Training 2019 Preseason

Remove this Banner Ad

i remember years ago when Robert Harvey won our time trial the grumbles were about how bad it was our oldest player was still winning our time trials... a few years later when Geary took it out there were grumbles that how sad it was a rookie was winning our time trials ... to some people what ever we do isnt good enough

No it isnt good enough.

He has been with the pies and I dont ever remember him being top 5 in their time trials. So to actually win our one speaks volumes about our methods. Every year we keep hearing how they need to build up their tanks etc but every year it's the same old issues.

Please dont compare Harvey or even mention him in the same breath as Geary. One is an all time great and the other well I'll let people form their own opinions.

No it isnt good enough.

He has been with the pies and I dont ever remember him being top 5 in their time trials. So to actually win our one speaks volumes about our methods. Every year we keep hearing how they need to build up their tanks etc but every year it's the same old issues.

Please dont compare Harvey or even mention him in the same breath as Geary. One is an all time great and the other well I'll let people form their own opinions.
1. He didnt participate in any of the pies time trials because he wasnt on their list. He may have won their trials but we will never know.

2. It isn't a comparison of Harvey and Geary nor is it insulting towards anyone. It is fact. Harvey dominated time trials despite his age and Geary has dominating time trials since he arrived at the club as a rookie. How can you be insulted by that?

Please enlighten the masses and I’ll tell you if you’re right or wrong.
I dont know large details about his playing history. But I do know that he isnt perfect as a player and we dont need to pretend that he doesn't have things he needs to work on to become a better player. No need to get on your high horse about it.

1. He didnt participate in any of the pies time trials because he wasnt on their list. He may have won their trials but we will never know.

2. It isn't a comparison of Harvey and Geary nor is it insulting towards anyone. It is fact. Harvey dominated time trials despite his age and Geary has dominating time trials since he arrived at the club as a rookie. How can you be insulted by that?

It's a stretch thinking he would win the pies time trial. It's pretty evident watching our games that we lack the endurance to run and spread from contest to contest.

Harvey was a freak of nature when it came to running. He was dominating time trials with the likes of Riewoldt etc. When you think of endurance athletes and freak Harvey's and Roos names would be mentioned. I dont think Geary would come up in any of the conversations but proved my point that we are not a very good aerobic team.

I dont know large details about his playing history. But I do know that he isnt perfect as a player and we dont need to pretend that he doesn't have things he needs to work on to become a better player. No need to get on your high horse about it.
I’m not on my high horse, it’s a forum full of nameless people, of which you are one?

It's a stretch thinking he would win the pies time trial. It's pretty evident watching our games that we lack the endurance to run and spread from contest to contest.

Harvey was a freak of nature when it came to running. He was dominating time trials with the likes of Riewoldt etc. When you think of endurance athletes and freak Harvey's and Roos names would be mentioned. I dont think Geary would come up in any of the conversations but proved my point that we are not a very good aerobic team.
You have no idea where he would place in a time trial against the Pies, especially against their 1st to 4th year players which is who he ran against today. Have you seen him run or are you just assuming because we must suck at everything? Sinclair's running stats throughout matches are extremely good and rank well against a lot of the best runners in the comp. It is known that Jok is extremely athletic and has excellence endurance and he showcased that today. It shows he has the aerobic ability to play in the midfield straight away which is great for his chances at getting drafted.

Geary is a fantastic runner and would be in the top tier in the competition for his running ability. Just because you dont like Geary as a player or appreciate what he brings to the club, doesn't mean he isn't a fantastic runner as evidenced by his results throughout the years.

You have no idea where he would place in a time trial against the Pies, especially against their 1st to 4th year players which is who he ran against today. Have you seen him run or are you just assuming because we must suck at everything? Sinclair's running stats throughout matches are extremely good and rank well against a lot of the best runners in the comp. It is known that Jok is extremely athletic and has excellence endurance and he showcased that today. It shows he has the aerobic ability to play in the midfield straight away which is great for his chances at getting drafted.

Geary is a fantastic runner and would be in the top tier in the competition for his running ability. Just because you dont like Geary as a player or appreciate what he brings to the club, doesn't mean he isn't a fantastic runner as evidenced by his results throughout the years.
Sinclair is a gun runner, as are most AFL kids. Jok is an athletic freak, has massive hops, is a gun basketballer too and also took mark of the year in the VFL.

I'm not saying we suck at everything I'm.jist saying I can name 6 or 7 players that we have been trying to build a tank for and still yet to succeed. You dont need to be fast to spread from open play, just need to be extremely fit. If you watch us play closes we are not very good at that. Which is a fact. Geary is a very good runner I'm not denying that, but there would be 10 players of the top of my head who I'd say would have him beaten for endurance.

You’re right, let’s pick another bloke who can’t play and ignore one who can. The system is ****** if this kid doesnt get drafted.
You have obviously had a good look at him playing ammos and yes he definitely has the athleticism to play afl but he’s not on his own.

There’s a guy of the same age even younger playing at my local club and at Casey who smashed the NZ draft combine and he can play too. Once again there’s a reason he isn’t on a list.

Every year there are kids who slip through the draft who deserve a shot and can play at AFL level. I’m not ruling these guys out just pointing out the facts as I see them. If anybody is interested the seven app has some Collingwood games with Gok playing, it’s free take a look if you’re interested.

I look at JOK, I feel like he could do a Rowan Marshall. With processional training with professional players, anything is possible. Gotta take risks
He’s been in the system at tac cup level, school and vfl.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Photoshopped? Where did that physique suddenly come from? He's just been doing selfies with the Clintons since the season finished....

Cynic ;)

If a kid comes in and wins the 3km time trial it's hardly a bad thing. He may be an athletic gun for all we know.

Really great result for Lonie to come top 5. Think he could be in for a big year.

I was just about to say the same thing. Ah, screw it I will anyway. Surely a young bloke trialling with the Saints, who has come through the varying systems & lower levels and is athletic, fit, and keen, and showing some of the others up isn't a bad thing. There's the standard you young welps, drive towards it.

Utility at the moment. Can play anywhere needed ala Westhoff, Gilbert but much more superior in terms of athleticism and tank but needs work with general skills like kicking. Project player imo.

With respect, its too easy to call him a project player. He has played the game since he was 9, played TAC and Vic country, so he was an outstanding junior.

Ibremember watching billings in year 11 at Scotch miss set shots from the top of the goalsquare. Point being, all players have something to work on.. jok is elite in many areas and can literally play in any position... can anyone else?

With respect, its too easy to call him a project player. He has played the game since he was 9, played TAC and Vic country, so he was an outstanding junior.

Ibremember watching billings in year 11 at Scotch miss set shots from the top of the goalsquare. Point being, all players have something to work on.. jok is elite in many areas and can literally play in any position... can anyone else?
Billings is still missing from the goal square!

Photoshopped? Where did that physique suddenly come from? He's just been doing selfies with the Clintons since the season finished....
I know I'll sound crazy but for me it's as much about the face as the physique:

Jack Lonie is now a man. He looked like a happy kid before, he looks like a bloodthirsty full grown bloke now that determination no longer just pluck, but experience and ruthlessness all on display on that fizog.

Maybe I'm wrong and maybe he'll just end up a man sized gop, but I reckon he's faced the abyss, taken stock of his shortcomings and is going to leave it all on the field until he gets where he wants this team to go.

I've already got ridiculously optimistic about this season, could be a surprise package with the added growth of players, swapping Ratten for Kingsley, the better fixture, and the reality check of 2018.

I know I'll sound crazy but for me it's as much about the face as the physique:

Jack Lonie is now a man. He looked like a happy kid before, he looks like a bloodthirsty full grown bloke now that determination no longer just pluck, but experience and ruthlessness all on display on that fizog.

Maybe I'm wrong and maybe he'll just end up a man sized gop, but I reckon he's faced the abyss, taken stock of his shortcomings and is going to leave it all on the field until he gets where he wants this team to go.

I've already got ridiculously optimistic about this season, could be a surprise package with the added growth of players, swapping Ratten for Kingsley, the better fixture, and the reality check of 2018.

The preaseason hope is coming early this year. Just need Blakers and Paddy to run PB's when they get back and we can start talking finals :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back