Health Quit Smoking - all mental

Remove this Banner Ad

Of course it worked.

Thats not to say its safe.

Remember "side effects" is a throwaway term. There is no such thing. These pills directly made you sick, if anything, it was the quitting smoking that was a "side" effect.

I'm not getting into that, that's your opinion and you are welcome to it. Most drugs have a list of side effects for users to take note of - I'm just saying that I didn't experience suicidal thoughts myself and I'm not sure how my vivid dreams were a result of my quitting smoking but like I said you are welcome to your opinion

Just clicked over two months late last week. It is much easier now but rarely I get the worse craving that lasts about 30 seconds and then nothing for days. I have read that this may happen for the rest of my life. :mad:

Just clicked over two months late last week. It is much easier now but rarely I get the worse craving that lasts about 30 seconds and then nothing for days. I have read that this may happen for the rest of my life. :mad:

Those 30 seconds every week are worth every dollar saved and every cell's health.

Well done. It only gets easier from here.

I'm not getting into that, that's your opinion and you are welcome to it. Most drugs have a list of side effects for users to take note of - I'm just saying that I didn't experience suicidal thoughts myself and I'm not sure how my vivid dreams were a result of my quitting smoking but like I said you are welcome to your opinion

Your brain changed. Up to you whether a magic pill is seen as a good solution or not.

But congratulations anyway.

It's been going on 5 years for me and I can go months and months without even giving a thought to having a ciggie (and I work with people who still smoke) and then out of the blue I think "geez I could go a cigarette right now" - funnily enough I've never had the urge walking past the old smoke counter at the supermarket. Another friend hasn't smoked for over 20 years and says she still gets the odd fleeting thought - I suppose though it's the ability now to process it, dismiss it and move on unlike before

Is it a prescription medicine in Australia? I'm in Russia at the moment, and just went and bought it at the chemist. It cost $260 (AUD equivalent)

Not too worried about side effects. If, in the unlikely event, I go troppo, then I'll stop taking it. Otherwise, I'll quite smoking. Worth the gamble I reckon.

Also - just wondering - does Champix also cancel out your desire to smoke cigars? I enjoy really a cigar sometimes. Would be an insignificant loss if I couldn't smoke them, but curious to know.

Is it a prescription medicine in Australia? I'm in Russia at the moment, and just went and bought it at the chemist. It cost $260 (AUD equivalent)

Not too worried about side effects. If, in the unlikely event, I go troppo, then I'll stop taking it. Otherwise, I'll quite smoking. Worth the gamble I reckon.

It is by prescription and when I bought it, it was around $30.00 a packet (I think) - unfortunately can't help you with the cigar question but presume it would be much the same

Been on the Champix for 2.5 weeks so far. Still smoking. Missed my quit day. Feel pretty rotten - very tired, sometimes nauseous. Sleeping extremely well, but it doesn't seem to be helping with the tiredness. Can't report any crazy dreams, which is slightly disappointing.

Still, there is some tangible effect so far. I'm smoking a fair bit less, and having trouble finishing a smoke. Really not getting the enjoyment from it like I used to. Also, I'm missing some routine smokes, as I kind of just "forget" to have them. Didn't smoke at lunch today, which is extremely odd.

I'm going to persist and see how it goes.

Looking forward to quitting!

(Damn, this thread just makes me want to light one up!) :mad:

I have managed to stop smoking full stop whilst sober. But, when Im drunk, I turn into the biggest chain smoker alive. Anyone have solutions to that? Ill be having a few beers with no plan to smoke, than just get incredible urges,.

E-cigs mate. They work a treat.
Still havent had a smoke and it was six months yesterday I had my heart attack.

What brand do you use Doc? I used some but they were expensive and a pain in the ass to get refill cartridges. I hear the ones where you can use eliquid are the way to go.

Thought i'd share my experience.

Was never a real heavy smoker although have had up to 10 a day for the past 12 yrs. Coffee and a smoke went together beautifully and they were my breakfast and nightcap most days.

Most of that time had been ciggies but they were really starting to make me feel shit, so not being able to give up i changed to rollies a couple of years ago, i must say i couldn't smoke a ciggie after the change, they really are nasty.

Anyway, had been thinking about giving up all together recently and it just so happened there was a perfect storm when on the same night 12 days ago i ran out of tobacco, papers and filters. I thought it must of been an omen and that was it.

The next day i put a patch on (left over from a halfhearted attempt a while back) and bought some nicotine gum.

2nd day didn't even have a patch on and just had a chewy everytime i felt like a smoke.

12 days later and down to about 2 chewys a day. Not even really thinking about the smokes, and to be honest could probably do away with the chewys if i really wanted. Pretty happy with myself, and do feel better as well as smell nicer;)

The big test was being at work where smoking was the only real chance I'd have to have a break, but surprisingly got through that pretty easily with the chewys. I also found that telling people i had quit helped due to the peer pressure factor.

All in all doing well, i was scared about giving up but this time i think its the real deal.

Unexpected consequence: I'm now finding i get dehydrated through the day as I'm not drinking fluids as much. I'd always drink something when i smoked, now i have to remind myself to drink without the smoking trigger.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good on you jezzaroo.

I haven't had a cig for five months - i used to smoke when i went out and sometimes i'd smoke sober (but usually no more than 3 a day if any).

I'll share an update on the Champix. I'm in the middle of the 4th week of taking them. Down to 5-6 smokes a day (from 30). Went 8 hours without a cigarette yesterday, and when I finally had one, it didn't have any sort of calming/enjoyable/relaxing effect. It didn't do anything.

Seems that the nicotine receptor is totally blocked now, and it's just a matter of kicking the actual habit. The fact that I don't feel like I want to smoke is helping that, but the routine of smoking seems quite hard to crack.

Side effects of the tablets have totally disappeared (nausea, tiredness).

For the first time ever, I've come to work today without any cigarettes or lighter. Will see how I go. :confused:

I'll share an update on the Champix. I'm in the middle of the 4th week of taking them. Down to 5-6 smokes a day (from 30). Went 8 hours without a cigarette yesterday, and when I finally had one, it didn't have any sort of calming/enjoyable/relaxing effect. It didn't do anything.

Seems that the nicotine receptor is totally blocked now, and it's just a matter of kicking the actual habit. The fact that I don't feel like I want to smoke is helping that, but the routine of smoking seems quite hard to crack.

Side effects of the tablets have totally disappeared (nausea, tiredness).

For the first time ever, I've come to work today without any cigarettes or lighter. Will see how I go. :confused:

Goodluck mate! Soon enough you won't even be thinking about smoking at work. The only thing that reminds me is this thread! haha

went from smoking capt black cremes, packet a day (between me and the misses, so basically 15 for me and about 5 for her) to a 50gm packet of rollies between us a week
went from spending 140 bucks down to about 45 bucks a week
have noticed with rollies tho they re a lot harsher (even with filters) and i cough up a lot more shite
still
got to knock this shit on the head
been doing the roll before i go to work thing and only taking about 10.
found myself coming home with about 2 or 3 still and the misses and i would have them before we went to bed (i work arvos)

back to work this mon after a week or so off and im going to roll 5 and only take the 5 (for a ten hr shift)

got to be done
has to be

So I stopped smoking last Tuesday thanks to the Champix. Haven't had a smoke since, and haven't felt like having one. There's been no side effects of quitting (no agitation, cravings etc), and I haven't had to exercise an ounce of will power to do this. Even when I had a few drinks on the weekend and everyone was smoking, I didn't have one. I basically don't think about smoking at all during the day. Almost as if I never smoked.

There is a small exception which happens once or twice a day when you encounter a situation where you'd normally fill the time by smoking. For a minute or so I don't know what to do with myself, but then the feeling passes.

So Champix has been great so far. Took quite a long time to kick in though. Side effects were extremely minimal and limited to the 2/3 weeks.

I will, however, continue to take the tablets for the remaining time (2 months and 3 weeks).

I think i'm going to have another crack at giving up. lol. I'm finding i'm smoking a bit more lately, up to around 15 a day. I'm not sure how MoscowHawk managed 30 a day! I normally would have 1 an hour, but i find when i start having cigarettes too close to each other i almost feel ill. I bought a bike and so on and want to get fit etc....

I used to smoke about 10-15 for last 10 years. I saw a hypnotist that a chick from work had referred me to. ( she was bout 40, been smoking her whole life and it work for her). I didnt smoke for over 2 months then when away with the boys and smoked that weekend. Came home but still have no interest in smoking so I guessing when I binge drink I will be up for a smoke but other than that I guess I have cut my smoking down by about 95 per cent. Not bad for 120 bucks and an hour of some guy putting thoughts in ur brain.

I'm coming up to 5 weeks and feeling pretty good. Went cold turkey. Wasn't a massive smoker during the week but once Friday came around and I knocked off work that's when it would start. i think that's why it was a little easier for me. The hardest part was all my friends are big time smokers and whenever I was around them obviously got the worst cravings, but that has almost stopped.

The other great thing is, one of my mates who has been a long time smoker has quit too! So I'm glad to see people who see you quit think they can do the same thing!

Good luck everyone!

Haven't had a smoke in a week now. My Dad had been offering me his patches for around a month but I never really thought about using em, until I was at his and had run out of smokes.. thought **** it and asked him for the patches. They're 21mg 24 hour ones.. He told me to leave them on whilst I slept, so I did & woke up the next day in a pool of sweat, room 'spinning' and felt like I was gonna throw up. Turns out I had a nicotine overdose cause of his advice lol, cheers Dad :thumbsu:

Question guys, if I cut a 21mg 24 hour patch in half, will that make it a 10 1/2mg patch or a 12 hour patch, or both? Just hoping I don't have to go out and buy a lower mg pack in a week or so..

Haven't had a smoke in a week now. My Dad had been offering me his patches for around a month but I never really thought about using em, until I was at his and had run out of smokes.. thought **** it and asked him for the patches. They're 21mg 24 hour ones.. He told me to leave them on whilst I slept, so I did & woke up the next day in a pool of sweat, room 'spinning' and felt like I was gonna throw up. Turns out I had a nicotine overdose cause of his advice lol, cheers Dad :thumbsu:

Question guys, if I cut a 21mg 24 hour patch in half, will that make it a 10 1/2mg patch or a 12 hour patch, or both? Just hoping I don't have to go out and buy a lower mg pack in a week or so..

Glad it's going ok for you (other than overdosing on nicotine) but what's the issue with buying more patches

Recently got off the cigs for about 6-8 weeks using champix. The nausea was killing me so I went off the drug after 4 weeks, kept it up for 4 weeks then fell back into it again.

I've now tried the following:

Patches - got off the smokes for 3 months, soon as i stopped the patches went back to smoking
Gum - never worked for me at all
Hypnotherapy - first time it worked for 18 months, second time only 4 months. Diminishing returns.
Cold turkey - can usually get up to a couple of weeks before failing again, have done this like a dozen times
Champix - 2 months with bad side effects

Running out of options and time at this point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back