Status
Not open for further replies.

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
With the recent rise of tomfoolery on this board, it's only apt that I create this thread which outlines the way to behave and post on the Footy Jumpers and Graphic Design forum. It's a shame as I thought it'd never come to this – it's always been such a tame place! – but rules must be put into practice so if ever someone gets themselves into trouble or has a question, I can direct them here.

Thread prefixes
We bargained hard for them years ago, we got them, so use them. They're a great way of keeping the place organised. More on the prefixes and how to apply them in an upcoming post.

Thread titles
Be descriptive if possible. This is particularly pertinent to 'news' threads. Most people are pretty good at this, so not a lot of worries on this front.

Is this thread-worthy?
Ask this question to yourself every time you hit that green "Post New Thread" button. If you even have to consider it, it's probably not thread-worthy. There are a lot of great mega-threads on the board that will house small requests that aren't worthy of an individual thread. Looking to sell an item, buy an item or perhaps organise a swap with another member? Here's your place. Been trawling eBay and found an interesting item? Share it with the board here – remember, no live auctions. There are many other mega-threads that you probably already know about. News items; I'm happy for them to be in individual threads as they're of current interest and will be seen by more members of the board.

Competitions
Don't post a comp thread out of the blue or start up a competition just because you feel like it. Float your idea in our stickied competition discussion thread and gauge a general reaction to your idea. We're probably running with 10 likes to a posted idea = a potential competition for the future. If your idea isn't well-received, don't sulk. P.S – you don't have to have a comp to design a jumper. Collaborative workshops or portfolios are great ways to keep designing without it being in a competitive nature.

Vote brigading
There have now been a couple of instances where posters have gone to other boards on BF and have linked a competition thread specifically asking for people to vote for their design. Promotion of the competition on other boards is fine, directing people to vote for your design only is frowned upon (I would say 'illegal' but that is up to each competition runner). Please don't do it. It just creates animosity

Portfolios
Some of the best work seen on this board has come from a simple portfolio – Mowscot Manor, anyone? – and it's what keeps the place thriving with fresh ideas. If you have a specific collection that you'd like to show off, create a thread with the 'Portfolio' prefix. Note that it must be a set of guernseys or logos; random individual jumpers can just be posted in the catch-all "Create an AFL Guernsey" thread. If you have a set of jumpers related to the upcoming 2018 AFL season (i.e. your ideas), they must be posted in this specific thread created for that purpose.

Templates
They're all here. New templates are added to the thread as they are posted by our loyal and creative members. Don't ask "How do I make a jumper" in random threads.

Terminology
The various nicknames and words associated with footy jumpers (such as design elements) which are used around the board can be found in this extensive guide to footy jumpers. (Thanks rabbitoh21)

One-word posts
These are generally pretty pointless and usually giving the quoted post a 'like' has the same effect. Try to restrict short posts and generally be thoughtful and insightful when posting, it rubs off on everyone.

Off-topic posts
Previously this board has had the tendency to drift way off topic in various threads. Over the last few months this has improved although I still have to clean stuff up from time to time. Please try to stay on topic and don't be surprised if you are infracted if you deviate on a regular basis.

Signatures
I have them turned off by default, but people have recently been inserting "custom" signatures into their actual posts themselves. These are generally a variation of the (unfortunately unhideable) "Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk", and range from mildly amusing to downright stupid. In short – I don't want them.

White text
This has come up a bit of late, in another attempt at humour or hiding information. A lot of people don't see it initially and it's a pain to notice it appear after you've quoted the post – I'd much prefer if no one uses white text at all. If it's important enough for you to type it, it's important enough for everyone to see it.

Swear filter
I've seen a few people try to get around it. Don't bother. It picks up pretty much any bad word and then some. "s**t" is fine. Anything worse that you can think of, well it'll be starred out. Circumventing the swear filter comes with an initial warning and then yellow cards from then on.

Streams
Don't discuss them or post links as it's against site-wide regulations. I would have only seen this once or twice on the board, so no real issues here.

Torrents and piracy
Any discussion or promotion of piracy – specifically means of downloading programs like Photoshop and Illustrator illegally for free – will be dealt with through infractions. Not only is it against site rules to discuss illegal activity, you also look like a bit of a tool for boasting about it.

eBay and other auctions
Whenever posting a link to an eBay auction or an auction on another site, please wait until the auction has finished to share your link. This assures fairness across the board as people who may have discovered a bargain can keep that to themselves until the auction ends. An exemption to the live auction rule applies when posters are uncovering counterfeit items and post them in the Fake Footy Jumpers thread.

Attacking posters
Any direct attacking of another poster for their gender, race, background or otherwise is a serious violation of BigFooty's rules and will be dealt with. Again, the board as a whole has been generally good with this although I've had to remonstrate with a couple of bad eggs lately. Please try to limit denigrating posters based on the team they support, too.

Trolling
There is no place for it on this board or anywhere on BF quite frankly. Please report troll posts/users if you see them. I'll take no hesitation in handing out red cards at my will as there is nothing constructive about a troll.

Aliases
Aliases are technically allowed, however if they are used for anything but constructive posting, then they will be banned and have their posts removed immediately.

Reporting posts
The report button is there for a reason. As soon as someone hits the report button, I get a shiny red notification which links me to the post and a comment saying why the post is reported. It's the easiest and quickest way for a mod to take action against a rogue post or user. Remember to use the button but don't abuse it.

Board moderators
Gibbsy, Red Crow and Freight Train. Contact any or all of us via PM if you have any pressing issues, problems or simply suggestions for the board. Be aware that supermods and admins can and will moderate the board at times when all three of us are not around (which is rarely).

Last edited by a moderator:

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
Guide to thread prefixes (thanks to GG)

Competition:
Only for ongoing featured TWP comps and any in-house comps that involve a submissions and an in-house poll process.
eg: LogoOTW; Warm-Up Top Wednesday; Clash of the Jumpers.

Discussion:
For all general chat, debate, questions, miscellaneous design topics, or discussions about comp/resource threads.
eg: Random Chat MegaThread, What Footy Jumpers Do You Own?; Footy Jumpers Buy Swap Sell; eBay Auctions thread

News:
For when real-life sports/teams release any news regarding official guernseys, logos, or rumored news links regarding these.
eg: Fremantle unveils new look; Collingwood rumored to part with adidas; KFC Big Bash uniforms.

Portfolio:
For displaying a collection of your work. No collaboration of designs. Links to your website/image hosting gallery allowed.
eg: Mowscot Manor; Your fantasy leagues concepts.

Resource:
Only for threads serving solely as a database of templates, official logos, guernseys.
eg: Universal template thread; Mero's footyjumpers.com; Historical database of sponsor logos.

Tutorial:
Only for any 'how to' instructional guide.
eg: Photoshop tutorial; How to use MS Paint.

Workshop:
For all other collaborative design efforts, and for one-off requests for hypothetical or real-life sporting teams.
eg: Create an AFL guernsey; Signature designs, The Country/Local Footy Jumpers Project.

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
Last edited by a moderator:

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
Distinction between competitions and workshops (thanks to Essee Cross)

Competitions should be competitive, with people making the best design they can and there's a poll at the end to determine the winner.
Workshops should not be competitive, people should be helping each other out, giving feedback, discussing ideas, and whatever. There's no poll at the end and everyone who participated is a winner.

So I think we should introduce some mandatory competition etiquette:
1) Don't vote for yourself. It shouldn't need to be said.
2) No spamming competition threads. Replies in competition threads should be entires and/or queries to the competition runner. If the competition runner allows it, replies may also offer constructive feedback. Quoting posts with "I like it, that's really good." is pointless - use the like button. Quoting posts with "that's s**t" is abusive and doesn't help at all. Pointing out specifically what's good and what's not so good is the key, here - although, personally, I think this sort of feedback stuff should be left to workshops.
3) Using already posted design entries in a competition as inspiration is fine, but blatantly copying is basically stealing. While this has never really been a problem, it may as well be a rule.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/ifj-russia.1036743/page-2
Prime example of what should be in the RCT and not in a competition thread.

Basically what I'm getting at: Competitions should be competitive. Competitions should be held in high regard and taken seriously. Going against the three guidelines above basically devalues a given competition, IMO.

Now, onto workshops. Workshops aren't competitive, ergo, we don't really need rules, except for maybe to keep on topic. It's okay in a workshop to rip off someone else's design and tweak it here and there (as long as you cite them as your source ;)). As said above, quoting posts with "I like it, that's really good." is pointless - use the like button. Quoting posts with "that's s**t" is abusive and doesn't help at all. Pointing out specifically what's good and what's not so good is the key and is an integral part of workshops.

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
Added policy on signatures:

Signatures
I have them turned off by default, but people have recently been inserting "custom" signatures into their actual posts themselves. These are generally a variation of the (unfortunately unhideable) "Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk), and range from mildly amusing to downright stupid. In short – I don't want them.

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
I shouldn't have to be doing this, but I am. New section.

White text
This has come up a bit of late, in another attempt at humour or hiding information. A lot of people don't see it initially and it's a pain to notice it appear after you've quoted the post – I'd much prefer if no one uses white text at all. If it's important enough for you to type it, it's important enough for everyone to see it.

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
Again with off-topic crap. It's reared its ugly head again recently, seeing brainless posts in threads that aren't the RCT.

Pretty much anything goes in the RCT (within reason) but in other threads I am taking a pretty hard stance now. Bad posting reflects poorly on the board for those outside visitors who lurk here but don't post, and enjoy reading our (quality) content.

Don't forget that the report button is there for a reason. Cheers.

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
There's been a lot of pretty low-quality posting lately. Stuff like replying with hashtags, gifs, one-word responses – it's not on. This board used to be (and should remain to be) a bastion of intellect and quality posting/designs.

Let's not stink it up, please. Or else the posters who make this place may eventually leave.

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
There's been a lot of pretty low-quality posting lately. Stuff like replying with hashtags, gifs, one-word responses – it's not on. This board used to be (and should remain to be) a bastion of intellect and quality posting/designs.

Let's not stink it up, please. Or else the posters who make this place may eventually leave.

I've just deleted about 25 posts from the finals discussion thread – all absolute crap which just clogs the board. The "Thanks Dylan" thing was funny twice and then never again.

More gif responses and one-word posts too, people getting all worked up about what's a prediction and what's official – don't take it so seriously! I originally came up with the tipping idea as a bit of fun to reinvigorate the board, this year it's gotten to the point where people have become stubborn and weird about who says what. This is the internet! Not a MENSA convention.

Please, please, have a think before you post. Type out your post if you wish, but before you hit send, think to yourself – is this necessary? If there's even a little bit of doubt then it probably isn't necessary. There are still plenty of posts still that can be easily substituted with a 'like'.

If you want to talk crap, post memes/gifs/whatever then take it to the RCT. I barely mod that at all, you can pretty much do what you like there.

Festival of the cards
In conjunction with TheDoctor11 who definitely agrees with me, if there is any continuation of 'off-topic' posting on other threads then there will eventually be cards coming out. You'll get a warning first, but any further instances will be dealt with via infractions. If that's what it takes to raise the standard of good quality posting here then that's what'll happen.

Cheers.

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
New mod

As mentioned in the thread I created a couple of days ago, Dylan8 is a new addition to the FGD moderator team. Despite him 'only' being a spec mod, he's still to be treated with the same respect and authority as any of the other full mods on this board. I'm sure you'll all make him welcome. Cheers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
Embedded image signatures

They suck! Nobody cares about your team in the next big league competition. Well, maybe they do – but not enough to see it every single time you post. This has happened on two separate occasions over the last two months and it's totally infuriating. I've had negative user feedback on it too. There's a reason I have sigs turned off and it's so you can include whatever you want to promote, while leaving others the privilege of whether they want to view it or not.

Any further instances will receive a minor infraction; cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back