R.I.P Paul Couch

Remove this Banner Ad

One of Geelong's greatest players and probably one of the game's most likeable personalities. Indeed his early days he was a garbologist, then a car salesman, and then later on had a tilt at Parliament in his local area, and was always such a friendly and popular man. All my teenage and early 20's memories are of him being in the engine room of the great but ultimately flag-less Cat sides of the 80's and 90's, many a kick landed on Gaz Sr's ample chest. At age 51, and he was born on the exact same day as great team-mate Andrew Bews, being 19/7/64 his passing is a sad moment, and much too soon for this Geelong and AFL champion.
Great post, RIP Paul

Condolences to friends family and all the cats fans, way to young

Always sad new to hear this - my best wishes go out to his family.

I am grateful I survived one last March.

Tell your loved ones how much they mean to you, coz one day it will be your last and you may not have control over your exit. Life is to short to hold grudges and remove those people from your life that suck your life force/energy.
My Dad was 51 when he died - this brings it all flooding back. So incredibly sad: my heart goes out to the Couch family.

My Dad was 51 when he died - this brings it all flooding back. So incredibly sad: my heart goes out to the Couch family.
All the best to you mate. I almost lost my Dad and every time I hear about this happening (to the Couch's or you) I thank my lucky stars I still have him, and can't imagine the pain of losing a loved one suddenly or so young. My thoughts are with everyone.

Couchy's smile is what I remember, alongside the brilliant footy he played when I first fell in love with footy.
Rest in Peace.

Yes so sad and given its totally unexpected its impact on the family can't be understated.

I was 53 last year, reasonably fit, slightly overweight, never smoked, so never take things for granted.

I ride my bike three times a week ....I've ridden the great ocean road many times when on holidays also

Just sad sad and more sad

Love to his family and friends - stay strong

Remember his cheeky grin.... Life is so short I had forgotten he'd won the brownlow... I was 15 at the time... It's funny how you forget some players if they aren't in the media.So sorry for his family

RIP

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shattering hearing this on the radio after a long hot afternoon on the cricket field

One of the true midfield warriors of the late 80s/90s and a joy to watch as a kid, tough but talented. Couldn't kick right foot, but boy his left was lethal.

Up there with Paul Kelly, Diesel, Libba, Johnny Platten etc as some of the best grunt types of his age.

Gone way too early, condolences to his family, friends and GFC

RIP Paul :(

Very good memories of Couch, terrif player, and bloke it seems. Very sad. Condolences to family. RIP Paul Couch.

This is very sad news, RIP Paul Couch.

From the article I read, Paul Couch was still a very fit and healthy man - no mention of him having an illness or ongoing medical condition.

Damn. My thoughts go out to the Couch family, friends and Geelong supporters. Way too young.

We love you couchy. Thanks for all the memories, i used to run around my backyard and pretend i was you kicking lace out passes to gaz.

Sleep easy

In the first half of the 90's my brother, Dad and I had the 5, 6 and 7 Cats guernseys. I had Ablett's 5, my brother would rove around in Couchies 7 and my Dad had Barnesy's 6, because he was obviously taller than us and "played ruck".

Man, this one got me today, a lot of awesome memories flooding back. Couch might not be regarded as one of the greats, in AFL terms, but to a certain vintage of Geelong fans, he'll never be forgotten.

In the first half of the 90's my brother, Dad and I had the 5, 6 and 7 Cats guernseys. I had Ablett's 5, my brother would rove around in Couchies 7 and my Dad had Barnesy's 6, because he was obviously taller than us and "played ruck".

Man, this one got me today, a lot of awesome memories flooding back. Couch might not be regarded as one of the greats, in AFL terms, but to a certain vintage of Geelong fans, he'll never be forgotten.

I used to even try and copy his kicking technique, that hunched over, low ball drop, grass cutter type of kick. Its wierd losing a childhood hero, feels like a family member has passed. Seemed like a ripper bloke aswell. RIP Paul 'giggles' Couch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back