Preview Rnd 4 - Carlton v North Friday 7th April 4.20PM @ Marvel

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
8DB2B897-C9D7-4233-8F43-06A586A41FB5.jpeg

Sorry peeps, I didn't have time to do a proper (or on time) preview this week.

Form

We have been solid so far in 2023, without everything clicking into gear properly.

North have been better than expected, and are 2-1 but also lost to the wooden spoon faves Hawthorn last week. Oooh, that felt good. Let me say that again.... wooden spoon faves Hawthorn. They also beat WCE in round 1 who are not much chop. Had an impressive win over Freo tho.

Changes

Freo welcome LDU and Simpkin back, which will make a HUGE diff to their side. Those two are easily their best two mids, with LDU in spectacular form over the last 12 months. They lose Logue to suspension, who is a huge loss given Nth are VERY light on key defenders.

We lose Acres, who is a big loss given we are weak in the wings.

Style

North play like Carlton in 2022. Tough, contested footy. Strong on clearances, contested possessions, high tackle numbers, low kick-to-handball ratio and they struggle with uncontested footy. They have pretty low inside 50 numbers, which suggests among other things a poor quality midfield. I mean I think that is all correct, but I've based it off looking at some stats, because let's be honest no one actually watches North play.

Hawks beat North by playing a running, keepings-off game. I think we should do the same.

Key match ups

Sheezel
is running amok at HBF. He sets them up from there, send someone to him. Newman/Doc/Saad? Sneaking suspicion he spends some time down fwd, where he played mercurial footy as a junior.
Larkey is their main threat - Weiters is a good match up despite Larkey kicking 872 goals on him a couple of years back
LDU - send Ed to him? Or Crippa head-to-head?
Harry & Charlie - should be too strong for their backline which consists of Aiden Corr and six medium defenders. No joke there, I mean that literally. I think they have one defender >190cm. Wayne Hughes, eat your heart out!!!
Midfield - We should be too comfortably too strong and too deep here. An on-fire LDU, talented Simpkin and ageing Cunnington are their best three mids. After that there's a bunch of kids who look promising, but are years away from being dominant plus a couple of ok-to-solid journeymen.

Verdict

We will be too strong for North in the midfield and IF we play our cards right, our tall fwds should have a day out.

Blues by a modest 91 points.

Last edited by a moderator:

lets end the lob sub...he looked exhausted...can only assume it is due to lack of run in games being sub each week

He played three quarters in the VFL in addition to his one in the AFL team last week.

The LOB sub experiment has to end. If Cuners got through today, I’d think about giving him a crack at that job. Speed and skill might be a difference maker.

Norf got found out today, a day out is in order.

Replacing Owies pressure game is important. Honey?

I don't disagree but it's not because he didn't get run last week. It's only one game that he subbed and didn't get make up time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Note: I only caught part of the VFL game.

In: Honey, Kennedy, Carroll, Kemp (if Acres inj)

Out: Owies (injured), Fisher, O'Brien, Acres (if injured)

FB: Newman - Young - Weitering
HB: Docherty - McGovern - Saad
C: Cerra - Hewett - Hollands
HF: Motlop - McKay - Durdin
FF: Silvagni - C Curnow - Honey
RU: De Koning - Cripps - E Curnow
IC: Pittonet - Cowan - Kennedy - Kemp
SU: Carroll

If Acres is in then Kemp out, Acres to wing, Cerra to followers, Ed to IC

T
I don't disagree but it's not because he didn't get run last week. It's only one game that he subbed and didn't get make up timef
I don't disagree but it's not because he didn't get run last week. It's only one game that he subbed and didn't get make up time.
For mine, it’s because he doesn’t impact. Had a really nice inside 50 entry in the 4th, other than that, he is a bit deer in the headlights.

For mine, it’s because he doesn’t impact. Had a really nice inside 50 entry in the 4th, other than that, he is a bit deer in the headlights.

Agree. A sub either has to have instant impact or be accurate in what they do. Sadly, he was neither today. Put him back into the VFL for a stint and build his confidence back up.

Ins: Cincotta, Kennedy

Outs: Owies, Cowan

Cowan is going to be a great player, but 3 straight games and a 6 day break I’d give him a rest. The urge will be there with Walsh, but hope we hold him back for one more week and play him the week after.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back