By the same token, though, unless there is an absolutely sensational ruck prospect up for grabs I'd be inclined to wait for the 2nd round and go on 'best available' or a KPP before a ruck.

Thats what i was thinking. Its such a huge risk using a top pick on a ruckman cos the ruckmen dont develop fully until later on, so u dont know exactly how good they will end up being. Take Josh Fraser for instance, Number 1 pick, and i doubt he has turned out the way the Pies hoped he would.

Thats what i was thinking. Its such a huge risk using a top pick on a ruckman cos the ruckmen dont develop fully until later on, so u dont know exactly how good they will end up being. Take Josh Fraser for instance, Number 1 pick, and i doubt he has turned out the way the Pies hoped he would.

Geez I don't know:
Fraser No.1 - (4th in B&F last year)
White 1 - AA ruckmen
Kosi No.2 - Rising Star winner (Injury cursed)
Ottens No.2 - AA Ruckmen
Longmuir No.1 - Solid not great
Gardiner No.1 (Compensation pick) - AA ruckmen
King (Compensation pick) - AA Ruckmen

That is 4 AA ruckmen and the other three are all good players. I would say that is a very good success rate.

Hale No.7 - Vice Capt
McIntosh No. 9 - 1st Ruck
Minson No.20 - 1st ruck (Battler)
Ryder No.7 - Looks a gun
Wood No 18 - Looks a gun
Bailey No.18 - looked good before knee injury
Meeson No. 8 - The jury is still out

Brooks (No 15) & Laycock (No.10) look to be the only duds I know of but they may still come good.

I would suggest that picking up a ruckmen early has been quite successfull. Granted Cox & Sandi came from the rookie list but they are freak athletes made into footballers.

Some players likely to taken around our pick:

Matew Kreuzer- Ruckmen/Tall Forward 196cm, gun most are saying will be pick No.1
Bellchambers - Ruckmen/Forward 196 cm playing very well likely top 10 pick
Steven Gaetner - Ruckmen\Backmen 197cm extremely athletic big man, poor kicking action is keeping him out of most peoples top 10.
Brent Connelly - Ruckmen 198cm a smokie not many have heard of but definetly one to watch
Lachlan Henderson - Key Forward/Ruckmen 196cm - Geelong boy just broke his leg so may slide outside of top 10.
Ben Mcvoy - Ruckmen 198cm wins a lot of the ball and is a good tap ruckmen. Most would say he is a top 20 pick
James Wundke
- Ruckmen/Tall Forward 195cm good skills, Kicked 5 for North Adelaide reserves in the GF last year another likely top 20.
James Mulligan - Ruckmen 198cm likely top 30.

That is 7 ruckmen (8 if you include Henderson) that are expected to go in the top 25.

Other possibilites

Scott Selwood & Reece Prismall may be in the mix.
Jarad Grant - Key Backmen likely top 10 pick
Tom McNamara - Key backmen picked up 38 possies in one U16 carnival game.

Plenty that would suit us in that lot

Geez I don't know:
Fraser No.1 - (4th in B&F last year)
White 1 - AA ruckmen
Kosi No.2 - Rising Star winner (Injury cursed)
Ottens No.2 - AA Ruckmen
Longmuir No.1 - Solid not great
Gardiner No.1 (Compensation pick) - AA ruckmen
King (Compensation pick) - AA Ruckmen

That is 4 AA ruckmen and the other three are all good players. I would say that is a very good success rate.

Hale No.7 - Vice Capt
McIntosh No. 9 - 1st Ruck
Minson No.20 - 1st ruck (Battler)
Ryder No.7 - Looks a gun
Wood No 18 - Looks a gun
Bailey No.18 - looked good before knee injury
Meeson No. 8 - The jury is still out

Brooks (No 15) & Laycock (No.10) look to be the only duds I know of but they may still come good.

I would suggest that picking up a ruckmen early has been quite successfull. Granted Cox & Sandi came from the rookie list but they are freak athletes made into footballers.

DOnt have access to the data that u obviously have but all i can say is : Steven Hooper... :D

ben mcevoy would be great for a second round would like a gun fast midfielder or gun kpp backman for first hopefully donohue drops to third (hes underage)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ben mcevoy would be great for a second round would like a gun fast midfielder or gun kpp backman for first hopefully donohue drops to third (hes underage)

Yeah that could be a very real possibility. You'd think a couple of those ruckmen will slide. Maybe Gaetner is a possibility. Althletic backmen/ruckmen could kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Donohue is hard to estimate because likw you said he is bottom aged. He is proving to be a very good player with excellent skills which I rate likely to go 20-40 at this stage. Puts him in the 2-3rd pick. Geelong may even ask him to hold of nominating until next year if they think they will benefit more.

Not a lot of good midfeilders in this draft. Pat Vespremi, Scott Selwood & Bradley Ebert are probably the ones that will be taken around our pick.

Gotchin & Masten will be long gone I think

Remove this Banner Ad

Back