Society/Culture Prince William

Remove this Banner Ad

A republican tilt that would return a colonial constitution with a couple of very minor changes.

A fabulous point WC.

It was not about just a republic.

Many wanted far more wide reaching changes and tried to hoodwink the population as to the extent of those changes.

Disgraceful.

Please elaborate.

All the changes were listed on a previous thread Admiral. I think it was in an article by McGarvie.

If it was simply about becoming a republic his model was/is the way forward.

You would get plenty of people who arent die hard monarchists to vote for it.

Howard stacked the deck to ensure the most watered down republican model was returned.

You mean the one closest to our existing Westminster system, that many republicans thought the people (who traditionally have been conservative referendum voters) would be more likely to accept. Clearly it was the republicans (particularly the Australian Republican Movement, (who were big supporters of the bi-partisan model) that under-estimated the demand for a direct election process.

Quite simply in the end, it was the Republican failure to present a cohesive united front to the people on an agreed Republican model that lost them the referendum.

The voting indicates was definitely the most popular model from a Convention, where the majority of delegates (including those elected by the public) were republicans. That majority includes the government appointed delegates.

Nope. Howards model was dismissed by the people and the republic is still very much on the agenda. Next time they're going to have to give us more.

You mean sneak through constitutional change that you know you will never get up unless on the back of a republic?

Silly me!!...I thought this thread was about Prince William, not about the republican debate!:rolleyes:

Would be happy to see him as the next King, rather than his ineffectual father....he is so much like his mother in nature..

He seems a very likable, down to earth young man..

...and no, I'm not all that keen on the royal family, but I do like William + Harry......I also couldn't care less about having the royal family as figureheads of our country, they don't affect me (us) at all....what I do like is the stability of the SYSTEM we have..

You mean the one closest to our existing Westminster system, that many republicans thought the people (who traditionally have been conservative referendum voters) would be more likely to accept.

IMO, this is mainly due to the electorates distrust of politicians as the majority of referendums have been about giving more power to the parliament. I believe that this scenario would be very different if the will of the people were actually represented as referendum platforms or if the people had the power to initiate referenda themselves.

Clearly it was the republicans (particularly the Australian Republican Movement, (who were big supporters of the bi-partisan model) that under-estimated the demand for a direct election process.

Quite simply in the end, it was the Republican failure to present a cohesive united front to the people on an agreed Republican model that lost them the referendum.

No doubt, due to the Howard government stacking the agenda with "conservative republicans".

The voting indicates was definitely the most popular model from a Convention, where the majority of delegates (including those elected by the public) were republicans. That majority includes the government appointed delegates.

Obviously, the whole constitutional convention was completely out of touch with the wishes of Australians.

It's about time we dispensed with the Monarchy. But Prince William seems like an OK bloke and his grandmother has been an ornament to the archaic instititution - can you imagine her life - talking to boring people all the time and opening toilet blocks in Bognor Regis.

It's about time we dispensed with the Monarchy. But Prince William seems like an OK bloke and his grandmother has been an ornament to the archaic instititution - can you imagine her life - talking to boring people all the time and opening toilet blocks in Bognor Regis.
Yeah, he seems like a pretty cool guy. I'd much rather be ruled by a guy like him than these hyperconservative ****wits like K Rudd or Howard before him.

I am a Republican. I believe the head of state should be an Australian that lives here.

A directly elected President scares the s**t out of me. Australia has a very stable form of government and a minimalist change is all that is required. Do we really want somebody as President that is arrogant enough to run for it? And do we want presidential campaign ads on TV?

The govenor generals of the past have (mostly) done good jobs and been reasonable people. Why we want massive change to a stable system is beyond me.

As for Prince William, he and Harry seem like good blokes but it does not alter the fact that we should be a republic.

I am a Republican. I believe the head of state should be an Australian that lives here.

A directly elected President scares the s**t out of me. Australia has a very stable form of government and a minimalist change is all that is required. Do we really want somebody as President that is arrogant enough to run for it? And do we want presidential campaign ads on TV?

The govenor generals of the past have (mostly) done good jobs and been reasonable people. Why we want massive change to a stable system is beyond me.

As for Prince William, he and Harry seem like good blokes but it does not alter the fact that we should be a republic.

This is the exact type of mantrap thinking I am talking about.

The whole idea is to keep people focused on a minor issue like a head of state, whilst the real issue about becoming a republic, namely a new constitution that limits the powers of the parliament and entrenches rights for citizens, is brushed under the carpet.

The broad majority cannot see the forest for the trees. They have been sucked in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His visit so far has been of stunning national significance.:thumbsu:
Dinky little speeches.
Tea parties.
The odd laying of a wreath.
The obligatory sail on the harbour.
He will pat a few bushfire victims on the head and offer condolences.
And provide reams and reams of coverage for Womens Weekly and New Idea.
But, of course, he is here to connect with Australia, to learn about the country and get a feel for the place.
Five days in NSW and Victoria will surely tell him all that he needs to know.

Jolly old Bogner Regis. I wonder if a royal ever went to Butlins. Mind you that dirty old duffer George V was reputed to have said Bugger Bognor. I reckon the locals should have declared themselves a republic and told him to "naff oorff"

This is the exact type of mantrap thinking I am talking about.

The whole idea is to keep people focused on a minor issue like a head of state, whilst the real issue about becoming a republic, namely a new constitution that limits the powers of the parliament and entrenches rights for citizens, is brushed under the carpet.

The broad majority cannot see the forest for the trees. They have been sucked in.

On the other hand, intelligent people can want a republic with an Australian head of state without wanting a wholesale upheaval of a sound and stable democracy.

I happen to think Australia has the balance just about right in it's political system and do not want major revolutionary change. Call me a minimalist republican if you want, but don,t think that I just don't understand it !

On the other hand, intelligent people can want a republic with an Australian head of state without wanting a wholesale upheaval of a sound and stable democracy.

I happen to think Australia has the balance just about right in it's political system and do not want major revolutionary change. Call me a minimalist republican if you want, but don,t think that I just don't understand it !

Good for you Jim.

History and experience have taught me to be far less trusting of politicians.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back