Random Random Chat Thread XL

Remove this Banner Ad

Someone climbs the ladder everything stops, silence.. makes backing out even worse

This isn't a confession thread.. but I never knew how to swim, I squibbed out of lessons as a kid with a serious of well timed ear aches, ailments..and tantrums. Before long I was a teen and terrified of water.

Mix that with Peer pressure and you have a charged environment!

I did a lot of clinging to the side while looking cool... Eventually taught myself sidestroke and breaststroke..enough to get by

Great day doing my first floaters and horseys off the low board. But had to hide my joy.. like I'd been doing it for years ;)

I remember being at the East Keilor Leisure Centre pool one stinking hot day and my brother and I needed to walk over to the canteen to get a couple of icy poles but couldn't get near it as there was all this mad commotion going on near the girls change rooms (the canteen was near the change rooms).
There were girls everywhere hanging around outside it for some reason.

So having given up we both started to march back to where our parents were when all this screaming started happening. We turned around and there's poor old Tina Arena getting mobbed by a large pack of people (Tina was a East Keilor local), one of her sisters swinging & throwing her swimming bag at people to get the away from her. She'd snuck in a side entrance apparently (this was just after the height of her fame from Young Talent Time) but was trapped by the mob and subsequently had to scramble out of there due to the throng of mouth breathers.

It looked horrendous.

You guys got me thinking about my childhood, if anyone knows Mt Gambier, these were my official boundaries. I had plenty to do in a pretty small area though when I look at it, it was 95% footy/cricket/riding/stirring up plovers, 5% pinnies and eating junk from the delis and I wouldn't have hit any other way. I had probably 5 or 6 school mates within the circle too so houses to visit. Unoffically I went farther and wider, sometimes with permission (to the pool on Margaret St), mostly without (down the main drag, up to Potters Pt then down the side of the Valley Lake crater to the bottom etc).

EDIT - the marker isn't where I lived, but pretty damn close.

upload_2017-7-12_11-5-55.png

I remember being at the East Keilor Leisure Centre pool one stinking hot day and my brother and I needed to walk over to the canteen to get a couple of icy poles but couldn't get near it as there was all this mad commotion going on near the girls change rooms (the canteen was near the change rooms).
There were girls everywhere hanging around outside it for some reason.

So having given up we both started to march back to where our parents were when all this screaming started happening. We turned around and there's poor old Tina Arena getting mobbed by a large pack of people (Tina was a East Keilor local), one of her sisters swinging & throwing her swimming bag at people to get the away from her. She'd snuck in a side entrance apparently (this was just after the height of her fame from Young Talent Time) but was trapped by the mob and subsequently had to scramble out of there due to the throng of mouth breathers.

It looked horrendous.

She'd beg for that kind of attention here now...

I think Keilor Heights Primary is the only school left in the area. Keilor South and lincolnville both gone. I finished up there in 1983. That's a scary thought.

Much of my misspent youth was spent at the Centreway and that 'playground' in the centre.

My first tentative forays into music were at jb hifi, both cassette and vinyl. I recall that weird gun shop and I had an aquarium fully set up by the friendly chap at 'the goldfish Bowl'.
Nowadays I get excited because the centreway was designed by Walter Burley Griffin.

I was pretty scared of the EK louts but I never got into a confrontation. My older brother and I used to walk along steeles creek through the tunnels all the way to airport west. I also remember being scared out of my wits when a friend and I stumbled across an extinguished fire and pentacle symbols in the quarry.

Free ranging days.

I think Keilor Heights Primary is the only school left in the area. Keilor South and lincolnville both gone. I finished up there in 1983. That's a scary thought.

Much of my misspent youth was spent at the Centreway and that 'playground' in the centre.

My first tentative forays into music were at jb hifi, both cassette and vinyl. I recall that weird gun shop and I had an aquarium fully set up by the friendly chap at 'the goldfish Bowl'.
Nowadays I get excited because the centreway was designed by Walter Burley Griffin.

I was pretty scared of the EK louts but I never got into a confrontation. My older brother and I used to walk along steeles creek through the tunnels all the way to airport west. I also remember being scared out of my wits when a friend and I stumbled across an extinguished fire and pentacle symbols in the quarry.

Free ranging days.
Mate at least you didn't run into Tiger Snakes at the Quarry like I did twice. I hate snakes.

I completely forgot about the Goldfish Bowl. I loved it in there. It was so surreal.

Free ranging days.

Always thought centreway was a unique experiment, wondered why it wasn't tried in other places, I guess the odd traffic snarl maybe? Makes sense it was a Burley Griffin...

As a form of symmetry I live out hear Ivanhoe/eaglemont now which was also designed by him, and maybe where he lived also

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Always thought centreway was a unique experiment, wondered why it wasn't tried in other places, I guess the odd traffic snarl maybe? Makes sense it was a Burley Griffin...

As a form of symmetry I live out hear Ivanhoe/eaglemont now which was also designed by him, and maybe where he lived also

I enjoy a drive round those parts looking at the Griffin stuff.

I have lived my adulthood in Flemington but just recently moved to Brunswick. I am not over not being on the 'Broadmeadows' line anymore.

When I see nrl interviews I always think they are 20 years behind us in professional behaviour.. chugging beers in the rooms and what not..

Reminds me of a time begore afl was totally 'on brand'

(Ive probably told this before)

I'm in the under 16s, very exited as Essendon are sending some players down to train us...

So we are there, see a car pull up, out pops 2 immaculately dressed ess players in tracksuits ect. Rick Olarenshaw goes to the under 14s, David Grenvold to the 12s... Great, we miss out.

So we start our training, I see a ute pull up behind the goals, out steps this shady looking bloke, unshaven, faded blue overalls, wife beater and blue beanie. Chucks a quick piss on the tree then hurdles the fence.

Did anyone hire a plumber? Is the toilet blocked lads?

Wait.. is that,? Is that Somer?

We get Somer?

Oi lads, bring it in

*Huck spit*

Ok boys, if you wanna make it in the big time, you gotta be dedicated.. you can't just spend all your time down the f***ing pinnies boys..

Ok hop Into some lane work

Fair to say we were underwhelmed. Could you imagine a club sending that nowadays?

You think the NRL interviews are bad. Should see the Daley M Medal (nrl equivalent to our Brownlow)

OMG I've watched it a couple of time and it's cringeworthy.

I can't understand why NRL Clubs don't teach their players media skills

Remove this Banner Ad

Back