Remove this Banner Ad

Lions1024

Club Legend
Jun 30, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy
With Deans all but gone, I have a feeling that the power brokers at the NZRU will be feeling pretty happy and relieved that they stuck with Graham Henry after the 07 WC. Pretty much all of their concerns regarding Deans were spot on. When we look back onto the Deans era, i think we'll come up with 4 key defining moments that pretty much sum up his whole tenure

1. The three amigos.

His failure to control Cooper,Beale and JOC post 2010 will be the lasting legacy of is coaching tenure IMO. He asked the world from three young kids, and got it for a while before egos, fame and their brands entered the fray; post-2010 they have all been a disaster on and off the field. Ironically, Cooper has been the most well behaved in recent times. His mis management of all three was plainly obvious. His fast tracking of Beale to return after numerous indiscretions was the wrong decision, the selection of JOC at fly half in the face of extremely poor form and little experience is the definition of blind faith, and the shunting of Cooper from the national side headline some of his howlers.

2. Ben MacCalman and RWC2011.

The decision to only take one fetcher to the RWC was a complete disaster. Destroyed at the breakdown and scrum against Ireland, we never recovered and we paid the price of a fundamental error from the coach. MacCalman, the player picked instead of a fetcher, struggled during the whole tournament and anonymous against Ireland. Decision to start Alexander at tighthead was an error repeated again against the Lions. It wasn't as if Alexander was in good form, he was far and away the most penalised prop that particular year in Super rugby playing as a tighthead. Inability to react to obvious selection mistakes became a hallmark of Deans (McCabe, Giteau, Barnes and Horne).

3. Samoa and Matt Giteau.

Matt Giteau, like Cooper, was backed in heavily by Deans. He was immediately made the starting fly half and was the cornerstone of the team up until 2010. Although out of form and played out of position, Giteau was still playing okay rugby, certainly better than some of the players picked ahead of him. His RWC omission was seen to be a direct response to the implosion against Samoa. I have a feeling that the next coach might be looking at bringing Giteau back, his form for Toulon is hard to ignore and with our lack of fly half options, Lilo at 10 and Giteau at 12 might very well be our RWC combo.

4. 2010

2010 proves that Deans can certainly coach. Australia were world beaters that year and had New Zealand and South Africa shitting their pants, playing attractive fast paced rugby. Beale was undoubtedly the worlds best fullback, Drew Mitchell and JOC had claims as the best wingers in the world and Genia/Cooper was running the whole ship. With a forward pack consisting of Ma'afu, Chisholm and Faingaa, a lot of us were expecting the Wallabies to get over the line and become a dominant as soon as reinforcements arrived; but it never happened. Richard Graham, the architect of the backline, left for the Force soon after and Deans reverted to a more conservative style. Richard Graham won coaching gigs at the Force and then the Reds largely on the back of this one year.

The one conclusion that I can gather is that Deans simply cannot manage players. While I have no doubts that Deans is a very capable technical coach, he simply doesn't have the ability to manage the egos of individuals players. The Wallabies have improved beyond sight technically, but far too often we have been dependant on the individual brilliance of a select few players. The past 4 RWC winning coaches have been managers rather than coaches and with McKenzie and White the two contenders, Australia will be in very safe and capable hands.

On McKenzie and White, i think Eddie Jones has come up with the best solution. Have Jake White take the reigns for 2 years taking us to the 2015 World Cup while McKenzie sorts out the Rebels before ascending to the Wallabies head coaching position taking us to the 2019 World Cup. Jake White knows the preparations required to win the WC and will be better prepared for the short transition period between now and the WC.

Good post, agree with most of what you've written.

On McKenzie and White, i think Eddie Jones has come up with the best solution. Have Jake White take the reigns for 2 years taking us to the 2015 World Cup while McKenzie sorts out the Rebels before ascending to the Wallabies head coaching position taking us to the 2019 World Cup. Jake White knows the preparations required to win the WC and will be better prepared for the short transition period between now and the WC.

Don't agree with this though. I really think that we should have an Australian coach. If there are no outstanding Australian candidates and there is a much better candidate from elsewhere then I'm happy to go for a foreign coach, but right now there is very little between White and McKenzie.

White is a world cup winning coach but if the Wallabies started playing that style of rugby it would be really bad for the game here - even if the Wallabies were successful with it. Perhaps White can adapt, and the Brumbies have played some good rugby at times, but mostly they've been conservative - winning from rock solid defence and a good kicking game. I think the Wallabies have to play a more expansive style of rugby for the sport to have any chance of getting back to the levels of popularity it had 10 years ago. I think McKenzie understands this, whereas White is much happier to win ugly.

One other thing in McKenzie's favour is his great record coaching against NZ sides in the last couple of years. Winning back the Bledisloe would be almost as big as winning a world cup at this point in time. It'd been 10 years!! In fact I'd bet if you offered wallabies fans the deal of a Bledisloe win this year and a loss in every other test match in the rugby championship that 95% would probably take it.

Good post.

Deans did make some selection errors, some big ones (and while I didn't love Gits, he was treated poorly), but his biggest mistake was putting all of his trust in Cooper, Beale and O'Connor; it was a gamble, and it failed.

They were our best options, but he made the mistake of treating them like our ONLY options - they were too immature and too self absorbed to handle that.

The last fortnight is the perfect example - after the 4am bullshit, Beale and JoC should've been dropped from the starting side, at the very minimum, and dropped altogether if he was serious.

Cooper said some stupid things last year, yet the bridges were meant to be mended, and he's pulled his head in - why is he not an option, when those two dickheads (and, lets be honest, they've largely played like s**t across the three Tests) are?

I never thought Deans would tolerate that kind of behavior, yet he's repeatedly let them get away with it - and now, he'll lose his job as a result.

The problem is, will the ARU stick with Robbie Deans, with an view towards the 2015 Rugby World Cup in England, or sack Deans and allow either Jake White or Ewen McKenzie to take over, with limited time to get ready because the Wallabies have the Rugby Championship coming up.

Interesting post. I agree with pretty much all of it.

I prefer to look at the future because the Deans part of it has been done to death and will continue on. Probably deservedly but I'm bored of it.

Of the guys who played during this series, if a new coach is picked, who will be jettisoned? Who will be kept and relied upon?

So the guys that I can remember who played in the Lions series were:

Benn Robinson, Ben Alexander, Sekope Kepu, James Slipper, Stephen Moore, Saia Faingaa, Kane Douglas, James Horwill, Rob Simmons, Ben Mowen, Michael Hooper, George Smith, Liam Gill, Wycliff Palu, Ben McCalman, Will Genia, Nick Phipps, James O'Connor, Christian Leali'ifano, Pat McCabe, Berrick Barnes, Adam Ashley-Cooper, Digby Ioane, Israel Folau, Joseph Tomane, Kurtley Beale, Jesse Mogg

Then throw in Scott Higginbotham, Tatafu Polota-Nau, Hugh McMeniman, David Pocock, Quade Cooper and many others.

Who played their way out? Who played their way in?

Israel Folau is an obvious one and of course the ARU should do everything they can to keep him but I'll nominate Ben Mowen as the guy to who have played his way into the regular rotation. Jesse Mogg too showed in the final test that he probably has what it takes to play Test football too. Worth another chance.

It really depends on the coach who gets the gig.

If McKenzie gets appointed I expect Cooper to be drafted straight back in at 10 and expect a more defensive fullback who can defend in the 10 channel; I expect JOC. Backline will be more or less the same: Genia Cooper Mogg Lilo AAC Folau JOC. Slipper will probably unsurp Alexander at tighthead and with the new scrum laws coming in I expect Robinson to be left out altogether and Alexander in at loosehead. Wouldn't be surprised to see someone like Ben Daley become a more permanent fixture in the squad due to the new laws. Mowen is a guaranteed started regardless of coach and Higginbotham will probably get first shot at no.8.

If Jake White get appointed I expect a backline of Genia Toomua Speight Lilo AAC Folau Mogg. Forward pack should remain more or less the same, maybe Kimlin will push Higginbotham for the no.8 position.

The big winner in all this might very well be Hugh Pyle. He would be my pick to partner Horwill in the second row. Deans wasn't a big fan, but both White and McKenzie have sung his praises. I expect Godwin to be given a shot at inside centre sooner rather than later, but Lilo's kicking makes him a certainty at inside centre. Speight should replace Ioane.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In other good news, McGahan leaving for the Rebels means that Link gets to choose his assistants. Expect him to bring Jim McKayto the fold and I wouldn't be surprised if he brought back Matt Taylor from Scotland.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back