Game Day RND 12 - 🏈 Carlton v Melbourne Game Day 🏈

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

First quarter aside, this has probably been the best we have played in weeks (if you discount lack of scoreboard punch)

Our backline has found some much needed form, which I find greatly encouraging.

Sigh.

If there’s any ounce of positivity in this it’s downright depressing.

We’ve been absolute s**t. The fact that we’ve been less s**t than previous weeks shouldn’t make it encouraging.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

See...

Here's the thing, Fish. We're losing the game. He takes this shot, there's 6 minutes to go, and things are pretty much hopeless. You can't spoil the ball, you can't do much to impact things. I genuinely do not know how much of a s**t you give.

In that moment, you had a choice: you could do what you did, fail to make contact, fail to get hand to ball, let the opposition mark the ball unopposed. You could instead have chosen to breach the rules; you could've chosen to collect your opponent, on a sliding scale between clumziness and injury. You do not need to genuinely hurt them, but the potential was there in the moment. Do it right, you make them too hurt to kick well without giving away the 50: do it wrong, and you do not make contact at all or give away the 50.

I'd like to make the observation that you chose the second worst option. You opted not to make contact. You chose to miss your opponent, and because of that you failed and they took a shot on goal. That they missed that shot is no limitation on your culpability for that shot.

In a microcosm, that moment - in which you chose not to make contact to try and disrupt the mark - is the current incarnation of Carlton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back