Random Discussion - NO POLITICS, NO RELIGION

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
are the health consequences the reason you don't approve, jonesy?
Why, do you need any other reasons..........just pure violence that is condoned by charging $$$ to see it!!! How much more king hitting deaths are needed in society before they ban all this utter garbage...........the "bloody" yanks and their violent society would sell their own mothers to make another dollar and this stuff is not damn sport either!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

Why, do you need any other reasons..........just pure violence that is condoned by charging $$$ to see it!!! How much more king hitting deaths are needed in society before they ban all this utter garbage...........the "bloody" yanks and their violent society would sell their own mothers to make another dollar and this stuff is not damn sport either!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:
Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's not a sport.

Not only. Lack of discipline and a level of violence that isn't necessary on a sports channel.
Don't get me wrong, the fighters need to be elite trainers to be successful but the concept is wrong.
MMA -- Mixed Martial Arts
Martial arts are codified systems and traditions of combat practices, which are practiced for a number of reasons: as self-defense, military and law enforcement applications, mental and spiritual development; as well as entertainment and the preservation of a nation's intangible cultural heritage.
How can any number of Martial Arts be mixed without loosing discipline? How can you introduce a young man/woman into something that has removed so many rules in what is acceptable conduct in any one discipline and expect them to be better for it.
I suffered with control issues as a teenager and the control I learnt through three different disciplines wouldn't be with me if I had have walked into an MMA Gym.
All my personal opinion, but I hold it strongly.
Respect your opinion but I couldn't disagree more strongly. I won't derail the ex-cheese pun thread with any more about this but I felt the need to respond. The vast majority of fighters have a singular discipline background, be that Jiu Jitsu, Wrestling, Kickboxing or a myriad of others. But MMA is the pinnacle of Martial Arts. There are so many more ways to defeat or lose to your opponent. As Joe Rogan would put it, "High level problem solving with dire physical consequences". To say someone lacks discipline because they have more weapons in their arsenal is ridiculous.

Not a sport? Please. If you don't want to see it, don't watch. And to equate the rise of MMA with an increase in street violence is also ridiculous. Violence in the streets has been around long before MMA.

Concussion issues are a major issue for most contact sports, but MMA has very strict rules over how long a fighter must take off. After a knockout, 3 months off is usually mandatory. The bigger issue is full contact, hard sparring, which is common throughout all Martial Arts.

Respect your opinion but I couldn't disagree more strongly. I won't derail the ex-cheese pun thread with any more about this but I felt the need to respond. The vast majority of fighters have a singular discipline background, be that Jiu Jitsu, Wrestling, Kickboxing or a myriad of others. But MMA is the pinnacle of Martial Arts. There are so many more ways to defeat or lose to your opponent. As Joe Rogan would put it, "High level problem solving with dire physical consequences". To say someone lacks discipline because they have more weapons in their arsenal is ridiculous.

Not a sport? Please. If you don't want to see it, don't watch. And to equate the rise of MMA with an increase in street violence is also ridiculous. Violence in the streets has been around long before MMA.

Concussion issues are a major issue for most contact sports, but MMA has very strict rules over how long a fighter must take off. After a knockout, 3 months off is usually mandatory. The bigger issue is full contact, hard sparring, which is common throughout all Martial Arts.
Not at all...it definitely has an effect...

You would have seen in the afl how concussion victims do not always recover from their head traumas, so don`t tell me that getting kicked or punched in the head is something that the human brain can tolerate by having a few months off, because it is a false defence of another "so called sport" and it is just like boxing or that cage street fighting stuff which are all designed to inflict punishment!!! Gee I thought that martial arts had been around since the dawn of time, and I don`t watch any of it, but it does get advertised you know because it makes $$$$$$$$$$$$$ There is enough violence in society without promoting more of it on tv and that is my point.

I liked your post because it was a reasonably well thought out response. A bit company policy though.
I too don’t want derail the derailment thread so I’ll leave it now. Respect for your thoughts, they just aren’t mine.

Not at all...it definitely has an effect...
Prove it.

I don't care for MMA, but nor do I think you can say that without evidence. It's like people trying to link violent videogames with actual shootings. The statistics don't bear that out.

couldn't agree more - kids used to emulate their superheroes by jumping off the garage with a sheet cape and breaking their arm.....now.....

FFS it's dog fighting but substituted with Humans

All other comments aside, this analogy stinks. Dogs do not choose to fight, they can't walk away and they don't have the ability to think long term about the consequences of their actions.
No one forces these men and women to fight it is a choice.

Anyway, nice work on signalling out one poster and calling him an idiot, because he watches a sport that you don't approve of.

How much more king hitting deaths are needed in society before they ban all this utter garbage

Probably 1000s, seeing the the 3 men in their 20s who bashed that 61 and 45 year old on Friday night were only charged with relatively minor assault charges because, you guessed it, the bloke didn't die.

Like the AFL, our court system is a joke.

I could punch you in the street, if you walk away, the likelihood of charges are low, if you die, im looking at 8 years.

Same action, same assault, same risk but a massive difference in outcome.

If we want violent acts to stop then there must be consequences which there are not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All other comments aside, this analogy stinks. Dogs do not choose to fight, they can't walk away and they don't have the ability to think long term about the consequences of their actions.
No one forces these men and women to fight it is a choice.

Anyway, nice work on signalling out one poster and calling him an idiot, because he watches a sport that you don't approve of.
Fair call. Apologies to #katmanblue
Comments were directed more broadly.

Amazes me how many people look at this as a "sport" $1500. FFS it's dog fighting but substituted with Humans and is already the next concussion epidemic. It's a sideshow like WWE but with consequences and idiots that pay $1500 a ticket are keeping a flame lit for more MMA related deaths. We will start to see the real effect this side show has on participants within the next decade.
Its nothing like dog fighting... dogs don't have a say in if they fight. MMA is two willing warriors going to war.

You're probably the type of person who doesn't want the bump in football.

Its nothing like dog fighting... dogs don't have a say in if they fight. MMA is two willing warriors going to war with the express purpose of knocking them unconscious or disabling them until they can no longer compete.

adore but outside their 2 biggies not much there - saw a 90 minute doco and they put out a lot of drek........sorry eskie, sorry numbers
Saw The Small Faces and The Who live way back in the last century, they had enough good songs to keep me happy.

Saw The Small Faces and The Who live way back in the last century, they had enough good songs to keep me happy.

Tin solider, itchy koo Park, lazy Sunday...heaps

Saw. Pi Pi Arnold recently ..

Its nothing like dog fighting... dogs don't have a say in if they fight. MMA is two willing warriors going to war.

Hmmm...

Interesting issues you're conflating into one here. Is it at all the same to contrast a sport in which the general point is to make another person lose consciousness due to physical injury, and another in which the general point is to cause another side to lose the game by kicking more points than they did?

Bumps are a sideshow in football, where as concussion is arguably the main component for combat sports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back