Power without Glory

Remove this Banner Ad

Anybody read the book ‘Power without Glory’ by Frank Hardy?

Or watched the 1976 mini series of the same name? (available on iTunes for around $20 for all episodes)

It’s all (allegedly) based on the life and times of proud Collingwood (Carringbush in the story) patron John Wren (John West in the story) from late 1800’s to mid 1900’s. It’s an interesting insight into life of the times. It’s much more of a political treatise than anything to do with the footy, but I’m finding it quite entertaining. Some aspects of the book do get quite far fetched and challenge credibility (Eg: The Pope taking an interest in the affairs of John Wren) but they just come across as quaint.

There are some artifacts around Melbourne from the time that still exist today. The residence of Archbishop Daniel Mannix (friend and neighbor of John Wren also proud Collingwood supporter) is the mansion ‘Raheen’ - today the home of Jenny Pratt. John Wren’s mansion home is now part of Xavier College, Barker College Campus. Caulfield racecourse - once owned by Wren - remains part of the life of Melbourne (Did you know that there were once racecourses in Richmond and Northcote?)

Or watched the 1976 mini series of the same name? (available on iTunes for around $20 for all episodes)

It’s all (allegedly) based on the life and times of proud Collingwood (Carringbush in the story) patron John Wren (John West in the story) from late 1800’s to mid 1900’s. It’s an interesting insight into life of the times. It’s much more of a political treatise than anything to do with the footy, but I’m finding it quite entertaining. Some aspects of the book do get quite far fetched and challenge credibility (Eg: The Pope taking an interest in the affairs of John Wren) but they just come across as quaint.

There are some artifacts around Melbourne from the time that still exist today. The residence of Archbishop Daniel Mannix (friend and neighbor of John Wren also proud Collingwood supporter) is the mansion ‘Raheen’ - today the home of Jenny Pratt. John Wren’s mansion home is now part of Xavier College, Barker College Campus. Caulfield racecourse - once owned by Wren - remains part of the life of Melbourne (Did you know that there were once racecourses in Richmond and Northcote?)

Touched one of my fave topics 76.

Read the book several times, as I love anything about old Melbourne - especially related to Collingwood.

Author Frank Hardy was a militant leftie, with no love for the Wren family. They still own Festival Hall.

Marieke Hardy is Frank’s niece or grand niece.

Re the old racecourse in Richmond, it was redeveloped for housing in the interwar period, between Bridge Rd and Swan St.

Daniel Mannix (‘Old Dan’) was a towering figure in the Irish Catholic community in the first half of the 20th century.

I could go on - but I love the book - it’s a rich account of a tumultuous time.

I see my details have been deleted.

Must have been part of an upgrade.

Re Hardy, 76, the history of Oz, except for the free settler state of SA [which was largely German-speaking, before the formation of Germany - and which is why I speak German as part of my heritage on the Oz side) - was English Protestant v Irish RC.

And the Oz Wild West equivalent was on that religious divide. Irish RC bushrangers v Prot landed gentry.
I, as a WASP private school boy in the 50's/60's, never knowingly socially met an RC until university. I never knew I was right wing until that social intercourse.

That sectarian divide was unlike the US wild west. Now airbrushed from our history.

Collingwood and Richmond are/were Irish/RC. Their mindset - a'gin the govt. Still antidisastablishmentarialist. But historically, can you blame them?

Which is funny when you realize they won. The WASPs lost.

And this social and political victory has yet to be reflected in Collingwood winning Flags commensurate with the current zeitgeist.

Roll on 2019.

Last edited:
Touched one of my fave topics 76.

Read the book several times, as I love anything about old Melbourne - especially related to Collingwood.

Author Frank Hardy was a militant leftie, with no love for the Wren family. They still own Festival Hall.

Marieke Hardy is Frank’s niece or grand niece.

Re the old racecourse in Richmond, it was redeveloped for housing in the interwar period, between Bridge Rd and Swan St.

Daniel Mannix (‘Old Dan’) was a towering figure in the Irish Catholic community in the first half of the 20th century.

I could go on - but I love the book - it’s a rich account of a tumultuous time.
Mary Hardy was his sister.
They were two of eight siblings.

For those that don’t know of Mary Hardy she did shows like Penthouse.
Was like an earlier version of Ding Dong, Denise Drysdale, TV shows wise, but far more caustic not friendly like Drysdale.

At the end, Mary killed herself. Even back in the day, mental demons was very crippling.
Thankfully we talk about it more these days.

Marieke is grand niece of the siblings. She’s not the nicest person ever.

Mary Hardy was his sister.
They were two of eight siblings.

For those that don’t know of Mary Hardy she did shows like Penthouse.
Was like an earlier version of Ding Dong, Denise Drysdale, TV shows wise, but far more caustic not friendly like Drysdale.

At the end, Mary killed herself. Even back in the day, mental demons was very crippling.
Thankfully we talk about it more these days.

Marieke is grand niece of the siblings. She’s not the nicest person ever.
Do you remember Saturday night Penthouse?
Was a great variety show.
Comedy, music, interviews and interspersed with the trots!
Such a great show in an innocent era.
Mary always wore a scarf around her neck to cover the scar from when she cut her own throat.
Had a lot of demons that finally overcame her.

Do you remember Saturday night Penthouse?
Was a great variety show.
Comedy, music, interviews and interspersed with the trots!
Such a great show in an innocent era.
Mary always wore a scarf around her neck to cover the scar from when she cut her own throat.
Yes she did.

I was very young but remember it well.
They had the tattslotto numbers in that big barrel thing they used then.
The trots were on.
And Bill Collins i Remember could do it all.

I think Mary was a very sad lady when the cameras were off. I’m not sure she ever found happiness.

Yes she did.

I was very young but remember it well.
They had the tattslotto numbers in that big barrel thing they used then.
The trots were on.
And Bill Collins i Remember could do it all.

I think Mary was a very sad lady when the cameras were off. I’m not sure she ever found happiness.
You are right.
I forgot the lotto numbers! In the days when there was only the Saturday night draw.
Collins was a man of all trades. And yes, Mary must have fought so many demons off camera. Amazing that she could be so “on” for those few hours that you felt she was a close family member, that you loved for her humanity, humour and performance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back