Discussion Prison Bars debate

Should Port be allowed to wear the PBs as their home jumper?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

We had to compromise big time to get into the AFL. That was 22 years ago though, & it's time for us to reclaim our history. The PB is the Port Adelaide jumper. Our jumper is very different to Collingwood's, and we'll happily wear a Clash jumper away against them.

Based on some posts on the Port Board it's possible we'll be wearing the PBs, the light blue hoops and maybe even a magenta next year. Who knows?

How so?
Port Adelaide Power only came in to the AFL in 1997 If I recall correctly.

No matter how much the supporters wish they were still the Magpies it will never be.
As previously stated when Port Power first came in they agreed on a few things. Blame your people then, not everyone else.
We don't care to be the magpies (a preposterous assertion), we just want to wear the true Port Adelaide jumper

We had to compromise big time to get into the AFL. That was 22 years ago though, & it's time for us to reclaim our history. The PB is the Port Adelaide jumper. Our jumper is very different to Collingwood's, and we'll happily wear a Clash jumper away against them.

Based on some posts on the Port Board it's possible we'll be wearing the PBs, the light blue hoops and maybe even a magenta next year. Who knows?
So get your club to re-negotiate with the AFL or something. Eddie can make his argument about similar branding or whatever and the AFL can say thats bollocks, but at the end of the day this all has to be initiated by Port Adelaide and it shouldn't be expected to just happen so easily.

We don't care to be the magpies (a preposterous assertion), we just want to wear the true Port Adelaide jumper

The “true” Port Adelaide Jumper?

Remind me which one that is again? Is the true jumper:

- the blue and white hoops?
- The magenta one?
- The SBS?
- The various away/clash monstrousities from 97 until the Vs?
- The black with Vs?
- the white with Vs?
- the Grey with Vs?
- the various Collingwood jumpers you wore during the 20s thru to 50s?
- the Planet Teal 2007?
- the Planet Teal 2008?

Your Prison Bar belongs in two places:

1. SANFL; and
2. a locked glass cabinet in your clubs administration foyer/museum

Get over it. Your club agreed to not wear the PB in the AFL. You traded culture, history, your nick name and your heart for the sweet dollars on offer in the AFL.

You sold your souls to the devil then piss and moan wondering why bad things happen to you

- The magenta one?
- The SBS?
- The black with Vs?
- the white with Vs?
- the Grey with Vs?
- the Planet Teal 2007?
- the Planet Teal 2008?

1. SANFL; and

Get over it. Your club agreed to not wear the PB in the AFL. You traded culture, history, your nick name and your heart for the sweet dollars on offer in the AFL.

You sold your souls to the devil then piss and moan wondering why bad things happen to you

Going by this logic the true Collingwood jumper could be the Barcode.

Put those bolt gaps inbetween all the stripes and not only would that check out but it would look pretty decent too.
In theory, yes. In actuality it would give off some Schutzstaffel vibes.

It was suggested that some of our one-off designs might very well be our true guernsey. I returned the favour. Not hard to follow.

One offs?

I would of thought the teal one with Port Adelaide in black would of been a lock.

You remember that old saying, you can’t move the goal posts when you want????

Yeah.

Don’t get them started. Otherwise we will have to ask when the 119 commemorative jumper is coming out
Not taking the bait from you again dickhead

- The magenta one?
- The SBS?
- The black with Vs?
- the white with Vs?
- the Grey with Vs?
- the Planet Teal 2007?
- the Planet Teal 2008?

1. SANFL; and

FFS.
I think Pappagallo nailed it, but I’m just going to say it again.
It’s pretty clear that the jumper we wore for, what, 80 or so years is the true Port Adelaide jumper. By this logic we might call the barcode the true Collingwood jumper, or even the night series jumper. Maybe the swooping magpie even (aka a prison bars rip off, but damn it looks good)
One offs?

I would of thought the teal one with Port Adelaide in black would of been a lock.

You remember that old saying, you can’t move the goal posts when you want????

Yeah.
Fumbler, this isn’t the SFA. You can * off with your piss takes.

Not taking the bait from you again dickhead

FFS.
I think Pappagallo nailed it, but I’m just going to say it again.
It’s pretty clear that the jumper we wore for, what, 80 or so years is the true Port Adelaide jumper. By this logic we might call the barcode the true Collingwood jumper, or even the night series jumper. Maybe the swooping magpie even (aka a prison bars rip off, but damn it looks good)

Fumbler, this isn’t the SFA. You can **** off with your piss takes.

This is an open discussion about why a club thinks it’s above everyone else in the comp.
Why would you bring up something not needed in this thread?

Some as your club, mistaken as usual.

This is an open discussion about why a club thinks it’s above everyone else in the comp.

I agree, Eddie (and the AFL) see Collingwood as above the rest of the league. While it’s obvious that Eddie should see his club as #1, the AFL and Port shouldn’t fold on the topic (something I can’t say won’t happen under the current admin)
Why bring up the SFA? Well, probably because your persona and at times provocative posting style carries over to here.
—————
In all honesty, while this thread topic should be discussed, might be worth getting a lock on the thread, because it seems we can’t have a healthy debate on this topic. As much as I’d love for everyone to be on Port’s side of the PB debate, I get that people have their own reasons to be against it and that’s fine, but when we get 1997 and 119 and tarp jokes, it’s clear that we’ve strayed from the original topic.

Damn Port acting all above everyone else wanting to decide what clothes it wears at home like every other professional sports club that has ever existed. Who do they think they are GRRRR?!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So get your club to re-negotiate with the AFL or something. Eddie can make his argument about similar branding or whatever and the AFL can say thats bollocks, but at the end of the day this all has to be initiated by Port Adelaide and it shouldn't be expected to just happen so easily.
no one ever said it was going to be easy - from our perspective it's worth the effort though, even if it takes years.

- The magenta one?
- The SBS?
- The black with Vs?
- the white with Vs?
- the Grey with Vs?
- the Planet Teal 2007?
- the Planet Teal 2008?

1. SANFL; and

I totally disagree naturally enough. The PBs are my, and many other Port supporters', main club identifier despite any other guises over the years. Every club is allowed to wear the jumper of their choice, at least in home games - every other team in the AFL that is except Port. Not only that, it seems as though we have to struggle to be allowed to wear it in our 150th year: that's absurd and patently unfair. I, and other like-minded supporters, will strive to argue for due recognition with patience, persistence and reason.

I reckon the debate should hinge on whether the Power and Magpies (of the Port variety) are the same club. In my view, if they were the same club, the Magpies would have ceased to exist as soon as the club joined the AFL. However, I suppose only the organisation itself can say whether they're the same club; PAFC say they are, so that's good enough for me. From that point of view, they can go their hardest with wearing the PBs.
But in saying that, I can see the merit to arguments that they agreed to join the AFL on the condition to change their uniform. As unfortunate as it is, those rules were agreed to.
But it just wouldn't be right for Port wear those crappy light blue hoops to celebrate 150 years when the PBs are their true identity, so the club should strike an agreement with the league - not Collingwood - to be able to wear the bars.

I'm a little bit torn on this issue. I feel for Port and how they're being cut off from their heritage due to another club.

But on the other hand, an agreement was made and a trademark is a trademark.
Eddie used the term trademark loosely, there's no way Collingwood could actually trademark black and white stripes, otherwise every football club in Australia who wanted to use them (PA SANFL included) would have to get the OK from Collingwood first.

Pretty hard to argue they've got a case when they voluntarily relinquished the right to wear black and white stripes in exchange for joining the league.

They traded away their guernsey for the benefit of being on a national comp. That's the difference between this case and Araenal/Liverpool/Man U etc.

Welching on a deal is pretty poor form, I'm not sure why they'd expect Collingwood or anyone else to have much sympathy. ..

I agree, Eddie (and the AFL) see Collingwood as above the rest of the league. While it’s obvious that Eddie should see his club as #1, the AFL and Port shouldn’t fold on the topic (something I can’t say won’t happen under the current admin)
Why bring up the SFA? Well, probably because your persona and at times provocative posting style carries over to here.
—————
In all honesty, while this thread topic should be discussed, might be worth getting a lock on the thread, because it seems we can’t have a healthy debate on this topic. As much as I’d love for everyone to be on Port’s side of the PB debate, I get that people have their own reasons to be against it and that’s fine, but when we get 1997 and 119 and tarp jokes, it’s clear that we’ve strayed from the original topic.

Your SFA quip is a joke just like your reply.
1997 is the birth of the Power how is that not on topic?

First you whine about me and my SFA ties then you cry stay on topic, no wonder no one takes Port seriously.

Honestly I don’t care what they wear as long as they do what they said they would do upon joining.
Blaming Eddie for sticking up for his club while You and the rest of the Port followers are doing the same is also a big fat joke.

Surely you lot can see the other side here, you’re administrators back in the day messed up. It’s there fault, hunt them down.

I reckon the debate should hinge on whether the Power and Magpies (of the Port variety) are the same club. In my view, if they were the same club, the Magpies would have ceased to exist as soon as the club joined the AFL. However, I suppose only the organisation itself can say whether they're the same club; PAFC say they are, so that's good enough for me. From that point of view, they can go their hardest with wearing the PBs.
But in saying that, I can see the merit to arguments that they agreed to join the AFL on the condition to change their uniform. As unfortunate as it is, those rules were agreed to.
But it just wouldn't be right for Port wear those crappy light blue hoops to celebrate 150 years when the PBs are their true identity, so the club should strike an agreement with the league - not Collingwood - to be able to wear the bars.
In 1997 when we joined the AFL there was no Port Magpies until the SANFL created a filler club to fill the gap that was left in the SANFL called “Port Adelaide Magpies Football Club” (so PAMFC, the AFL side was and is still the original PAFC). We later merged in 2012 I think (I was young at the time) so the senior team is the original PAFC and the reserves team is now part of the original club but they weren’t for a long time. It’s confusing, I know, but the main point is AFL Port is the same team established in 1870.
Pretty hard to argue they've got a case when they voluntarily relinquished the right to wear black and white stripes in exchange for joining the league.

They traded away their guernsey for the benefit of being on a national comp. That's the difference between this case and Araenal/Liverpool/Man U etc.

Welching on a deal is pretty poor form, I'm not sure why they'd expect Collingwood or anyone else to have much sympathy. ..
I wouldn’t say voluntarily. It was more of a gun to the head situation where they say “get rid of the PBs and Magpies name or you become irrelevant” which we didn’t want to happen. I don’t recall Collingwood ever pulling out a signed deal and when Collingwood claim that we signed a deal to never wear them again each time we wore them (heritage round, 2013, 2014) Port claim to have never signed one. It’s a massive cluster* but we can’t exactly say that Port agreed to never wear them again until we see a deal.

Who, Collingwood?

Like when Eddie refused to play away games against North Melbourne, unless North wore an alternate strip in their own home game.

And the lied the media and told everyone that there was a contract between Collingwood and the Kangaroos for it to happen?

Eddie can go and get ****ed.

It should be noted that the AFL is a vastly different comp now compared to what it was in 1997. The league also plans to expand even further over the next few years & we are already well into the era where all 18 clubs are required to have a suitable home & clash variant of their jumper.

Despite what deals Port may have agreed to back in the day, it just doesn't make any sense for Eddie to deny them what's rightfully theirs anymore. Port aren't even asking to wear the PB's full time either. Besides, they're fundamentally different jumpers & anyone who isn't a casual footy fan would have no trouble at all distinguishing the black & white stripes of Collingwood from the the PB's of PA.

Eddie used the term trademark loosely, there's no way Collingwood could actually trademark black and white stripes, otherwise every football club in Australia who wanted to use them (PA SANFL included) would have to get the OK from Collingwood first.
And good ol Swan Districts in the WAFL. Black and white stripes arent copywritable.

I wouldn’t say voluntarily. It was more of a gun to the head situation where they say “get rid of the PBs and Magpies name or you become irrelevant” which we didn’t want to happen.
A bit off topic, but Port went behind SANFL's back in joining the AFL did they not? They proactively chose to do so at the cost of their allegiance to the SANFL and paid the price of losing part of their identity.

Back