PSD pick #14 - Jesse Crichton

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, my thoughts too. I posted somewhere on this board that he has a lot of attributes, but none of them stand out and most sit what I would say are just bellow AFL standard ... at least to this point. He's pretty fierce for the contest and a good tackler, but he's not fanatical. He can kick OK, but it's far from elite and dependable. He's not a slow decision maker but, again, it's just, meh, average. His questionable tank is a real issue for his type of player. If he had that, then he could at least be a Mzungu type - not highly skilled but runs hard all day and just keeps himself in the game, but he's far from that.

I can see why we picked him, if he could just tweak a few things 10% up then he could be quality squad member providing valuable depth.

Felt looking from the outside and seeing his slightly eccentric/funny behaviour on FreoTV and in radio interviews, that he was still a bit of a kid growing up. (I remember when he made his debut, his manager, who was commentating on the game said he had a tattoo of his nickname "Crichto" somewhere on his body).

Pretty sure he's from a single parent family too, and reckon it would take a bit more time for him to fit in with the group coming from Tassie, and playing for Peel.

The host club scenario should help him next year, as Peel should be a much more competitive team, and have periods of play where they actually control possession.

Not sure how he'd break into the Dockers team on a permanent basis, though. He's done some shut down roles at times, but wouldn't have anywhere near the running capacity of a Crowley - who is elite, though he does have pace off the mark, which Crowls probably doesn't have.

That vision of the 3k time trial a week or so ago showed Crichton finishing in a bunch of 4, between the two Pearce's, who were just behind Ibbotson.

Recapping what was written about him prior to 2009, I've highlighted in bold some of the things (re: weapons) that I've seen glimpses of since he's been at Fremantle:

http://afldraftinfo.blogspot.com.au/2009/10/jesse-crichton-tasmania-draft-profile.html

Strengths
> Very clean hands below the knees
> Very good ball user by hand – sharp reflexes, neat, appropriate power and good hurt factor
> Good vision and poise in traffic – good extractor in traffic and has the ability to create time with his evasive skills with creative handballing ability to regularly release players into space
> Excellent evasive ability/balance and very good leap
> Good all-round ballwinning ability both in close and in space
> Very good defensive work-ethic – chases, tackles, pressures and does the 1%ers with good impact - run down tackles are a speciality
> Plenty of tenacity and courage- sticks his head over the footy consistently - surprisingly effective and prolific tackler
> Good pace off the mark (seemed to have more zip last year, but still better than DC results for 20m) and good top speed/ability to cover ground (and very good closing speed), impressive leap and exceptional evasiveness (and defensive agility) – capable of being a creative and dynamic playmaker that can use his athleticism effectively both in congestion and space (saw much more of it last year)

Weaknesses
> Lack of physical strength and very skinny build – easily pushed off the ball by bigger opponents in contests – would be concerns about how well he’ll bulk up
> Below average kicking reliability and one-sidedness
> Average running capacity, but given his lack of strength and size he needs to have much more – is prone to going missing within games

Other
> OK-decent LF kick – typically good weighting over short-med range, can get good depth but not consistently or reliable, but lacks power, seems one sided and hasn’t got slightly below average reliability (prone to shanks)
> Slight reach advantage for his height
> Very good BA U18 year in 2008 where he thrived on the step up from division 2 to 1 in the 2008 U18 championships, doubling his output (and producing his best performance against Vic Metro) – however not quite as impressive this year and struggled at times with extra attention – not as dynamic
> I see his best position through the midfield, but with his build and frame it may be a reach at AFL – could alternatively play off a wing or HBF (if he improves kicking reliability)
> Physically he isn’t ready for consistent AFL action next year due to his build
> Has senior experience in TSFL
> AIS-AFL squad member
> Played in 2 U18 championships (2008 and 2009)

Overall
Crichton is a dynamic medium midfield option, who despite showing a lot of promise last year as a bottom ager, hasn’t kicked on as much this year as a top ager. At worst he will struggle to bulk up and won’t fire much of a shot at AFL, at best he could probably be a top 150 player in the competition. I see his value as a mid second round to early 3rd round selection.

stax on the mull your post kind of supports mine.. good pace off the mark? That isnt really a weapon, good is standard I would of thought. Good all round ball winning.. doesn't really cut it does it? Good vision is great if he hits his targets. Anyway, he obviously has something going for him, they did redraft him after all. Hopefully we get to see why this year.

This kid is probably unlucky. Even if he lifts his game a notch that won't be good enough to get a game in our midfield next year (barring a lot of injuries). Best he can hope for is to get some market value.

When he arrived, the highlights video showed him to be a ferocious tackler.
Must say that dropped out of his game a bit after a couple of seasons. Schloithe's tackling numbers seem to have dropped off a bit too after being drafted as well. (like to hear from someone who watches SF games). I think some players think their job is done once that have been drafted.

Must say that dropped out of his game a bit after a couple of seasons. Schloithe's tackling numbers seem to have dropped off a bit too after being drafted as well. (like to hear from someone who watches SF games). I think some players think their job is done once that have been drafted.
Might also be harder tackling seasoned AFL players than other scrawny kids until you get your size up.

Schloithe played 5 games at Reserves or League level in 2011 for 3.8 tackles and 12.8 disposals
In 2012 at the same level he played 19 games an averaged 3.0 tackles and 17.2 disposals.

So yeah, less tackles but he got much more of the footy.

Schloithe played 5 games at Reserves or League level in 2011 for 3.8 tackles and 12.8 disposals
In 2012 at the same level he played 19 games an averaged 3.0 tackles and 17.2 disposals.

So yeah, less tackles but he got much more of the footy.
Ta. Played a different role too. More midfield rather than defensive forward pocket.

As the levels rise guys get harder to catch as they get smarter with decisions, quicker and better blocking support.

To say a guy has got complacent because his tackle stats are lower as he rises in levels strikes me as overly simplistic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stax on the Mull- That draft analysis is pretty fair, but there are a few assumptions made in it (and your post). As some others have noted I'm from Tassie and know Jesse and his family very well. He's from a farm (although his Mum and Dad have sold recently and moved to the big smoke of Scottsdale), played footy at Branxholm (a town of about 200 people) and is basically very much a country boy. I played with his dad and coached Jesse as well. He then went to North Launceston and played senior footy there and was a standout with his ability in traffic. His first u18 Champs was outstanding and his second good. Was easily Tassies second best player over that draft period behind Harwood. Has always been a question mark over his application (is a bit too laid back and loved a beer with the boys) but not his ability. So going to Freeo and being a professional footballer with a country footballers attitude has probably resulted in Jesse being at the point where he's at. That given, if he knuckles down I think you guys will be pleasantly surprised with the rapid development that he'll make. He has the genetics to be a much better runner and power athlete than people think, his father would probably still get a game for Melbourne!

Awesome stuff H.
I hope he gets a chance to play against Hawthorn at Aurora. I met his mum down there back in 2010 when we sent the kids to the slaughterhouse.

Yep, they should have taken the sheep ship instead of the plane to Tazzie that day!

I think for them to take him back on the main list rather than the rookie list means that Ross might have a role in mind for him. If nothing else he is good insurance and will keep the pressure on our more credentialed players.

He has another year to show what he can do.

Happy that Jesse is back on the main list. Without giving too much away I spoke to Jesse just after his review with Ross and the message to him was we'll redraft you but there's a lot of hard work ahead and you've only been a professional footballer for a few months. (Read between the lines here).

I believe that Ross firmly believes that Jesse now has the attitude to match his ability and that he'll be able to turn him around pretty quickly.

Is that fair dinkum ?

Is that fair dinkum ?
Isn't the implication that his work ethic has only been professional for a while? Basically, since he was at risk of being delisted? Or am I just naive and have totally got this wrong?

I reckon he'd be an okay tagger. A fitness base is probably the easiest attribute to build on when you're fully developed (physically and in terms of technique). So with this master of none ability, but a new contract, I reckon he'd be a decent nod at being an okay tagger.

Yes. I had a pretty good conversation with Jesse and while I won't go into it in detail the implied nature of the comment is that he has been slack and he needs to pull his finger out.

Backed up here

“I was cruising in my first three years here,” he said.

“I was taking it as it comes, but it goes pretty quick and can be over just like that.

“This time around I’m going to try and make the most of every opportunity and do the best I can.”

“I tried to stick with Sam Menegola, who is the best runner at the club, and run with him, and Alex Silvagni, who is a beast in the gym.

“I worked out with those two as much as I could and stick to what they do.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back