Random Random Chat Thread XL

Remove this Banner Ad

Good stuff!

Next time you're in Bunnings you should go to the trade section and ask what they do with their offcuts.

I needed a couple of bits of 4x2 about 6 and 10 inches long respectively to put my rain gauge up on the outside of my shed (needed to get it higher than the roof) and I grabbed a couple of foot+ long bits for free. There were plenty of other scraps in there. Could pay to do the rounds as you drive sround, Bunnings one day, Home the next, Mitre 10 another time

What's a mitre 10? Like a bunnings only closed down due to non sausage vendorage?

i need to ask...

does anyone actually know about keeping chickens?

do you need a rooster for the hens to lay eggs?

say you have 4 chicjens, does that mean you get like 4 eggs per night?

i may be interested here...

My mother in law used to have chickens, no rooster required. The breed will depend on how many eggs they lay, some breeds are layers and they'll produce an egg every one or two days and the quality is generally better than breeds which aren't specifically for laying.

A rooster is only required for fertilising, and councils generally ban them because they're noisy *ers. You'll find a lot of bylaws about number of chooks, distance from boundary fences and so forth, but if you're on good terms with your neighbours that shouldn't be an issue. A productive hen will be laying an egg a night, but if you're more into feathered-pets than cholesterol-through-the-roof, you can get ex-battery rescue hens that are obviously of a laying breed but have slowed down a little.

Something I'd love to do but never get approval to do from the wife is below. To me it sounds pretty easy, we have a big yard so why not? I know my wife would never go with it though.
  • Have a chook yard that runs the width of the yard and be 3 or 4 metres deep
  • Put the chicken coop slap bang in the middle of the chook yard
  • Fence off one half of the chook yard with a temporary fence that is easily moveable
  • One side of the chook yard is exactly that, the other side is a vegie garden
  • Every year or 2 after the chooks have weeded, scratched, de-pested (surely that's a word) and fertilised the chook yard side, change the temporary fence to the other side of the chicken coop
  • For the next 1 or 2 years let the chooks unleash on the old vegie side whilst I reap the benefits of their work in my new vegie patch
  • I could always use the chicken crap from inside the chicken coop to fertilise the vegie garden side in between chook yard years
  • Rinse and repeat the fence move every 1 or 2 years, all the while having chooks produce eggs of a quality you basically can't buy

Yeah but I don't want the whole backyard done by chook, I only want the vegie patch done. Also how big is the square? I'd like to give the chooks a bit of room to run around in, hence the decent size yard half the width of the block for them.

Anyhoo, it's a pipe dream I'll only ever see if I get divorced so I might as well shut up shop on the idea.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah but I don't want the whole backyard done by chook, I only want the vegie patch done. Also how big is the square? I'd like to give the chooks a bit of room to run around in, hence the decent size yard half the width of the block for them.

Anyhoo, it's a pipe dream I'll only ever see if I get divorced so I might as well shut up shop on the idea.

man has to have dreams!

mine is an uninterrupted nights sleep.

(i do hope the irony is met)

Last edited:
Are you going to put a slightly elevated floorboard down? Perhaps to the level of the upright timber on the ground? I think all cubby houses need some level of elevation :)

Are you going to put a slightly elevated floorboard down? Perhaps to the level of the upright timber on the ground? I think all cubby houses need some level of elevation :)

it is true!~ any cool cubby needs steps or a ladder to go into..

but, i dont think my abilities lend themselves to any form of floating floor. Itll be the height off the ground that that bottom board is. i guess i can make a mini step up to it for effect

it is true!~ any cool cubby needs steps or a ladder to go into..

but, i dont think my abilities lend themselves to any form of floating floor. Itll be the height off the ground that that bottom board is. i guess i can make a mini step up to it for effect

Step up to get to the door, then step down to get in.

Feels both elevated, and sunken at the same time.

Controversy as moon added a whittling porch to catch the evening Sun, inspired by 3 twisted pieces if broken trellis sticks - against partners wishes...

View attachment 309312

I take it you will hold nightly talks there with Milky Joe. Discuss Camus and the like.

Biggest storm I've been in has just passed through. Bloody terrifying. Winds so strong that my laundry door flew open. No power but no need for lights either, the sky is just awash with lightning. My backyard is now an ice skating rink.

658b1356f2e6e0ba07f757bcdc7a5b71.jpg

Biggest storm I've been in has just passed through. Bloody terrifying. Winds so strong that my laundry door flew open. No power but no need for lights either, the sky is just awash with lightning. My backyard is now an ice skating rink.

658b1356f2e6e0ba07f757bcdc7a5b71.jpg
Amazing! Cannot believe the size of those hailstones.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back