Spearman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2017
expatriated in East Asia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ohio State Buckeyes
Probably going to surprise some people that he was still around this long, but he's gone. My mind was blown by the Pogues in the early 80s and I ended up with all their LPs and his solo work as well. He was a very good songwriter. He and they turned me into a lifelong fan of the punk/folk mix.

Shane was one of the greatest songwriters of his generation and led a very troubled life. I also hope that more people start to delve into The Pogues discography, Fairytale of New York is a beautiful song but for me it would maybe make the top ten best songs by The Pogues.

I remember finding a Nips record in the mid 1980's and bringing it back home to play. I didn't like it but my housemate who used to have tapes of obscure punk knew it was Shane McGowan's previous band and that they were also called "Nipple Erectors".

Anyway, I had to listen to some tracks to remember which record I had. I didn't keep...I think my mate said he'd have it. It was "Gabrielle" / "Vengeance". I really hated the lyrics on "Vengeance" and the A-side was only so-so.

This is better I think:

Last edited:
Probably going to surprise some people that he was still around this long, but he's gone. My mind was blown by the Pogues in the early 80s and I ended up with all their LPs and his solo work as well. He was a very good songwriter. He and they turned me into a lifelong fan of the punk/folk mix.

I was at The Pogues (annual) Christmas show at the RDS in Dublin in about 2007 and Sinead O'Connor joined them onstage during the encore and performed the Kirsty MacColl parts of Fairytale Of New York. One of my favourite rock gig moments of all time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back