News Poster's Favorite Movies - Latest Movie Seen

Remove this Banner Ad

He was also pretty much the only watchable part of The Neon Demon. What a turd that movie was. I became a Nicolas Winding Refn fan when I saw Drive, but after he followed that up with Only God Forgives and The Neon Demon, I've chucked him in the bin. Never again.

I watched Only God Forgives and i thought, there's a good movie in there somewhere, but WTF was going on?

later i read

an interview where the main bad guy was told before filming his first scene that he was God... and then the whole thing made sense.

Haven't got around to The Neon Demon yet. Finally saw Collateral on the weekend. Michael Mann-ish of course, not his best, but was pretty good.

It might have hurt home sales but the box office has been unaffected by streaming
the ticket stubs might be stacking up, but 6 of the top 10 grossing movies last year were superhero movies and that's a house of cards.

I love movies with a twist or just psychological thrillers.

Movies like shutter island, primal fear and the machinist sorta thing.

Anyone got any good ones worth a watch (and please dont give away the twist if there is one)
The only problem with Shutter Island is they telegraphed the twist within the first 5 minutes .

I watched Only God Forgives and i thought, there's a good movie in there somewhere, but WTF was going on?

later i read

an interview where the main bad guy was told before filming his first scene that he was God... and then the whole thing made sense.

Haven't got around to The Neon Demon yet. Finally saw Collateral on the weekend. Michael Mann-ish of course, not his best, but was pretty good.
Neon Demon was pretty bad. Drive and Bronson are the only Nicolas Winding Refn movies I've really liked. Pusher and OGF were OK.

Mainly due to lack of new imagination/content.
Along with the utter success of super hero movies.
in the studio boardroom perhaps... but this is completely untrue outside of that. There are just as many talented creatives out there as there has always been, but they're all falling into the TV/streaming arena because its the only place the people with the money are still prepared to take a risk anymore (plus its a smaller risk being a lot cheaper in the first place).

and the problem with that is that as good as an episodic show can be, they are never going to be an adequate replacement for great movies. Shows are good for really spending time with characters and hitting the "just one more" binge-feeder button - but a great movie stands as a monument in time, a statement of the filmmaker, a self-contained idea. The same way that listening to a great album is completely different to hearing singles on the radio.

later i read

The problem I have with Michael Mann is that he made Heat, which ranks very highly in my list of all-time favourite movies. I don't actually have a single favourite movie because there is a small, select handful that I just can't split, and Heat sits on that pedestal.

So the problem is that no matter what else he may have done in the rest of his career, no matter how much I might enjoy those other movies, I'm always going to come away from them with a slight tinge of disappointment because it'll always be "not as good as Heat".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

in the studio boardroom perhaps... but this is completely untrue outside of that. There are just as many talented creatives out there as there has always been, but they're all falling into the TV/streaming arena because its the only place the people with the money are still prepared to take a risk anymore (plus its a smaller risk being a lot cheaper in the first place).

and the problem with that is that as good as an episodic show can be, they are never going to be an adequate replacement for great movies. Shows are good for really spending time with characters and hitting the "just one more" binge-feeder button - but a great movie stands as a monument in time, a statement of the filmmaker, a self-contained idea. The same way that listening to a great album is completely different to hearing singles on the radio.

There are as many ideas people.
Just not as many unique ideas.
Hard to do a movie where people dont go "oh so its just a new version of xyz"

The indie movie scene is still thriving and there are plenty of successful "creative" films released every year, despite streaming.

the ticket stubs might be stacking up, but 6 of the top 10 grossing movies last year were superhero movies and that's a house of cards.

In fact if you look back at 2005, before streaming, the top grossing films were:

Harry Potter
Star Wars
Narnia
War of the Worlds
King Kong
Madagascar
Mr & Mrs Smith
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Batman Begins
Hitch

Is that really all that different to today? That list has two of the largest film franchises ever, four other films based on hugely popular books/characters, a superhero film and an animated film.

In 2002 we had:

Lord of the Rings
Harry Potter
Spider-Man
Star Wars
Men in Black
James Bond
Signs
Ice Age
My Big Fat Greek Wedding
Minority Report

Again looks very similar to me.

I think it's more popular movie tastes dictating what is made rather than creative films instead being made as streaming TV shows. Sure, there are lots of excellent, unique shows being bankrolled by Netflix and others that would never have been made in the mid-2000s, but what's popular at the box office hasn't changed and there is still plenty of room for great movies.

So I don't see any reason to think why streaming services have led to a decline in the quality of films being made, or box office ticket sales

no it hasn't.

I haven't pirated a thing since I got Netflix (and then later added Stan on top of that, too). I don't even have time to watch everything I want on those services, so no point going to the inconvenience of illegally downloading even more stuff. I even stopped pirating Game of Thrones once I could just sign up to the Foxtel streaming service (even though it's kind of crap compared to Netflix) for a month or two while it was on then cancel the subscription.

I never actually paid for any pirated stuff though (seems to defeat the purpose of piracy), so I wouldn't say it "hurt" the pirates when I stopped downloading their torrents since they lost exactly $0 revenue.

I didnt see it the first time I watched the movie until nearing the end.
What made you figure it out?
DiCaprio's character says something about this place looking familiar to him or something like that when they're taking the ferry ride over. Didn't ruin my enjoyment of the movie, just made it a bit more obvious to me.

There are as many ideas people.
Just not as many unique ideas.
Hard to do a movie where people dont go "oh so its just a new version of xyz"
that's just because those people don't realise that the same stories have been rehashed for millennia

The indie movie scene is still thriving and there are plenty of successful "creative" films released every year, despite streaming.

In fact if you look back at 2005, before streaming, the top grossing films were:

Harry Potter
Star Wars
Narnia
War of the Worlds
King Kong
Madagascar
Mr & Mrs Smith
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Batman Begins
Hitch

Is that really all that different to today? That list has two of the largest film franchises ever, four other films based on hugely popular books/characters, a superhero film and an animated film.

In 2002 we had:

Lord of the Rings
Harry Potter
Spider-Man
Star Wars
Men in Black
James Bond
Signs
Ice Age
My Big Fat Greek Wedding
Minority Report

Again looks very similar to me.

I think it's more popular movie tastes dictating what is made rather than creative films instead being made as streaming TV shows. Sure, there are lots of excellent, unique shows being bankrolled by Netflix and others that would never have been made in the mid-2000s, but what's popular at the box office hasn't changed and there is still plenty of room for great movies.

So I don't see any reason to think why streaming services have led to a decline in the quality of films being made, or box office ticket sales
the indie movie scene never thrives, it's a constant battle to keep your head above water almost by definition.

while the quality is similar, there's far more variety in those top 10's than there is in last year's and that's the point. We're in a superhero bubble of sorts, and the reason those movies are popular is because they offer experiences that Netflix can't give you at home.

i.e. people are only going to the cinema for things they can't get on Netflix (a screen the size of their house, surround sound as loud as a jet taking off and popcorn and choctops for the kids) and in turn that's where the studios are pouring their money.

which has always been the case to a certain extent of course, but Spielberg's work through the 80's and 90's beats the derivative superhero movies of today to hell and back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back