Game Day R2, 2022 - God v Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Q- Is it about the guys you've got in that attack, or is it about the way you're moving to those forwards?

Hinkley- No, I think it's a little bit of both tonight, I think there's no doubt about that. The people in front haven't been able to execute and haven't been able to get enough score on the board for us currently. Doesn't mean they won't, but they haven't been able to currently. Look, we had a number of opportunities and we didn't finish, we didn't make enough of them.

Q- What's the most pressing question on your mind from it?

Hinkley- Maybe they're statements more than questions. The two statements is why have we not got the ability when we go forward to execute better than we did tonight and why haven't we been able to defend the ground tonight, when typically they have been both reasonably solid when we've played well. So I think that's clear. Tonight there's a little bit of a different picture about this one and we need to look.

Q- Do you feel a sense of disconnect between the forwards? Jeremy is obviously new and it seems like sometimes they were running to the same spots. Do you feel like there's a bit of a disconnect?

Hinkley- On a night like tonight you'd have to say that there's some work to be done, but that's the reality of a performance like tonight. We had shots at goal. We had opportunities. Entries! But if you use the word disconnect we didn't execute those opportunities well enough for an AFL side to get a better performance than we did tonight.

Q- What about the transition?

Hinkley- We need to look at why. We've got great history when we're doing that well and we'll look at that to make sure we get a clear picture, as to what broke in a system that usually stands up really strongly, and did not stand up tonight.

So basically his press conference was a whole bunch of spin defending his strategy. We did get 58 inside 50's but the Hawks got 48 rebounding 50's against us, which resulted in 8 or 9 goals to the Hawks. The fact that we had 48 rebound 50s against us shows that the delivery into the 50 was poor. It's poor because the whole strategy is to bang it in and hope for the best. Wake the * up Ken!!!

Same old ken , no answers , just meaningless pollie like speak such as we didnt execute , it had a different look etc .

I was amazed he didn't resort to the usual jargon of praising the other team and somebody has to lose etc. Whilst I didn't include it in my quotes he also referred to the Brisbane game and seemed genuinely impressed at the performance, despite the loss.

At this stage I genuinely believe we are a 50/50 chance against the Crows this week and they are diabolical.

Q- What's the most pressing question on your mind from it?

Hinkley- Maybe they're statements more than questions. The two statements is why have we not got the ability when we go forward to execute better than we did tonight and why haven't we been able to defend the ground tonight, when typically they have been both reasonably solid when we've played well. So I think that's clear. Tonight there's a little bit of a different picture about this one and we need to look.

"I have statements, not questions." Proceeds to pose two questions. He is not operating on all cylinders.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back