State Redbacks

Remove this Banner Ad

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
This is the cycle we go through. We'll pick some fringe players, rejects, has beens and 'has talent but just hasn't put it all together' from other states.

They'll do just as s**t and the cries will come What about recognising the local talent?

We'll go back to that and fail again.

We've even sent an SOS to Zimbabwe, Pakistan and South African captains and it hasn't helped us

Odog

Team Captain
May 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Would be better off replacing South Australia with a CA XI captained by Head. This means that players who would be a walk up start in our brittle line up won’t be sitting on the pine for their respective state. South Australia could still field a futures league team.

This will also strengthen the competition as players won’t have be exposed to redbacks standard cricketers, which can lead to inflated stats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
Batsmen it's hard to pick because its highly unlikely you'll peel someone away who's dominating for there current state.

Despite himself having a woeful season, I could look at Travis Dean from the Vic to get across, or maybe even Hilton Cartwright, as he's career has stalled somewhat.

The problem with recruiting players from other states is for some reason, runs scored on Adelaide Oval are not rated very high in the eyes of Test selectors.

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
Grade final was completed today. You'd hope to see something encouraging, but not to be. Kensington made 193, Ross made 76 of those and he's been tried many time before. Valente took 7 wickets but let's face it, he's just a very ordinary performer at state level. Then out comes Adelaide who compiled a whopping 78. Absolutely pathetic. Opie, who was tried at state level about 5 years ago for little result, took 6 wickets. Promising leggie Pope took 4 wickets but against little or no resistance from the Adelaide bats. The standard of the match was bog ordinary to be honest and did little to have me thinking the grade competition could be considered a nursery for future State cricketers, let alone Test ones.

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
Jake Lehmann won the player of the year :rolleyes:, sums it all up really.

Yep, the problem is they couldn't really give it to anyone else.

Just think, our very best cricketer this year, in the final 4 games, made 111 runs @ 13.88 with a high score of 42. Made 1 century, 4 fifties, and averaged 31.78. He should have been embarrassed to accept the award.

Hazen

Debutant
Nov 24, 2007
Melb
AFL Club
Essendon
Disappointed for Kelvin Smith he promised really to be the next big thing. Doesn't mean he's done by any stretch, but will have to work damn hard to get another look in.

Surely we are looking to bring a bat in from interstate?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disappointed for Kelvin Smith he promised really to be the next big thing. Doesn't mean he's done by any stretch, but will have to work damn hard to get another look in.

Surely we are looking to bring a bat in from interstate?
They should send a godfather offer to Cam White for a season. I'd rather him be a one state player but he has a culture of success surrounding him.

Perty4

Club Legend
Dec 29, 2002
No where you'd find
AFL Club
Gold Coast
They should send a godfather offer to Cam White for a season. I'd rather him be a one state player but he has a culture of success surrounding him.
Very good suggestion. He's a chance to end up at the Strikers as a depth player/cover for internationals, so should look to tie on a state deal for a season.

Very interested to see who you guys approach. If it were me, I'd be on the blower to Gabe Bell, Cam White, Sam Harper and Hilton Cartwright. Roll in with a side like:

McInerney
Weatherald
Cartwright
Head
White
Harper
Carey (+)
Andrews
Winter
Sayers
Bell

And when Carey or Head are on international duties have Lehmann come in and Harper take the gloves. Andrews I thought was solid in your last couple of Shield games, and could turn himself into a handy bowling all rounder if need be.

His back end of the grade season looked quite good. Dominated a couple of finals.

Steep learning curve for him.
I think he makes it as a FC player (unlike Zampa). He needs to get better control though.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
I think he makes it as a FC player (unlike Zampa). He needs to get better control though.
Being out of the underage carnival system will help him

Has overdosed on white ball cricket the last few years. Will get a better balance now.

Being out of the underage carnival system will help him

Has overdosed on white ball cricket the last few years. Will get a better balance now.
Honestly this season I wouldn't worry about FC cricket. I'd play him in FL and Grade and ask him to have an economy rate of under 3.2 through the red ball stuff (OD cricket at grade level hopefully under 5). Just try to land your leggie on and around off stump consistently.

Dec 21, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea, Redbacks, Adelaide United
His back end of the grade season looked quite good. Dominated a couple of finals.

Steep learning curve for him.

He's had a taste of it now and didn't embarrass himself, now he'd have some sort of idea of how hard he has to work and what skills in particular need developing. Wouldn't surprise me if he didn't play that much Shield cricket the next season or two.

Hazen

Debutant
Nov 24, 2007
Melb
AFL Club
Essendon
Wes Agar full contract.....WTF, I've never seen anything to suggest this guy can make it at first class level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back