Autopsy Rd 23 Blues go down fighting while sending off Eddie and Levi

Who played well in our final game for the year vs the Giants?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Played a bit of good footy but some aspects of the game are glaring and the main one is the inability to defend and apply pressure, particularly in the forward line. We are so very easy to exit against it's shocking. There is so much wrong with how we defend the front half of the ground. The midfield is a basket case as well. Teams get a run on against us and we don't have an answer. Lack of tackling and physical pressure is part of it. We rely on being able to play fast but you can't do that all game or you run out of gas, you have to be good at playing slow and we aren't much good at that. There's a bit to work on there but a lot of work needs to be done.

Even Teague has lamented this.

So how to fix it; Deeper F50 entries but you can't always guarantee that, mids pushing forward too far? maybe, personal perhaps? harder to fix quickly, wrong players in the right positions; could fix quickly, players actually staying on the park; hmm, elite skills? would help but unrealistic across the board under constant pressure; system?

If he wants to play a fast game he needs fast players and to your point, can't keep that up all game anyway.

Do our mids in particular over commit on the offensive? let the forwards do their job (we have the talent if they can stay on the park)

Of the current crop Maybe: Martin Harry JSOS
Fog Charlie Honey

Durbin an option with more games, Gov would be great if fit and robust (hmmm), Fish maybe but although I was an advocate for him forward thinking back to the middle (very interrupted run though this year so jury out).

I would have Cripps nowhere near the forward line, not a solid set short and continually cuts into the keys running lanes, middle bench middle bench for him. Guys like Dow and Kennedy no (Kennedy a great mark and set shot but you need zip to defend in the F50)

Surely some system tweaks and some changes in terms of players playing in the right positions and some pre 2021 Richmond esk luck with player availability and we can turn around a dis functional system.

Even Teague has lamented this.

So how to fix it; Deeper F50 entries but you can't always guarantee that, mids pushing forward too far? maybe, personal perhaps? harder to fix quickly, wrong players in the right positions; could fix quickly, players actually staying on the park; hmm, elite skills? would help but unrealistic across the board under constant pressure; system?

If he wants to play a fast game he needs fast players and to your point, can't keep that up all game anyway.

Do our mids in particular over commit on the offensive? let the forwards do their job (we have the talent if they can stay on the park)

Of the current crop Maybe: Martin Harry JSOS
Fog Charlie Honey

Durbin an option with more games, Gov would be great if fit and robust (hmmm), Fish maybe but although I was an advocate for him forward thinking back to the middle (very interrupted run though this year so jury out).

I would have Cripps nowhere near the forward line, not a solid set short and continually cuts into the keys running lanes, middle bench middle bench for him. Guys like Dow and Kennedy no (Kennedy a great mark and set shot but you need zip to defend in the F50)

Surely some system tweaks and some changes in terms of players playing in the right positions and some pre 2021 Richmond esk luck with player availability and we can turn around a dis functional system.

Positioning will make a massive difference, we need to cut off the outlets. If we don't mark it, it's a handball out the back, a kick to the side. We can't defend if it doesn't fall our way because we just ball hunt and we pay no attention to the opposition outlets. Speed and desire to chase will help, like Durdin. Fisher avoids contact and avoids tackling those who attack the footy so not fond of him.

We can fix this but we have to be more mindful about covering their outlets and having speed to transition our positioning from attack to defence and vice versa.

Positioning will make a massive difference, we need to cut off the outlets. If we don't mark it, it's a handball out the back, a kick to the side. We can't defend if it doesn't fall our way because we just ball hunt and we pay no attention to the opposition outlets. Speed and desire to chase will help, like Durdin. Fisher avoids contact and avoids tackling those who attack the footy so not fond of him.

We can fix this but we have to be more mindful about covering their outlets and having speed to transition our positioning from attack to defence and vice versa.

Yeah it's a bit auskick with the ball hunting thing, not enough discipline in terms of when, who and how many to hit the contest. We have too many in tight so not enough on the outside to cover as you say.

Have been disappointed in Fisher as well, thought he would be ideal in the small forward role with his speed, evasiveness and foot skills but even in those few rounds at the start of the year prior to injury he was very underwhelming.

Hopefully he has an uninterrupted run at it and shows something next season, he could also still be pining for a midfield gig.

Yeah it's a bit auskick with the ball hunting thing, not enough discipline in terms of when, who and how many to hit the contest. We have too many in tight so not enough on the outside to cover as you say.

Have been disappointed in Fisher as well, thought he would be ideal in the small forward role with his speed, evasiveness and foot skills but even in those few rounds at the start of the year prior to injury he was very underwhelming.

Hopefully he has an uninterrupted run at it and shows something next season, he could also still be pining for a midfield gig.

Fisher is the epitome of what's wrong at Carlton, heaps of talent, unwilling to do the hard and team things. Allowed to get away with it too long not enough strong leadership pulling him up and therefore poorly developed. He's disappointing. Same boat as SPS, Dow and others. Really big issues with how we play the game.

...and that's all she wrote!

STAT POINT RESULTS
Scores based on the level of contribution surrounding the 9 AFL Fantasy relevant key stats. A system not so kind to key position and deep end players. But still shines the light on both consistent and standout performers. No surprises who won here and comfortably soared above the rest of his team.

2021 Carlton Football Club Score Tracker (FINAL).jpg
2021 Carlton Football Club Score Tally (FINAL).jpg

'MY VOTES' RESULTS
Basically my MVP votes in isolation, though I didn't include much of them here (due to time constraints and personal matters). Something more respectful towards key position and deep end players. But once again, the same guy comes out on top as a clear winner.

2021 Carlton Football Club (MY VOTES Results).jpg

'MY BOTTOM THREE' RESULTS
Each week, I picked the three players, I believed to have either contributed the least or been most responsible for the team's weaknesses. Voted with a completely open mind and no prejudice towards certain players, though at times I may have been a tad unfair, kicking certain players whilst they went down with injury and such. But I did so, believing they would've played a crucial role in improving the team's position or performance in some areas. That, and sometimes it may have been hard to find poor performers, especially in a few of the wins.

2021 Carlton Football Club (MY BOTTOM THREE Results).jpg

Back