Possible Zone selections NSW/ACT & NT 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

The Northern Territory were gallant in defeat, in particular Jake Neade (23 touches) and Jed Anderson (17 and six tackles).

Livewire Thunder forward Anthony Tipungwuti also proved a handful for the opposition with 17 touches and two goals, to go along with seven tackles.

However, despite the Thunder's strong endeavour, they gave the South Australians too much of a head start early in the game and failed to bridge the gap in the last quarter.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/138240/default.aspx

Here is a write up on the NT vs SA game by bigfooty user 'Thunderstruck'

Ok here is a report on the SA v NT game that I attended today. Conditions were fine and sunny, although the ground must have been quite moist given the fact that almost every single player slipped over at some stage, some much more than others.

SA started on fire with Toumpas getting 4 touches and a goal inside the first minute starting on a wing. Grundy controlled the ruck and Menzel kicked truly up forwards. NT did take a while to settle and find their feet and SA got out to a 5 goal lead early on.

The second term was again mostly SA controlling the play, Grundy immense in ruck and Kennedy, Stark, Aish prominent in the midfield. Toumpas spent the entire quarter on the bench so not sure what was wrong, he seemed fine anyways and did end up playing a little of the 3rd. Menzel continued to do as he pleased up forward, out positioning and out playing his opponents. He also started on a wing in this quarter.

The 3rd term saw NT lift their workrate and they hassled the living hell out of SA which seemed to force the home side into a comedy of errors. They had much less time to dispose of the ball and insisted on handballing out of trouble but NT had more numbers around the footy and when the ball hit the deck they cut SA up on the rebound only to be let down on their I50 entries. Colquhoun for SA was sensational in this term, continuously intercepting NT forward entries and rebounding, often with precise kicks. He was the general across half-back. Aish and Kennedy also were prominent. Luccon and Wallis did well this term also with some strong marking and intercepts. Grundy once again dominated the hitouts but NT read them better with most going down their throats.

The last term I thought SA would react to their lacklustre third term but it was not to be. NT cut them up once again with excellent clearance work and speedy linkplay through the middle. Tipugwuti was dangerous with his smarts and rang rings around his opponents with classy disposal and good decision making. Barry and Anderson were slippery and silky smooth with some strong marking from Anderson also but his kicking let him down at times. Willy Rioli and Neade also were very good this last term and McEwin was very strong in the clearances. SA continued to lack the zest to fight back and let NT bang on 4 goals before they responded late but full credit to NT for fighting it out. They were the better side after half time that is for sure.

NORTHERN TERRITORY

#1 Braendon Mclean - Neat player, ran hard all day and has good skills. Can hold his head high.

#4 Sam Autio - Belted by Grundy in the ruck but he is undersized. Good effort though and has skills and would make a dangerous forward if played there more often.

#5 Jed Anderson - Quality footballer. Arguably the most talented footballer on the ground. Took some strong marks, very agile and smooth and composed and has brilliant skills. Did fluff a shot at goal tho, falling quite short but otherwise was solid but could not ever stamp himself on the game. Against a weaker opponent I feel he would have.

#6 Dominic Barry - Like this bloke, he is a similar sort to Anderson, lean and skilled with some good pace. Cut SA up through the middle at times and was hard to stop and showed good defensive skills. One to watch.

#7 Jack McEwin - One of the better NT players. Was always sweeping the ball away from SA players, quick and nimble and good skills.

#9 Jarrod Stokes - Started well but faded. Not enough impact for a talent like him but you can see he has got it to be a good AFL player. Lazy perhaps? unsure but is a jet and very skilled.

#14 Anthony Tipungwuti - You've gotta love this bloke, he is a genuine skilled footballer. Never even looks like he is trying but has lovely footskills. Ran rings around his opponents, leaving them flat footed and slotted some goals. Also tackled like a demon when not in possession and harassed like mad. Best for NT.

#20 Troy Lawton - Came into the game in the second half where NT were dominant. Liked his skills and run off half-back and set up numerous attacks.

#21 Jake Neade - Really solid game, was running all over the ground leading his opponents to the footy, certainly seems to have a big engine. Tackled well and set up many attacks. One of the best for NT.

#34 Willy Rioli - Classy player, showed the ball a few times and got away with it. Looked dangerous around goals and ran up the ground a few times also. Good game.

"#5 Jed Anderson - Quality footballer. Arguably the most talented footballer on the ground. Took some strong marks, very agile and smooth and composed and has brilliant skills. Did fluff a shot at goal tho, falling quite short but otherwise was solid but could not ever stamp himself on the game. Against a weaker opponent I feel he would have."

The last sentence is a worry for me - at AFL level, most players are never going to be on weaker opponents. Especially with a team like the Giants, we need players who will fight hard when overmatched, rather than dominate against worse opponents.

Will be interesting to see if Jack and Wharton return to the side against N.T. as it appears the shellacking they got by W.A. might just warrant another look at their talent.

get there early tomorrow to see some of the thunder players & top up players for the giants all try to get zone selection in this years draft, should be good.

get there early tomorrow to see some of the thunder players & top up players for the giants all try to get zone selection in this years draft, should be good.
Wharton has been selected in UWS Giants Team for this Game. I think this might be a good opportunity for him to play with and against good quality players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This would have to be a bit of a red flag, wouldn't it?
under a scholarship agreement fremantle always had first chance at him. bloody bad news though ,best player out nsw for a lot of years. only clubs happy about this will be freo & swans as he was out of there zone & they missed him.

There is still the possibility that he will be traded to us along with the dockers 1st rd pick so they can get a pick in our mini draft.

maybe but i think freo will want to keep him. don't forget alot the scholarship boys signed before the mighty giants were up & going.

I'm sort of struggling to udnerstand how all this works. This kid can be signed by Freo, but he can also end up with the giants? I don't understand. Can anyone out there shed some light on what's going on here for this very humble and ignorant Canberran??

I'm sort of struggling to udnerstand how all this works. This kid can be signed by Freo, but he can also end up with the giants? I don't understand. Can anyone out there shed some light on what's going on here for this very humble and ignorant Canberran??
I think the situation is now that Freo have signed him, however they could try and dangle him to the Giants for a mini-draft pick (for example). Whereas before signing with Freo, he might've had a choice between going to the Dockers (scholarship/rookie signing) or Giants (zone selection).

I think the situation is now that Freo have signed him, however they could try and dangle him to the Giants for a mini-draft pick (for example). Whereas before signing with Freo, he might've had a choice between going to the Dockers (scholarship/rookie signing) or Giants (zone selection).

do you mean dangle him to the Giants as a 17 year old mini-draft pick? and then trade him back to Freo?

As a NSW scholarship signing (old scheme) - how does that fit in to it all?>

do you mean dangle him to the Giants as a 17 year old mini-draft pick? and then trade him back to Freo?

As a NSW scholarship signing (old scheme) - how does that fit in to it all?>
It looks as if Freo could try and use him to secure one of the mini-draft picks from GWS. Hence Moller could end up with GWS, and Freo with a mini-draft pick. Who knows though whether Freo will make that offer or GWS would take it (depending on what other offers are made).

His rookie signing with Freo came as a result of being on a NSW scholarship with them (happy to be corrected?)

when you sign a scholarship contract ( done by the afl before acamemies started,to try & attract boys to afl ), the club you signed with had first rights to you. Fremantle have got there investment. Same as Witts ,Young, Hartley to Collingwood last year & Taylor Walker to Adelaide previously. If the Giants wish for him to be on there list they must trade, nothing has really changed. Not unlike father son rule but the club that invested in the scholarship can use there last pick.

when you sign a scholarship contract ( done by the afl before acamemies started,to try & attract boys to afl ), the club you signed with had first rights to you. Fremantle have got there investment. Same as Witts ,Young, Hartley to Collingwood last year & Taylor Walker to Adelaide previously. If the Giants wish for him to be on there list they must trade, nothing has really changed. Not unlike father son rule but the club that invested in the scholarship can use there last pick.
This is correct, he has been a scholarship holder with Freo since he was 14 which gave freo 1st shot if he was good enough to be drafted. It sounds like there'll be more to this story, stay tuned!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back