Movie Promising Young Woman

Remove this Banner Ad

I liked this movie but it was pretty easy to pick a fair way out that the BF was going to have been involved in the party where her friend was raped. I mean, they all went to school together, it was pretty obvious it would turn out that way. I did find myself thinking what was the cost to society of her bringing him down considering he was a paediatric surgeon and he wasn't directly involved in the incident though was a witness but for the purposes of the movie was good to see him brought down along with the others.

I thought it was a bit too Tarantino for a film that wanted to be taken as a serious commentary on issues of sexual assault but it got the message across. Was a fun watch for a revenge movie but not something I'd hurry back to watch again.

That’s excellent background, wasn’t aware of that. Watched this last night and powerful movie, Mulligan was great….but ….

Not sure why Ryan wanted to link up with her though especially as he was quite aware of her and her friends background when they met in the shop
I think that's the flaw of his character - he saw himself as a nice guy, and therefore it didn't register that he had anything to be ashamed of until eventually confronted, much like every other character.

Great movie. Her being suffocated was a pretty harrowing scene. I don't buy that she did all that planning and then didn't get handcuffs that would work, but that's the way they wanted it to end so needed something to go wrong. Would've preferred to have seen her plan succeed and the repercussions of that.

The dude would have done a couple of years probably. Once they realise everyone was drugged and her plan, his lawyers would have a field day.

I’m completely addicted to this film, every-night-in-a-week level, up there with my fave films from this century. There isn’t really a moment I don’t like, maybe one or two lines I could live without but absolutely no filler for me.

As far as highly rewatchable comfort drama goes, it helps to have relatable characters to lose yourself in, and thirtysomething washed-up grief-chronic dark horses with no fks given for their future and not afraid to appear blind drunk (also see something like High Tide) is definitely a go-to cinemood I can’t really seem to get enough of. Engaging, broken, real women who don’t suffer fools. I like spending time with Cassie, swooning over Ryan, and feeling the loss of Nina. The millennial gallery of harmless ‘nice guy’ casting, prowling flytrap wit, twisted Daria in candyland visual vibe and subverse-drops all really do it for me. And nice seeing Laverne not having to explicitly play trans for once. I really adore everything about the romantic blue mug cafe scene, omfg! 🙀 🥰 And the eerie resemblance of the Al-Nina history to the reported Christian Porter allegation provides that extra haunting timely oomph that bleeds into reality. As far as debut films go this is crazy good and I can’t get enough of it.

I haven't seen it but it sounds like a third wave feminist "all men are evil" movie so I'll probably give it a miss.
For someone that likes to pontificate about how extremely well read they are, you're doing a great job of judging a book by its cover.

This movie is actually funny as, it's not preachy and it doesn't take itself too seriously.

You're missing out mate :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back