Richmond are in town

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
I heard on the ABC that Richmond CEO Brendon Gale is in Hobart & is having discussions (& Lunch) with TCA chairman Tony Harrison. I would like to be a fly on the wall for that one!
I know The Launy mayor Van Zetten & alderman McKendrick are besides themselves with rage over that one (infact the whole Launy mafia are upset with this:eek:), but hey, its a free country. Also Launy has been getting a free lunch, at the taxpayers expense, over having Hawthorn for the last few years. Surely if having Hawthorn in Launy is good for Tasmania, having Richmond play at Bellerive would also be good for Tasmania.
I also hear that North Melbourne may also be interested in playing games at BRO. Wow just imagine going over to watch North Melbn play GW Sydney, oh joy!!:rolleyes:
We really want our own team & then we would get to watch all the AFL teams, especially the Pies:D
Go the new AFL Teams Perth & Tasmania:D:D

I also hear that North Melbourne may also be interested in playing games at BRO. Wow just imagine going over to watch North Melbn play GW Sydney, oh joy!!:rolleyes:
According to the age the three clubs involved in the tentative offer are being offered three million to play 4 games at Bellerive. Arocca reportedly has said no official offers have been made to the club.

That's OK we may as well put a "drop in" cricket wicket at York Park then and truly establish Launceston as Tasmania's sporting capital.
Belreive is a joke as a ground compared to York Park.

That's OK we may as well put a "drop in" cricket wicket at York Park then and truly establish Launceston as Tasmania's sporting capital.

So what, the AFL are only interested in money, ie TV revenues & at least 1/2 decent crowds. Otherwise why would they play at a s**t box like Manuka in 'Cambra'. Sure BRO is set up for cricket, but so is the SCG. Remember, if footy in Launy is good for Tassie, then so is footy in 'obart.:D

I wouldn't have said the differences are that noticeable. One good thing about footy is the opportunity to play at different venues and surfaces, experiencing the uniqueness of each one. Having played on both, they are both great grounds.

unless there's been a major policy shift by the government that they haven't told anyone about, its total beat up and not going to happen. without the state government, there's no one to under write the game, and the state government have said they won't do it.

i doubt the bellerive city council are toing to give their ground away as well as under write the matches.

even as a parochial northerner, i don't have a problem with it. hawthorn, and afl footy are well enough entrenched at york park by now that another 4 games or so in hobart is nothing but a positive for the footy loving public of tasmania.

has to be richmond though... the north melbourne suggestion isn't an option. the people of tassie are just as apathetic about the roos as canberra, sydney, and the gold coast. and melbourne for that matter.

unless there's been a major policy shift by the government that they haven't told anyone about, its total beat up and not going to happen. without the state government, there's no one to under write the game, and the state government have said they won't do it.

i doubt the bellerive city council are toing to give their ground away as well as under write the matches.

If the CCC, TCA and RFC all want it to happen, I'm not sure the state gov can do anything about it...???

If the CCC, TCA and RFC all want it to happen, I'm not sure the state gov can do anything about it...???
:thumbsu:

Agree it'd have to be Richmond (not just 'cos I barrack for them either) but in the past Norf' have really struggled for crowds down here, even when they had those great sides of the '90's they never drew big crowds.
I was at a game when Carey, Martyn etc was playing St Kilda at NH, perfect day, good squads for both teams - 7,700 turned up for a pre-season cup game that was televised.
Would've been around '98 I think.

:thumbsu:

Agree it'd have to be Richmond (not just 'cos I barrack for them either) but in the past Norf' have really struggled for crowds down here, even when they had those great sides of the '90's they never drew big crowds.
I was at a game when Carey, Martyn etc was playing St Kilda at NH, perfect day, good squads for both teams - 7,700 turned up for a pre-season cup game that was televised.
Would've been around '98 I think.

Thats would be right arond 97/98 that game, I was there the crowd was not great my Lingering memory was of the guys in the take away van on Ryde Street puffing away on spliff’s all-day :p.
Gee North Melb have towed there caravan everywhere.

Hey the more games in Tassie the better IMO. And also let them play some shield games and one days, 20/20 in Launceston as well at Aurora and not the NTCA Ground

Hey the more games in Tassie the better IMO. And also let them play some shield games and one days, 20/20 in Launceston as well at Aurora and not the NTCA Ground

Agreed, the NTCA ground is a dump. They wont play at AURORA,Why not play at Devonport. It was always a good cricket ground. Surely it wouldnt take much to upgrade the changerooms & the wicket block.

Agreed, the NTCA ground is a dump. They wont play at AURORA,Why not play at Devonport. It was always a good cricket ground. Surely it wouldnt take much to upgrade the changerooms & the wicket block.

The wicket at Devonport is putrid and it has a shocking rep with cricket tas!

no, i wouldnt have thought so - but someone has to pay for it. even if the team got free ground usage, signage etc i doubt theyd go for it. i cant imagine 15k at bellerive oval puts money in the coffers. i dont know who will hand over 400k per game to pay for it

having said that... is the afl any kind of signatory to a deal with the tas govt? maybe the afl has agreed not to schedule games elsewhere

no, i wouldnt have thought so - but someone has to pay for it. even if the team got free ground usage, signage etc i doubt theyd go for it. i cant imagine 15k at bellerive oval puts money in the coffers. i dont know who will hand over 400k per game to pay for it

having said that... is the afl any kind of signatory to a deal with the tas govt? maybe the afl has agreed not to schedule games elsewhere

Many people I know are ok with Hawthorn in Launy. Its been good for local business. BUT a lot of people question the huge amount paid for sponsorship to Hawthorn on top of the amounts paid for games. Maybe that money should be paid to whoever plays at BRO. After all it is a business/ tourism stimulus that comes from having AFL games. Its also good for our politicians::eek: so that proves that it will happen, sooner rather than later :rolleyes:
Really, if we ever get our own team we will need to play games north & south to maximise membership & support. It would struggle to work otherwise IMHO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

its easy to say what the state could or should do - but they wont. they have a deal in place and a publicly stated policy to play tassie afl matches at york park.

so whilst i think the more games in tassie the better, this whole discussion is probably moot for lack of anyone with the money and desire to bring a team to hobart

Remove this Banner Ad

Back