Random Best Sportsperson discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

He only played in two countries, England and Australia. They had not started official tests against India at that stage even though teams did go there. But he was suceptable to spin on a spinning wicket. He had a habit of attacking the spinners by moving down the wicket to them. My grandfather knew this and dropped a ball in shirt and as he was bowling he yelled to his wicketkeeper, 'Get him Tiny' and he was stumped. Grandpa was playing for NSW Country Eleven against the NSW team when they went on a tour to South Australia for the Sheffield Shield match at the start of the season.

Stump had played for Sturt and Glenelg in Adelaide and was up for state selection a few times but thought to be unsound due to a slight drinking problem. The problem was that Stump had bowled the opposition out on the Adelaide parkland. He thought he would not be batting as the top order were in. So he went to the pub across the road. All of a sudden there is a bloke at his elbow telling him wickets had fallen and he was next up.

Stump got back in time to pad up and bat. He was going very well hitting 37 in short order and then inexplicately got out. Asked how come he got out he replied well I was seen three balls and up until then I'd taken the one in the middle but that time I decided to take the one on the left. My grandfather was one of the greatest wastes of talent ever to Don a cricket cap. Everyone who saw him bowl knew he was good enough to play for Australia but they also knew he was a drunk too.

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app
Let's give the Bradman discussion the flick. This is not the forum for it!
Maybe you should start a new thread and can talk about all the other sports in the world.
Just not here.

That's bullshit. You can't exclude players just because they did not play in the VFL. The VFL was not much better than those comps. Many players in those days chose to stay home. By the 1980's the VFL was broke and nearly folded at one stage. If it weren't for the state government it probably would have. SANFL and WAFL were in sound financial positions. Out of all the VFL clubs only the powerhouse clubs were viable. South, Fitzroy, North, Footscray, Melbourne, St Kilda were all in financial strife. Fitzroy had been bankrupt on several occasions. South were going to fold if we did not move to Sydney. North was floated on the stockmarket and at one stage owned by Carlton. John Elliot must have got a big gigglevout of that.

The Champions of Australia series, held at the end of each year was a series of matches between WA, SA & Vic Premiers. There are mixed results mate. Believe me they all wanted to win. Some of those matches were vicious. Kevin Sheedy, in 1973, was knocked senseless by Wayne Phillis after King hitting a Glenelg rover.

By the way I gather you are not old enough to know anyway.

You want to respond to my posts do it with respect. You want to be an ignorant Pig don't bother.

How fairies that? Sounds like a discriminatory statement to me. Are you calling GLTBI fairies?

Boy o boy are you touchy. You're even imagining words. What is it with you lefties and your hatred of free speech? Court and Folou are well within their rights to say what they did. If you don't like it, ignore it. I can't begin to imagine what is going on in your head.

Boy o boy are you touchy. You're even imagining words. What is it with you lefties and your hatred of free speech? Court and Folou are well within their rights to say what they did. If you don't like it, ignore it. I can't begin to imagine what is going on in your head.
Leftys and their hatred of free speech hey.. ?
Wow, there are some ignorant people out there.
I joined this place to talk footy, save your Yankee politics for the toilet

Leftys and their hatred of free speech hey.. ?
Wow, there are some ignorant people out there.
I joined this place to talk footy, save your Yankee politics for the toilet
Mikey started it. Blame him.

So, just to reiterate, Wolfy is claiming there were 'friendlies' in India that Bradman refused to play in because he was scared of spin. I am a researcher by trade and i can't find anything on this. Anyone know anything?

Last edited:
Speaking of which, the fight should be starting soon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So, just to reiterate, Wolfy is claiming there were 'friendlies' in India that Bradman refused to play in because he was scared of spin. I am a researcher by trade and i can't find anything on this. Anyone know anything?

Think Wolfy has been Spun a lie

In the winter of 1935, the Maharaja of Patiala funded a venture to bring a team of Australians to India. Frank Tarrant, an Aussie who had played first class cricket in India for many years, made a trip back home to enlist players. But he had to overcome several obstacles, not least of which being the Australian Board's studied policy of non-cooperation. The national team were touring South Africa during the same period, so there was no question of getting the regular Test stars, and the Australian Board did not want the Sheffield Shield to be devalued by an exodus of players to India.

But the ACB's refusal to allow top draws like Bill Woodfull, Bill Ponsford and Alan Kippax to tour, although they had all retired from first class cricket, was baffling. In the end several other grizzly-haired veterans on the wrong side of 40 were roped in. Jack Ryder was captain and the 'Governor-General' Charlie Macartney, Bert Ironmonger, Sammy Love, 'Stork' Hendry, RK Oxenham, Lisle Nagel and Harry Alexander were the Test players in the touring party. The BCCI met in Bombay in August 1935 and gave the go-ahead to the trip. Commencing in Rajkot on November 5, the tour was to comprise of 22 matches, including four Tests.

Hands down the greatest Sabruer in history and seen as the pioneer of the Hungarian style of sabre (a style of sabre still used today).

Wouldn't say he was a politician off the top of my head though (unless you count being told you are too old to compete by an Olympic committee, challenging the entire German team to bouts, winning all of them and getting placed on the team to win a bronze medal at the age of 51?)

Wouldn't say he was a politician off the top of my head though (unless you count being told you are too old to compete by an Olympic committee, challenging the entire German team to bouts, winning all of them and getting placed on the team to win a bronze medal at the age of 51?)
Sheesh. I feel 51 & do not feel like competing at the highest level of anything thanks! :tearsofjoy:

Sheesh. I feel 51 & do not feel like competing at the highest level of anything thanks! :tearsofjoy:

I also made a mistake in that.

At the tender age of 51 he won bronze in the individuals (lost semi 14-15). He also won another gold medal in the teams.

Won gold medals across 6 different Olympics. (Without including the absences from world war 2).

Pretty insane

Paul Elvstrom, 4 Olympic gold, 11 world championships.

Gaius Appuleius Diocles, charioteer.

Total Worth: 35,863,120 sesterces (or 26 tonnes of gold or funding the entire Roman army for more than 2 months).

Gaius Appuleius Diocles, charioteer.

Total Worth: 35,863,120 sesterces (or 26 tonnes of gold or funding the entire Roman army for more than 2 months).

Absolute gold, gold gold.

I had the pleasure of watching young Gaius in his prime and contributed from my modest stipend as a minor, now forgotten Roman poet. Diocles was equally adept using the right and left rein and provided lots of run.

He was however a little prone to fits of extreme violence. I recall the frightful bashing he gave Optus Ridiculus, who I believe may be an ancestor of our unfortunate friend Cde Opts

A millennium from now I have little doubt Diocles will be celebrated and discussed along with Troy Luff and Germaine Greer as one of the great sports in the history of humanity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back