Possible Delisitng

Remove this Banner Ad

• playfair
  • stevie owen
  • shannon byrnes
these boys are all in strife if they dont see regular afl action this year which is pretty doubtful for playfair and own but byrnes might get the chance he needs to play very consistant!

are you serious mate? u r a joke in saying that. hawkins and selwood are the future of the club, in a good 7 years time these 2 will be unstoppable, u seriously need to get a grip on things

Oh dear....:(

We need to delist 3 players at the end of the year,what would you suggest? :confused:

Hmm its a difficult one, a lot of our guys who aren't getting game time are very young (Sam Hunt, Gamble etc) Being in WA I don't get a chance to see these guys playing the VFL so I'm not really qualified to comment.

Perhaps:
Playfair
Stephen Owen
????

We need to delist 3 players at the end of the year,what would you suggest? :confused:

4 because i think we will want grima on the main list

are you serious mate? u r a joke in saying that. hawkins and selwood are the future of the club, in a good 7 years time these 2 will be unstoppable, u seriously need to get a grip on things

Some people really are very stupid!!:rolleyes:

How about a swap, Tenace for Chris Egan. ( both top 10 picks )

I'd be looking at getting rid of Callan, Spencer, Gardiner, Playfair and possibly Byrnes.

elevate Grima and maybe Davenport. take 3 or 4 picks into the draft.

Sam Hunt will also be delisted IMO.

No way in hell J.Hunt or Tenace will be delisted.

I think it will be:
Playfair
Spencer
Gardiner
Owen

With Reynolds to also lose his spot. Grima will definately be promoted. Callan and Byrnes are the only other two that should be considered with King potentially retiring, but they probably should be given another year IMO.

It was joke mate. As pointed out by the toungue poking it's tongue out at you... Funnier that you thought i was serious :p

You'd think Gardiner would be on his last notice...
I doubt they'd drop Owen without giving him a game. It's only his 2nd year. Does anyone know much about him? Same with Gamble, still his 2nd year...

None of the fringe players at the moment will go i.e. Byrnes, Hunt, Playfair e.t.c. They're all good insurance if we have any injuries...

They might delist a player or 2 and then Re-Draft him. Perhaps Callan or Spencer. Who knows, it's still very early. Some of these players might succeed when they get a chance to show what they can do, like Tenace is at the moment...

If I had to say though, I think the Abletts are gone... :p

If I had to say though, I think the Abletts are gone... :p

I get it ...... Abletts ..... Its a joke
Thats a good one Hood

I'd like to know why people are big on delisting Owen.

Given the lad had as much of an interrupted start to his career as Varcoe did, should he not too be afforded similar latitude in making his mark? We are, after all, talking about his second year here; hardly had much of a chance to show anything. So, then, given we pretty much write off last year, it's hard to see why he would be delisted on the proviso of his current form, which has been nothing short of solid-to-good off the half back flank.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're right about these 2nd year players, they do deserve an opportunity. It comes down to a question of list management.

Do we go for the premiership now and retain our scond stringers to ensure depth. That means lmited opportunities for younger players who instant hits like selwood.

Or do we delist the second stringers and look to develop the Grimas, Owens, Gambles etc.

All deserve their place, Byrnes, Playfair, Tenace, Gardiner, these guys have struggled their guts out for the club, their return may have not been what was hoped for but I'm a bit uncomfortable with the way people are so demeaning of their contribution and happy to cast them aside during a time when we need depth.

Owen was a suprise pick late in the draft, Varcoe was bargain pick early in the draft, there is a massive difference. Varcoe was also better in the VFL than Owen was.
We are forced to draft 3 players which means a minimum of three have to go. Most people want to keep one of Gardiner, Playfair, Spencer, Owen, Byrnes, Callan, and King are the only realistic options IMO.

Callan & Byrnes I would like to give more time.
King depends entirely on what he wants to do IMO
That leaves Gardiner, Playfair, Spencer & Owen. Many believe we should keep one of the older big guys as a backup

Owen was a suprise pick late in the draft, Varcoe was bargain pick early in the draft, there is a massive difference. Varcoe was also better in the VFL than Owen was.
We are forced to draft 3 players which means a minimum of three have to go. Most people want to keep one of Gardiner, Playfair, Spencer, Owen, Byrnes, Callan, and King are the only realistic options IMO.

Callan & Byrnes I would like to give more time.
King depends entirely on what he wants to do IMO
That leaves Gardiner, Playfair, Spencer & Owen. Many believe we should keep one of the older big guys as a backup

How long has Callan been around? Surely he would be getting a game by now if he could cut it??

Owen was pick 35, and hardly a surprise late pick (certainly no more so than guys like Vegas and Stokesy at the time).

And in the case of injury, there is little relevance in the pick difference between Varcoe and Owen at this point in time. It certainly shouldn't be the reason we give lenience to Varcoe's case, and not Owen's. Granted Varcoe showed more glimpses than Owen, but the overriding factor is that both had interruted preseasons and were subsequently not physically at the required level for much of the season. I don't see why Varcoe should gain the passable token of writing off last year and being given the chance to start over (and be ajudged on) this year, whilst Owen is still being judged on last years efforts.

And in any case, since I have the feeling many are still stuck in the window of last year with him, his performances this year would hardly warrant any such delisting talk (if anything, he's probably back on the same ledger as guys like Vegas - the promising future).

Football's a tough business. A lot of good but not great players get thrown on to the scrap heap in their early-mid 20s. That's the way it works. And if we want to be a premiership side we need to make the tough decisions and not continue to reward battlers with a spot on the list.

Under the draft rules, three have to go at a minimum. King might retire if he gets cut down by injury again without getting a decent run in the seniors, but I think its pretty unlikely. So three.

Then we have Grima, who must either be promoted or dumped. Is he more value to the team than our 35th-best listed player? If so, we should promote him and dump a fourth.

I'm not sure but I think Davenport can have another year on the rookie list. If not, is he more value than our 34th-best listed player?

Can Lonergan play senior footy again? He was carving up Melbourne in the game he got injured, and on that form I think he would definitely have a future as a key defender. Is he more value than our 33rd-best listed player? My guess is that he will never be the player he could have been, and is unlikely to make it back, although I hope I'm wrong.

Assuming Davenport can stay a rookie, I think he will along with Bedford, and I also think that if Grima continues his current form we will definitely promote him as a backup tall forward who will take over that role permanently when Moons moves out (either retires or moves up the field).

So I think at least four have to go, and at the moment the contenders for mine would be:
Playfair
Spencer
Gardiner
Callan
S Hunt (might survive in the short term)
Byrnes (trade - likely to have some value)
J Hunt (trade - likely to have some value too)

Reynolds will be dumped as well, but he is only a rookie.

I wouldn't trade any of the younger kids yet. These blokes have all been around for a while and have failed to show that they can make it, so some will have to go. Sure they might be OK backup if we get a lot injuries, but the only other option is to dump kids who haven't had a reasonable chance to prove themselves (and all of whom have shown some signs). Can we afford to keep mediocrity on the list at the expense of kids who at best will be good players and at worst could stand in next year as backup options at probably the same level as those listed above? Seems a no-brainer to me.

That probably means we would need to draft some height, but we need to anyway to top up our ruck stocks and to cover the likely loss in next few years of Scarlett and Harley (both getting close to 30). And we HAVE been an overly tall VFL side for the last couple of years.

Charlie Gardiner is prolly gone. Played his first game in 2002, hasn't really had an impact and will I think be lucky to play a senior game this year.

Similarly H would need a drastic turn around in form to hold his place.

David Johnson? I'd hate to see him go.

I always thought very highly of Reynolds at the Dons and could never understand why he couldn't get a game while duds were regularly picked. He's a strong mark and a good kick. I was thrilled when he came to the Cats. I suspect his AFL career is over but I would still give him a run ahead of H or Charlie Gardiner.

One thing about Bomber is that he is loyal (maybe a bit too loyal) to his players, and those that go will have to be a long way off the mark (eg Kingsley) or outright duds (eg Spriggs). Unless, of course, the Graham clause kicks in and we have an unexpected gap in the team which we need to fill via a trade.

I'd keep Byrnes, surely there is some way to teach him to for God's sake SLOW DOWN WHEN YOU KICK.

Can we afford to keep mediocrity on the list at the expense of kids who at best will be good players and at worst could stand in next year as backup options at probably the same level as those listed above?

Reg, your argument is well put and I cant fault your logic.

Thats a big statement your making above, and could be a risk.......we could argue all day about the merits of these players but the choice comes down to kids vs seasoned battlers. Who do we need more? Risk vs Reward vs The Window?

Hey, I'd rather be questioning who to delist than who to keep like they are at the Tiges!

Depending on contracts etc

W could look at the followng delisting/trades

Gardiner: anything
Playfair: same as Gardiner
S Hunt: or Spencer need to keep one
Byrnes: 3rd round
Reynolds bad luck doing his knee maybe to old to rookie again
Enright: trade it is hard but sometimes you need to give up something to get something better. His kicking skills let him down
King: Retire
Longers: Retire if he cannot get back into AFL condition, keep at VFL team

As far as probable delisting options go, Gardiner, Spencer, Reynolds, Playfair, Lonergan, and King are amongst those out of contract at seasons end.

As far as probable delisting options go, Gardiner, Spencer, Reynolds, Playfair, Lonergan, and King are amongst those out of contract at seasons end.
Sam Hunt is not an A level player and Matthew Spencer is downright lazy - wouldn't keep either.
I'd be reluctant to let Enright go but he might be just what another club is looking for.
Teach Byrnes to kick straight, someone, please; he gets a lot of the ball but .....and Callan is worth keeping.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back