Random Discussion - NO POLITICS, NO RELIGION

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was inevitable that the ex-Archbishop of Melbourne would win his freedom due to a successful appeal. That’s how the justice system works. Ironically you don’t get justice you just get the law.

The organisation that he works for has perverted the course of justice by allowing rampant sex abuse over the Millenia. I’ve no doubt that he’s guilty of crimes. I’m saddened by the fact that he may never be punished for the crimes he has committed. In the end, he and his mates must be shitting themselves because their faith tells them that they will be judged for their crimes (eventually).

It was inevitable that the ex-Archbishop of Melbourne would win his freedom due to a successful appeal. That’s how the justice system works. Ironically you don’t get justice you just get the law.

The organisation that he works for has perverted the course of justice by allowing rampant sex abuse over the Millenia. I’ve no doubt that he’s guilty of crimes. I’m saddened by the fact that he may never be punished for the crimes he has committed. In the end, he and his mates must be shitting themselves because their faith tells them that they will be judged for their crimes (eventually).

He was complicit in covering up in the past at best Robbo . :(

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

History will regard him as a monster who took part in and covered up the sexual abuse of children in his and The Church's care. If George thinks he is forgiven or exonerated, he is a bigger fool than I thought.

I am glad his victims did get a measure of justice in the end, Pell's legacy will forever be smeared and written as a child sex offenders and enabler, and that is nothing his conviction being quashed can take away.

He was complicit in covering up in the past at best Robbo . :(

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
History will regard him as a monster who took part in and covered up the sexual abuse of children in his and The Church's care. If George thinks he is forgiven or exonerated, he is a bigger fool than I thought.

I am glad his victims did get a measure of justice in the end, Pell's legacy will forever be smeared and written as a child sex offenders and enabler, and that is nothing his conviction being quashed can take away.
Of all the days for the paper boy to * up delivery.

The Hun delivered this morning! I heard the screech from my wife as I lay snoozing in my bed. As she walked past a few expletives. Some about the headline. Effin’ Pell’s Hell. And then something about effin’ Andrew Bolt. Then this s**t is going straight into the recycle bin! Mrs Robbo is normally a lady but sometimes she can be potty mouthed.

I managed to lift my head and shout “Don’t do that before you take the crossword section out of the paper. Then you can toss it to the shithouse”.

I didn't realize that cans of spaghetti, even the cheap homebrand stuff were limited to 2 per customer Woolies, maybe a sign next time where the items are shelved would be helpful. Not annoyed at the policy, just the public lack of notification at the store.

Also I have never seen The Sopranos, but JB HI Go were having a sale on TV shows and picked up the blu-ray entire series at a decent price. Hope it's as good as everyone else says it is.

The Federal Government has frozen the wages of federal public servants at the very time many are turning up to work in circumstances that puts their health at risk. This is just a continuation of a pattern of behaviour that saw no pay rises for the bulk of the service from 2013 until 2017. This lot hate the Staff which works on their behalf and who will continue to roll out the big money measures recently passed by the Parliament.

last time I checked, I didn’t have the equipment, mind you it seems a lot of people identify as non-binary/gender neutral these days (which whilst not my cup of tea, is something that one shouldn’t be criticised or judged for, whatever makes one happy, a very good friend of mine is transitioning from female to male in fact, very proud of him and his journey)

The Federal Government has frozen the wages of federal public servants at the very time many are turning up to work in circumstances that puts their health at risk. This is just a continuation of a pattern of behaviour that saw no pay rises for the bulk of the service from 2013 until 2017. This lot hate the Staff which works on their behalf and who will continue to roll out the big money measures recently passed by the Parliament.

There are many public servants doing an amazing job and some as you mentioned are placing themselves selflessly at harms way. We are aware of what our health professionals are doing but I can also imagine the extra burden and stress such as border security, centrelink, ATO, foreign affairs etc are under. But do you honestly think this is a time for pay rises? Maybe for front line health workers and emergency workers (although they have only been pleading for appropriate PPE and isolation to save lives & free resources). It's actually a time for restraint and trying to keep the economy in hibernation so there can be a time the economy can again start to generate the revenue and taxes to pay for these services. I say this in the highest respect to all the selfless people out there. My partner is a nurse, I have a niece who is a doctor working in emergency, brother and sister who are teachers, another niece who works in defence, a sister in law working as pharmacist in a regional hospital, my best friend is a school principal.

If you have full time employment along with your current salary, whether employed private or public, you are saving more as you are not attending events, bars, concerts, doing travel, restaurants etc. You will also be accumulating annual leave, super etc. Meanwhile many others have been asked to close their business through no fault of their own. Others in the arts, sports etc have lost their livelihood. They have been asked to do this to help prevent the spread of the virus. They will in many cases not be accumulating any benefits. When things open up again, will spend weeks, months, years trying to make up for lost ground. Our political leaders and expert advisers have pleaded for people to do the right thing and isolate. This is the correct thing to say. But these people have not lost their livelihood even though they say we are all in it together.

You mentioned no pay rises between 2013-2017. The commodity boom ended in 2012. Further, western nations before the virus were heading all towards zero interest rates. This was unprecedented, especially with low unemployment and rising house and share markets. One reason is that real wage growth has been falling across the board. The economic system was already vulnerable.

Going forward we as nation will have the trifecta; high personal debt, high business debt and now and growing 1 trillion government debt. I'm not sure about state & council debts. It will be tough navigating things going forward. Very intelligent people who are trying to save lives understand this dilemma.

Today they mentioned the university system is in trouble with 20,000 expected to lose their jobs. Young students stranded and vulnerable without casual work. There will be endless hardship stories in the coming weeks, months and years in many sectors.

Unfortunately, I feel, the real economic impact of this virus will start to be realised in the coming weeks. Saving lives comes first, but openly discussing and debating the economic effects on every level of society needs to also occur. Especially, as people who have been forced into isolation, told their industry is not essential, and may also have to deal with the many other realities other than the virus.

I doubt in the short to medium term, we will be seeing many pay rises both private and public.

Stay safe everyone

Not sure where this belongs.... From ABC News:

"There's a new Aboriginal superhero in the DC Universe and she's a deadly Ngarluma hunter from the Pilbara. Codenamed Thylacine, she boasts night vision, heightened senses, lethal combat skills, Batman-like stealth, and a steely suffer-no-fools gaze."

Hope everyone has had a good Easter given everything...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well...we know someone has been indulging in a little anime during their downtime...

Oh god, let's hope somebody doesn't see this.

Head is big enough already...

He already has.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back