Random Random thoughts and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

It'll be on 11:35am tomorrow here in the Netherlands and there's a huge dorm party tonight, so I don't think some of my dorm mates are going to appreciate me getting excited about the game

Hou op jongens en meisjes! Ik moet de radio luisteren!

This is a perfect sport for the iphone gen. Action...wastebook..oh, action...messages...action

The experience is good. ANZ a fail on amenities again. Running out of hot dogs before quarter time...yep, quarter time.

Who wants our first final here? Spotless every day of the week!

Yep. Joined the queue and an announcement was made - none of those massive hotdogs left. Ok, didn't want on e anyway. Then she came out a couple of minutes later and announced no hotdogs at all. Then a few minutes later, no pies, by the time I got three from the front it was no pizza every their - just chips. Chips were all that were left and at $6.20 per cup I realised I shouldn't have left my mortgage papers at home.

At least at Spotless when you're in a queue you can still watch the game.

Then again, I was gone for 20 minutes and only missed 3 and a half minutes of game time so there is that I suppose.

Whats the crowd size like?

If they cant handle this how are they going to treat us IF we play the Swans there.

Not huge.

To be honest they're not generally this bad. They deal with AFL games and SOO and NRL GFs fine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah but NRL is their major tenant especially after the changes are made. Am a bit worried how they will treat an all Sydney Aussie Rules final.

You're overthinking it. They don't give a s**t, they're just there to make money. I've been to half a dozen AFL games here and it's the same rubbish food at rubbish prices with rubbish queues as at the SOO, NRL, cricket, soccer and whatever else I've been here for. This is the first time I've seen them running out of stuff.

I find it both interesting and amusing that the Main Board has turned its focus onto Good Coast. Apart from one post in the game day thread, there's nothing about us at all.

Gold Coast however....

Move them to Tasmania
Merge them with Brisbane
Are they a failure
What's going on

All the phrases used against us for five years "unwanted plant in infertile soil" sort of stuff. No AFL connections/history/market etc etc

History is being re-written (the Coast were always more acceptable than us)

It's good - let somebody else cop it for a bit, but it does go to show just how small the VFL mind really is.

I find it both interesting and amusing that the Main Board has turned its focus onto Good Coast. Apart from one post in the game day thread, there's nothing about us at all.

Gold Coast however....

Move them to Tasmania
Merge them with Brisbane
Are they a failure
What's going on

All the phrases used against us for five years "unwanted plant in infertile soil" sort of stuff. No AFL connections/history/market etc etc

History is being re-written (the Coast were always more acceptable than us)

It's good - let somebody else cop it for a bit, but it does go to show just how small the VFL mind really is.
Amusing. Dont get to see it anymore

And kinda strange since the argument was that we had no history in the game (which is incorrect) and the gold coast do.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Well, as a Queenslander by birth, I take no pleasure in seeing either Brisbane's or Gold Coast's plight. But I agree with your sentiment that the VFL media and many (but not all) AFL fans are small-minded. They just don't see the linkage between aspects related to success.

'GCS & GWS were given too many start-up concessions!' Well that's because it's a tough market to break into and without concessions a club is likely to stagnate and then wither. So when a club like GWS has success (hard fought after 5 years), the concessions were too many. But when a club like GCS doesn't have success (and I'm of a view that luck, in the form of injuries, played some part in that) then there's no thought that maybe GWS' concessions were actually about right and perhaps GCS needed a little more assistance - no it's straight to 'get rid of them'! And God-forbid that we allow academies to flourish and help the non-traditional states prevent player loss back to traditional states and 'home'. Because that might help them break out of their rightful place at the bottom of the ladder!!

Credit to the VFL media and fans, though, they have that 'born to rule' and 'crush the weak' mentality inbred and they do it to their own also - look at their attitude to South Melbourne FC, Fitzroy, St Kilda and Bulldogs: the desire to merge or kill those clubs that don't have success is overwhelming. You'd have to wonder - if you killed off a club that came last or near last repeatedly, how many clubs would still be in the VFL today?

Overwhelmingly, I see the majority of AFL media and fans see it still as the VFL - the Melbourne clubs are the traditional 'owners' and only legitimate members of the league. The WA & SA clubs are tolerated as traditional proponents of the game. Anyone else is just not worthy.:drunk: You see that attitude in the many posts of some BF posters - we can all recognise the usual suspects.

Well, as a Queenslander by birth, I take no pleasure in seeing either Brisbane's or Gold Coast's plight. But I agree with your sentiment that the VFL media and many (but not all) AFL fans are small-minded. They just don't see the linkage between aspects related to success.

'GCS & GWS were given too many start-up concessions!' Well that's because it's a tough market to break into and without concessions a club is likely to stagnate and then wither. So when a club like GWS has success (hard fought after 5 years), the concessions were too many. But when a club like GCS doesn't have success (and I'm of a view that luck, in the form of injuries, played some part in that) then there's no thought that maybe GWS' concessions were actually about right and perhaps GCS needed a little more assistance - no it's straight to 'get rid of them'! And God-forbid that we allow academies to flourish and help the non-traditional states prevent player loss back to traditional states and 'home'. Because that might help them break out of their rightful place at the bottom of the ladder!!

Credit to the VFL media and fans, though, they have that 'born to rule' and 'crush the weak' mentality inbred and they do it to their own also - look at their attitude to South Melbourne FC, Fitzroy, St Kilda and Bulldogs: the desire to merge or kill those clubs that don't have success is overwhelming. You'd have to wonder - if you killed off a club that came last or near last repeatedly, how many clubs would still be in the VFL today?

Overwhelmingly, I see the majority of AFL media and fans see it still as the VFL - the Melbourne clubs are the traditional 'owners' and only legitimate members of the league. The WA & SA clubs are tolerated as traditional proponents of the game. Anyone else is just not worthy.:drunk: You see that attitude in the many posts of some BF posters - we can all recognise the usual suspects.
I meant amusing as in the bf posts.

Not amusing as in their plight.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

I meant amusing as in the bf posts.
Not amusing as in their plight.
Yep, understood that, my comments were of a general comment not directed at your post. No foul.
Probably more a comment that I don't like having the pressure taken off GWS at the expense of another expansion club. Again, nothing against anything GWS BF posters.

Yep, understood that, my comments were of a general comment not directed at your post. No foul.
Probably more a comment that I don't like having the pressure taken off GWS at the expense of another expansion club. Again, nothing against anything GWS BF posters.
I get that, bit like being defended by your sister against bullies.
I' m not gunna focus on BF haters, really who cares? We have great club and I don't need their approval, it's a minority anyway and not fair to tar everyone with that brush.
I can't get a supporter of a losing club being offensive on the game day thread though, it comes across, and is, petty and childish.

Gubby Allens promotion to Collingwood head honcho sucks.
When he said he was leaving, it was to get back to Melbourne family. OK, fine.
Then Craig Cameron gets the job, and will do it from Melbourne. So you're thinking, why couldn't Gubby have just done that?
Now we know, he was poached from us just like SOS.
The only good thing is that Luke Power stays on with a role at the club.
Other good thing is that Dave Matthews is still at the helm. Hope to hell he's not for the poaching.

Gubby Allens promotion to Collingwood head honcho sucks.
When he said he was leaving, it was to get back to Melbourne family. OK, fine.
Then Craig Cameron gets the job, and will do it from Melbourne. So you're thinking, why couldn't Gubby have just done that?
Now we know, he was poached from us just like SOS.
The only good thing is that Luke Power stays on with a role at the club.
Other good thing is that Dave Matthews is still at the helm. Hope to hell he's not for the poaching.

Once SOS left Gubby had the joint role of GM and List manager so once he moved on we separated the roles again with Wayne Campbell the GM based at the club, and Craig Cameron like most List managers based in melb. That said the whole Gubby move smells a bit and it's no wonder Matthew was very hands on with the Treloar trade and making sure we got the right deal for us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back