Delisted Rhys Mathieson (2015-2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

Six draftees set to have an immediate impact at their clubs in 2016

RHYS MATHIESON (Brisbane)

Ball magnet? Tick.
Consistent? Tick.
Hungry? Tick.

Mathieson’s junior footy record is as prolific as it is enlightening. He averaged 25 disposals in the TAC Cup last season, 12 of which were contested.

Brisbane needs players that want to hunt the football and this is Mathieson’s forte. Taken at pick No. 39, Mathieson will feature early on in Brisbane’s 2016 campaign — and much earlier than Brisbane’s prized No. 2 recruit Josh Schache, who still needs time to mature into a key forward.

61e71b5e8a144758d315d9d6de4282a8

Yeah a bit early to lock Schache in for early games, but just as premature to rule him out. Nothing about his size or fitness so far that would put a line through at this stage. Might come down to how well Walker & Freeman go.

But would be great to see Rhys get a fairly early taste.

Very different players who play very different roles. where injuries hit will probably have the largest affect.

I tend to think keays could play a role where we have less depth hence he'd probably be the favourite to debut first

Brisbane Lions recruit Rhys Mathieson uses draft slide as motivation

BRISBANE midfielder Rhys Mathieson says his draft snubbing will act as a motivator through the 2016 season.

The combative on-baller looked a first-round pick after claiming his second all-Australian jumper in 2015, but concerns over Mathieson’s fitness saw him slide to pick No. 39.

“I don’t think about it too much now and it’s just a number at the end of the day and I’m pleased to be drafted. But, I want to show that I’m a bit better than what I got picked at,” he told Fox Sports.

“It does motivate me ... I’ll put out there what I can this year and show them why I shouldn’t have slipped.”

317274-8a4dca72-bd96-11e5-997c-b9b199a184a0.jpg

Checking In With Our Draftees

Rhys Mathieson: Trains with an intensity that is hard to match. Whether it's running or doing skills and contest work, throws his body around even when he appears exhausted. Like Keays, has a very strong body for a teenager.

Pre-Season Stand Outs

A couple of draftees have also turned heads. Ben Keays is right alongside Bell and Bastinac, while Rhys Mathieson has impressed with his bull-at-a-gate style in any contested training.

Liked the look of: 12 eye-catching players from week one of NAB Challenge

Rhys Mathieson (Brisbane Lions)
When he slid to No.39 in the draft, Mathieson looked a steal, and he looks even more so after his debut. The Geelong product was fearless in tight quarters against the Suns, wanting the ball more than most and winning six free kicks in his 13 disposals. While the Lions will welcome back Tom Rockliff, Daniel Rich, Dayne Beams, Pearce Hanley, Dayne Zorko and Ryan Bastinac to their midfield for the season proper, Mathieson has proved he will easily slot in at senior level when given the chance.

I really liked the look of Matho on the weekend. 13 disposals was alot less then what it seemed at the ground. Won plenty of free kicks. He could become the next joel selwood in alot of ways. Knows where the footy is and knows how to milk a few. Him and christensen could get along quite well on the forward half.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definitely loves a high free kick. Knows how to milk them but at the same time the umpires are always going to reward those who are going in low and hard at the footy on a regular basis. Will play senior games on a regular basis this year. Will need to perform well in the next couple of NAB Cup games to ensure he gets a spot in the Round 1 team though.

Mathieson's Debut A Success

19-year-old Rhys Mathieson took the first step in his AFL journey when he lined up for the Lions in their opening NAB Challenge clash with the Gold Coast Suns at Burpengary.

Impressing over the pre-season with his competitiveness, Mathieson was fearless around the contest on Sunday.

He had 13 disposals (seven of those were contested) and kicked a superb banana goal from the forward pocket.

I loved the part in bold!!

On fellow draftee and close friend Darcy Parish who joined the Bombers in November, Mathieson said the Geelong Falcon products still catch up regularly and both are hopeful of meeting each other when the Lions clash with Essendon in Round 18.

“I don’t know if it’s a rivalry or who’s going to play the most games but hopefully we’re going to be both playing against each other when the time comes.

“We’re going to beat them by 100 points,” he quipped.
:D:D:D:D

Rhys Lightning's Not Afraid To 'Rattle' Opponents!

19-year-old Rhys Mathieson has had a textbook start to his AFL career.

The Geelong Falcons product who joined the Lions in the November through the National Draft took the first step in his AFL journey when he lined up for the Lions in their opening NAB Challenge clash with the Gold Coast Suns at Burpengary in February.

He was fearless around the contest with 13 disposals (seven of those were contested) and kicked a magnificent banana goal from the forward pocket, finishing with an even better goal celebration.

“The first NAB Cup game I just wanted to bring a bit of energy to the boys,” Mathieson told Wayne Carey and Cameron Ling on the AFL’s ‘First Bounce’.

“The folks were into me over the boundary line, they said I should’ve gone and played soccer for ducking my head.

“Once I snagged that one I just turned to them and fed them a little bit. It was just a bit of fun.

“(I was) just enjoying myself and having a bit of fun out there.”

Wow. Just listened to him on the first bounce. Kid has charisma and a lot of swagger in his talk and is super confidemt for a 19 year old. Really impressed. Could be a future captain. Lets just hope thats with us.

If he has a broken cheekbone cameron may be gone. Must be half serious as a kid of his demeanor could probably push throw a fractured cheekbone.

The Lions Recovery Report

Rhys Mathieson had surgery last night to repair his fractured right cheekbone after a receiving a high bump in the third quarter of the Brisbane Lions’ match against GWS on Sunday.

Mathieson left the field in the hands of medical staff. GWS forward Jeremy Cameron was reported and cited by the Match Review Panel yesterday. He’ll face the AFL Tribunal tonight.

19-year-old Mathieson is expected to miss 4-6 weeks with the injury.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back