Opinion Religion BF Style

Remove this Banner Ad

Religion should be one of the easiest things in the world to do remotely, it's about a personal connection and psychic conversations with invisible magic beings in the sky/mountains/sea.

In NZ a bunch of churches just immediately went on to Youtube when this broke out. Just so easy to do it feels absurd to even discuss anything else.

Religion should be one of the easiest things in the world to do remotely, it's about a personal connection and psychic conversations with invisible magic beings in the sky/mountains/sea.

In NZ a bunch of churches just immediately went on to Youtube when this broke out. Just so easy to do it feels absurd to even discuss anything else.
Religion is about COMMUNITY. There is no obligation to be religious, but at least let's make an effort to understand what we are talking about.

Religion is about COMMUNITY. There is no obligation to be religious, but at least let's make an effort to understand what we are talking about.

Everything is about community though. Religious communities are formed by words and psychic links with beings that in most cases exist hundreds if not thousands of kilometers away. It's something that's so easy to do online.

Let me put it this way, what's to stop a majority of people being able to sit down and watching a mass/sermon etc on youtube with their family, take in the message, pick up the phone and call other people in their group, then think about that message and if needed have a psychic conversation with the relevant entity?

If the argument is for poorer areas where they don't have stable internet connections then that's valid, but for the majority of places in the first world nowadays it just seems like there should be no excuses for not taking it online.

And communities, like football, sports, book clubs etc. have had to stop.
So can religious gatherings, it doesn't deserve dispensation. It's not tax.

Ahhhh Yes religion is mind poison but Sky and Fox News are worth basing your entire life around. this is where we're at 2020

Ahhhh Yes religion is mind poison but Sky and Fox News are worth basing your entire life around. this is where we're at 2020
You literally quoted 3 inextricably connected sources of information.

Everything is about community though. Religious communities are formed by words and psychic links with beings that in most cases exist hundreds if not thousands of kilometers away. It's something that's so easy to do online.

Let me put it this way, what's to stop a majority of people being able to sit down and watching a mass/sermon etc on youtube with their family, take in the message, pick up the phone and call other people in their group, then think about that message and if needed have a psychic conversation with the relevant entity?

If the argument is for poorer areas where they don't have stable internet connections then that's valid, but for the majority of places in the first world nowadays it just seems like there should be no excuses for not taking it online.
Look. I get it. My wife doesn't understand why I go to church either, and she married me. I don't want to convince anyone, in the same way I don't want to convince her.

Religion wasn't invented recently. It is as old as mankind. For some reason, human beings as far back as History goes, has found a need to connect and reconnect (religion, from 'religare' - reconnect) to an order that is not of our making.

This need is experienced personally, obviously; but it comes with an understanding that is not restricted to an individual. We are connected to the world and to one another.

Now, in a moment of distress and sacrifice as this one we are all facing, many people experience a disconnection. This brings anxiety, depression, etc. Religion plays an important role in dealing with this issues.

Again, these so-called fairy-tales were "made up" by the first men. It is something absolutely attached to humanity as such.

You may not recognize it as something relevant to you. That's fine. But denying its importance? Refusing to concede that it is an essential service? That is beyond my grasp.

If you could explain it to me, show me what I am missing, I would appreciate it a lot.

Religion wasn't invented recently. It is as old as mankind. For some reason, human beings as far back as History goes, has found a need to connect and reconnect (religion, from 'religare' - reconnect) to an order that is not of our making.

“History” goes back about 6,000 years, anatomically modern humans go back about 200,000 years. There is no possible basis upon which to claim religion is as old as mankind. It’s very unlikely to be older than written language, which on all evidence ain’t that old.

Look. I get it. My wife doesn't understand why I go to church either, and she married me. I don't want to convince anyone, in the same way I don't want to convince her.

This need is experienced personally, obviously; but it comes with an understanding that is not restricted to an individual. We are connected to the world and to one another.

Now, in a moment of distress and sacrifice as this one we are all facing, many people experience a disconnection. This brings anxiety, depression, etc. Religion plays an important role in dealing with this issues.

Again, these so-called fairy-tales were "made up" by the first men. It is something absolutely attached to humanity as such.

You may not recognize it as something relevant to you. That's fine. But denying its importance? Refusing to concede that it is an essential service? That is beyond my grasp.

If you could explain it to me, show me what I am missing, I would appreciate it a lot.

You might have misunderstood my post.

I'm not criticising anybody for going to church or any other temple in normal conditions.

I'm saying that it's a service that should in most places be extremely easy to take online. Put it this way, there is no reason you need to be 1.5m close to Zeus to be able to pray to him. There's no reason you need a Rabbi in front of you to be able to hear him.

And when we need to reduce social contact, these are the first things that should be moved online.

“History” goes back about 6,000 years, anatomically modern humans go back about 200,000 years. There is no possible basis upon which to claim religion is as old as mankind. It’s very unlikely to be older than written language, which on all evidence ain’t that old.

Would have thought even the dreamtime would have gone back a lot longer than 6000 years.

Sumerian and Babylonian history which are the starting points for modern civilization (in the west) is virtually intertwined with their religion. Same with Egypt, Persia and Greece who came after. Since the dawn of modern civilization, religion has absolutely had the biggest on just about any culture you can think of.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sumerian and Babylonian history which are the starting points for modern civilization (in the west) is virtually intertwined with their religion. Same with Egypt, Persia and Greece who came after. Since the dawn of modern civilization, religion has absolutely had the biggest on just about any culture you can think of.

I'm fine with that fine tuning, just so long as we don't confuse "modern civilization" with "mankind".

Thank you for teaching me something cool today - it was almost a religious experience ;)

I'm fine with that fine tuning, just so long as we don't confuse "modern civilization" with "mankind".

Depending on what you consider religion, I would say even mankind. As said before, Aboriginals are believed to have the longest continuous culture in existence and stuff like the Rainbow Serpent is (or was) pretty integral to their beliefs and I would classify that as religion. Even the paintings in France in caves are believed to have religious significance.

Religion is very good at giving people an explanation for things they can't explain and it's fair to say people back then who saw stuff like rain, thunder and drought back as divine intervention probably had a religious belief or two.

After I stuck up for the Catholic religion...

I have to ask a question about your pope....well no I am going to make a direct statement about your pope and the Vatican...which you may find offensive but it's a statement I need to be challenged.

The pope and Vatican are the very definition of false idols described in the Bible.

Thank you Gremio - such a wise, gracious and tolerant post

Oh I get it.

Rules of thumb, shortcuts, heuristics, ritual, tales that bind... these things are extremely bloody helpful and important. And they kept us mammoth eaters fed and multiplying and relatively free of incest related issues ... in most societies (to my knowledge) so here we all are. Without so much as a scrap of science for most of our species’ time on the planet. We’re the lot who followed the stories most successfully... self selected for it!

The approach still works for many useful human purposes, just like Newtonian mechanics does.

Saying that religion never cured a single plague doesn’t take away the importance of the comfort it provides or of the importance of a church or mosque as, err... social media ... a channel with huge reach for disseminating information, as well as the old stories. It just puts it in its place of priorities in terms of *prevention and cures*.

On iPhone using recycled electrons, via BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back