QAFL 2024 season

Remove this Banner Ad

Aspley won the game 83-40. Also, that is the last time I tip Noosa EVER!!!!!! Do not tip Sunshine Coast teams when they have winnable games. Seems like they’re cursed.

I think it’s season over for Broadbeach based on today’s result.

Broadbeach were done before the season started. Between Malceski dumping them late for the Suns role and a staggering lack of recruitment to fill retirements & blokes pissing off on FIFO gigs.

Word around the club is they let Hickey walk to Palmy over a coupe of thousand.

The current injury list doesn’t help, but alarm bells were ringing long before this season started.

Broadbeach were done before the season started. Between Malceski dumping them late for the Suns role and a staggering lack of recruitment to fill retirements & blokes pissing off on FIFO gigs.

The current injury list doesn’t help, but alarm bells were ringing long before this season started.
Welcome to fifo impacting your club 🙄

Great outline as usual Toucan.

West Brisbane Warriors was a merger between longtime neighbours Western Districts & Sherwood with games played at Chelmer oval. Won a premiership in 1996??? And then disbanded. The “inclusive” Western Magpies emerged soon after I think you should because the name change back to Sherwood is just that, name change. I suppose the answer to the question may be assisted by do you include Sandgate in the short term but successful merger with Zillmere to make North Brisbane/Northern Eagles that played at Zillmere? Thommo please correct any of this.

Coorparoo is a slightly different one. Same name (although nickname of Roos v Kings), they play at Giffin Park, where the precise same Carlton style uniform and there have been Roos old boys reunions held at Kings home games. Both the Kings and Mayne call each other traditional rivals for their ANZAC clash so the long term is used when convenient.

SMY, what’s the detailed history connections with the Maroochydore name?
Maroochydore senior club went into hibernation from 2000-2006 I think it was.
Nth shore Jets FC was formed in 1999 and played as this entity until Maroochydore reformed as a merged team with them in 2006(dates might be wrong) creating Maroochy nth shore Roos. Nth shore jets continued as a junior club. Maroochydore juniors continued to play as the Roos.

Forget the year exactly but around 2010 Maroochydore senior club went their own way and both clubs have played as their original entities since. Bloody complicated as u can see !

Magnificent game of footy at Fish rd with both SP and Roos playing out a thriller. There was a 5min period right towards the end of the last qrt with game in balance and bodies flying everywhere. SP just a bit too good when it mattered and created a goal from broken play.
It was a seriously good game of footy and very entertaining for the decent crowd that rolled in.
Roos will be very tough to beat as they start to get a few key playmakers back.

Not sure the cats tried too hard to keep the blokes from the FIFO gigs.

Tipping update ;

6 tipsters picked the card,, well done .. The ladder is extermely competitive .
Big E tipped 6 and becomes the new leader .

32; BIG E
31; ALL OR NOTHING, PUGS AND WESTERMAN
30; DE ZARIO, STIIL ME, BUD 63, CLUELESS, SMY
29; THUNDERDOC, BIG TEX, MAGPIE BOY,
28;BUNYIP, BOOPS NWO, TOUCAN SOUP, FOOTY BOY, TIME TO RETIRE
27; UP IT STUMPY, UP TO BRIZZ,STUYD, DJONNO, SIMPLE SAUCE, 2010 PREMIER
26; LONGY ZILLMERE,SWITCHING THE PLAY, GOALKICKER, MOBBS, AJ8
25; LAGGING BEHIND
21; NOOSA BOY

Tipping update ;

6 tipsters picked the card,, well done .. The ladder is extermely competitive .
Big E tipped 6 and becomes the new leader .

32; BIG E
31; ALL OR NOTHING, PUGS AND WESTERMAN
30; DE ZARIO, STIIL ME, BUD 63, CLUELESS, SMY
29; THUNDERDOC, BIG TEX, MAGPIE BOY,
28;BUNYIP, BOOPS NWO, TOUCAN SOUP, FOOTY BOY, TIME TO RETIRE
27; UP IT STUMPY, UP TO BRIZZ,STUYD, DJONNO, SIMPLE SAUCE, 2010 PREMIER
26; LONGY ZILLMERE,SWITCHING THE PLAY, GOALKICKER, MOBBS, AJ8
25; LAGGING BEHIND
21; NOOSA BOY
Not competitive at my end stuyd
I’m done picking Noosa😂

Since the current fixture is lopsided due the number of teams is it time we put the draw out for everyone playing each other once , then the back half of fixture is done on ladder positions at that point.

Have a midseason bye so fixtures can be done and gives everyone a few weeks to prepare maybe?

Would at least mean bottom end sides at least get to play each twice for more even contest.

Just at present whoever gets MtGravatt twice is definitely at an advantage especially if it’s an Aspley, Redlands etc.

I get might be some push back but would be bit more beneficial to Sherwood, Noosa etc and would it really impact Final 6 outcome?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Since the current fixture is lopsided due the number of teams is it time we put the draw out for everyone playing each other once , then the back half of fixture is done on ladder positions at that point.

Have a midseason bye so fixtures can be done and gives everyone a few weeks to prepare maybe?

Would at least mean bottom end sides at least get to play each twice for more even contest.

Just at present whoever gets MtGravatt twice is definitely at an advantage especially if it’s an Aspley, Redlands etc.

I get might be some push back but would be bit more beneficial to Sherwood, Noosa etc and would it really impact Final 6 outcome?
Just for this year though SM. Hopefully no dramas next year and beyond.

It's an advantage the get the bottom side twice any season. They do the fixture and try to avoid bottom sides getting the top sides twice anyway, but can't always predict the ladder, so naturally do it off the previous year.

Morningside finished 9th last year, and their % was 20 lower than 8th. As a result, they would get a more favourable draw than the Top 6. Just as Grange got a very favourable draw in 2023

Noosa, Sherwood, Morningside and Mt Gravatt were bottom 4 last year - I haven't checked the fixture, but I imagine they all play each other twice as a result, and only 1 of them might play Aspley or Redland twice, and none would play both twice would be my guess.

League pretty competitive too, can't be off your game and injuries/suspension/availability likely to play a big part. Look at Broady, only one win and struggling, but that win was a pretty good one over a quality side like Labrador.

Clubs like Morningside and Grange who loaded up on players, and can't pick their best sides due to points, will naturally have better coverage for injuries/suspension with plenty of handy ready made blokes in the magoos.

Palmy the surprise packet at this point, going really well. I was on the GC on Saturday arvo visiting family and watched the first half, bit of home deck advantage on the mud pit for Palmy....reckon sharks prefer a dry track! Palmy deck is diabolical, should play games somewhere else, as can't even get into their social club due to never ending roadworks either, so probablky wouldn't lose much revenue.

Very little said about the Palmy v Redlands game. Seems almost like Palmy are flying under the radar. Should be a ripper this week v Surfers.

A lot of lesser name recruits humming a long nicely too. Massive squad turnover the last couple of seasons. Still very early in the season. Long way to go!

In regards to the earlier post about the state of the ground. The week leading up had a ton of rain so naturally the cricket pitch will become a factor.

The club has done extremely well managing game days with the m1 roadworks. The sports club was on its knees with the lack of income so to suggest moving grounds is wild!

sorry, just figured with the ground in such bad shape and the sports club getting limited income due to the roadworks - that moving wouldn't cost too much revenue.

I was there in person, and the pitch was essentially unplayable - had to slow your speed to go through it and it looked genuinely dangerous

sorry, just figured with the ground in such bad shape and the sports club getting limited income due to the roadworks - that moving wouldn't cost too much revenue.

I was there in person, and the pitch was essentially unplayable - had to slow your speed to go through it and it looked genuinely dangerous
Definitely dangerous if batting

Remove this Banner Ad

Back