Summer RIO 2016 - Athletics (Track & Road events) 12th to 20th Aug

Remove this Banner Ad

Cp3C3XhVYAAtDVD.jpg:large

Just before the Road Runner goes, 'beep,beep' and leaves poor old Wylie Coyote in his dust.

upload_2016-8-15_10-22-38.jpeg

What a win by Bolt! He looked to have it won by around the 60 metre mark.

It was a very strong final time wise, with only 0.07 separating 2nd from 6th.

Gatlin got his excellent start. For all the vitriol directed at him, you have to respect the way Gatlin conducts himself.

He now has the full set of medals at 100m, gold in 2004, silver here and bronze in 2012.

De Grasse came home strong to pip Blake who may have found it a bit tricky in the outside lane.

Simbine looked a real chance for bronze and ran a terrific race for 9.95. Great night for South Africa!

Meite ran a great race for a 9.96, PB and national record. Ivory Coast have had an excellent 100 metres meet with Ta Lou just missing bronze on the photo finish in the women's, having the same time as Fraser-Pryce at 10.86.

Last edited:

Brilliant run by Bolt, although his semi >>> final. Could have easily gone sub 9.8 in the semi.

GOAT.

What a win by Bolt! He looked to have it won by around the 60 metre mark.

To win three straight gold medals is incredible, his composure under the bright lights is amazing!

It was a very strong final time wise, with only 0.07 separating 2nd from 6th.

Gatlin got his excellent start. It must be tough knowing the fastest of all time is coming after you you in the final 50 metres.

For all the vitriol directed at him, you have to respect the way Gatlin conducts himself.

He now has the full set of medals at 100m, gold in 2004, silver here and bronze in 2012.

De Grasse came home strong to pip Blake who may have found it a bit tricky in the outside lane.

Simbine looked a real chance for bronze and ran a terrific race for 9.95. Great night for South Africa.

Meite ran a great race for a 9.96, PB and national record. Ivory Coast have had an excellent 100 metres meet with Ta Lou just missing bronze on the photo finish in the women's, having the same time as Fraser-Pryce at 10.86.

Vicaut and Brommell on the inside lanes coming 7th and 8th at 10.04 is still quality speed.

Though Bolt gets the deserved plaudits and adulation, the race in it's entirety was excellent!

It was a good race, I feel like Beijing and London have it covered though.

Brilliant run by Bolt, although his semi >>> final. Could have easily gone sub 9.8 in the semi.

GOAT.
He did say in the post race interview with the Aussie reporter that the semi and final turn around was pretty quick, so that may of had an impact.

It was a good race, I feel like Beijing and London have it covered though.

I agree. The winning times in Beijing and London were way better which make for a more exciting race.

I think as a contest though, it was a pretty even race and probably more even than those ones.

What a great night of track and field. First some videos for permanent memory.

Lucky Lane 8 for van the man. Van Niekerk was so unlucky with the scheduling. It should have been all his night with this effort. WOW is all I said, just like Tamysn and Bruce!

Bruce - Usain's Gonna do it - He's a genius - THE GREATEST

Bruce thinks its all ( ie both races) SPECIAL. So does Jimmy boy.

100m in slow mo

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Today was shades of that Tuesday I think it was a Tuesday, in Atlanta in 1996 when Michael Johnson going for the first time ever 200/400 double does the first leg the 400m in Olympic record and only just shy of Butch Renyolds' decade long WR, has the adulation of everyone but then King Carl comes out and 45 minutes later wins his 4th consecutive long jump and joins Al Oerter as the only other athletics person or any other sports man/woman to do 4 in a row at the Olympics. Johson was pissed off and ran the 200m a few days later angry to make sure he would get the attention.

Van Niekerk was bloody brilliant today and it should have been his night of nights but Bolt upset his time in the sun by winning his 3rd in a row. Now van Niekerk wont spit the dummy like MJ but his greatness needs to be acknowledged.

Nike must be spewing! looked like he is wearing Puma spikes?
forgive me if there is a story behind this

Van Niekerk was bloody brilliant today and it should have been his night of nights but Bolt upset his time in the sun by winning his 3rd in a row. Now van Niekerk wont spit the dummy like MJ but his greatness needs to be acknowledged.
Bolt has the name. But nobody who watched the 400m is forgetting Niekerk.

What an unbelievable meet its been so far on the track, and there is plenty to come. 12 events down and still 35 to go. Ok the track races so far.

Women's races

10,000m
The first 13 did a PB because of the pace that the leaders and Ayana set and running a world record. There were 5 National records set inc Ayana World record/continental record/national record in that. See the results at
https://www.iaaf.org/competitions/o.../women/10000-metres/final/result#resultheader

100m
The Queen is dead long live the Queen. Elaine Thompson is the future of 100m. Unbelievable acceleration between 40-60m and then holds it. At 24 will hit her peak in Tokyo. Bowie ran well and Shelly Ann Fraser-Pryce joins Ottey as the only 3 time medalist for 100m. 2 gold and 1 bronze isn't as good as Bolt but still better than any other female has done in the 100m. 7 out of the 8 ran under 11 seconds - I thinks thats' a first.
https://www.iaaf.org/competitions/o...ts/women/100-metres/final/result#resultheader

Marathon
Not overly exciting but it was competitive for a long way, the yanks did as well as they have for nearly 30 years and the Aussie girls ran some decent times and good places 18 and 22 for Mily Clark and Jess Trengove. But it was dam hot so no doubt that had an impact. But finally Kenya after dominating all the big marathons around the world has a winner.

Men's

10,000m
Mo was brilliant, fell over and won. Joins the greats to do the 10,000 double Paavo Nurmi,Emil Zatopek Lasee Viren, Haile Gebrselassie and Kenenisa Bekele. Question is can he win the 5,000m and do the double double like Viren. I find it staggering to believe he is the first British track and field athlete to win 3 individual golds. When he went down I wasnt sure if he could win, but within a lap there was no longer any doubt, despite Tanui of Kenya and the Ethiopians throwing everything at him. If he wins the 5,000 there will be no doubt he becomes an immortal. Even if he wins Silver, the joins all Paavo Nurmi, Emil Zatopek and Kenenisa Bekele as having double gold in 10,000 and gold silver in the 5,000.

400m
At 24 Wayde van Niekerk is a freak that like Bolt could be rewriting the history books for a decade. He made the 2008 Olympic and multiple world champ in Merritt and 2012 Olympic champ ex world champ James look average. He is a freak of nature to have been able to break 10 seconds for 100, 20 for 200 and he almost broke 43 for 400. It will probably take a big meet for that to happen. But he did something I've never seen from lane 8. He reckons it allowed him to focus on what he did and not be destracted. Might have to run in lane 8 to break the WR

https://www.iaaf.org/competitions/o...ults/men/400-metres/final/result#resultheader

100m
Bolt - what more can you say? Not much. Its the hardest 100m I've seen him run when fit. Last years 100m at the world champs in Bejing was tighter at 0.01 from Gatlin but he wasnt 100% fit. The 200m looks enticing to challenge his WR. 0.155 is a good reaction time for Bolt.
https://www.iaaf.org/competitions/o...ults/men/100-metres/final/result#resultheader

So 2 WR at the Olympics and its only day 3 of competition. Last few Olympics 1 or 2 is pretty standard so this is fast pace so far.

What an unbelievable meet its been so far on the track, and there is plenty to come. 12 events down and still 35 to go. Ok the track races so far.

Women's races

10,000m
The first 13 did a PB because of the pace that the leaders and Ayana set and running a world record. There were 5 National records set inc Ayana World record/continental record/national record in that. See the results at
https://www.iaaf.org/competitions/o.../women/10000-metres/final/result#resultheader

100m
The Queen is dead long live the Queen. Elaine Thompson is the future of 100m. Unbelievable acceleration between 40-60m and then holds it. At 24 will hit her peak in Tokyo. Bowie ran well and Shelly Ann Fraser-Pryce joins Ottey as the only 3 time medalist for 100m. 2 gold and 1 bronze isn't as good as Bolt but still better than any other female has done in the 100m. 7 out of the 8 ran under 11 seconds - I thinks thats' a first.
https://www.iaaf.org/competitions/o...ts/women/100-metres/final/result#resultheader

Marathon
Not overly exciting but it was competitive for a long way, the yanks did as well as they have for nearly 30 years and the Aussie girls ran some decent times and good places 18 and 22 for Mily Clark and Jess Trengove. But it was dam hot so no doubt that had an impact. But finally Kenya after dominating all the big marathons around the world has a winner.

Men's

10,000m
Mo was brilliant, fell over and won. Joins the greats to do the 10,000 double Paavo Nurmi,Emil Zatopek Lasee Viren, Haile Gebrselassie and Kenenisa Bekele. Question is can he win the 5,000m and do the double double like Viren. I find it staggering to believe he is the first British track and field athlete to win 3 individual golds. When he went down I wasnt sure if he could win, but within a lap there was no longer any doubt, despite Tanui of Kenya and the Ethiopians throwing everything at him. If he wins the 5,000 there will be no doubt he becomes an immortal. Even if he wins Silver, the joins all Paavo Nurmi, Emil Zatopek and Kenenisa Bekele as having double gold in 10,000 and gold silver in the 5,000.

400m
At 24 Wayde van Niekerk is a freak that like Bolt could be rewriting the history books for a decade. He made the 2008 Olympic and multiple world champ in Merritt and 2012 Olympic champ ex world champ James look average. He is a freak of nature to have been able to break 10 seconds for 100, 20 for 200 and he almost broke 43 for 400. It will probably take a big meet for that to happen. But he did something I've never seen from lane 8. He reckons it allowed him to focus on what he did and not be destracted. Might have to run in lane 8 to break the WR

https://www.iaaf.org/competitions/o...ults/men/400-metres/final/result#resultheader

100m
Bolt - what more can you say? Not much. Its the hardest 100m I've seen him run when fit. Last years 100m at the world champs in Bejing was tighter at 0.01 from Gatlin but he wasnt 100% fit. The 200m looks enticing to challenge his WR. 0.155 is a good reaction time for Bolt.
https://www.iaaf.org/competitions/o...ults/men/100-metres/final/result#resultheader

So 2 WR at the Olympics and its only day 3 of competition. Last few Olympics 1 or 2 is pretty standard so this is fast pace so far.

Good summary.. For me, track and field is my favourite part of the Olympics. . So far we have seen some amazing performances especially today with 100m and 400m.

Mo's win was just unbelievable especially after his fall.

Tonight Oz time 3,000m steeplechase for women, no Ruskies so very open. 2 Aussies in final Hill and La Caze

Tomorrow morning Rudisha goes in the 800m for men and Allyson Felix in the 400m for women.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back