Robert Whittaker

Remove this Banner Ad

I recently interviewed UFC #6 ranked middleweight Rob Whittaker after his knockout win over Derek Brunson in Australia. Feel free to have a listen for those that are interested.

So where to from here for The Reaper? Who does he face next? Is this guy championship material?

Saw this when you posted it a week ago and meant to give it a listen then. I enjoyed the interview and particularly liked your last question of money fights vs title aspirations. Nice to hear Rob is all about the title.

As for how far he can go, it's hard to say. He's the youngest guy in the top 10 by a long way (unless Kelvin is in there now since his dismantling of Kennedy) and his game appears to be getting better every time we see him. I think he'd be a very stern test for Bisping right now as their styles are similar, but would struggle with the other guys in the top 5 (Romero, Jacare, Weidman and Rockhold). One thing I had concerns about with regards to this move up to 185 was whether his power would translate and it's nice to see that it has. As the older guys start to fade in a few years, I could definitely see him either in a title fight or holding the belt.

I'd love to see him fight Mousasi next prior to jumping in against the sharks in the top 5. Weidman seems to be the only guy without a dance partner (assuming they go ahead with the Jacare/Rockhold rematch still) and he's recently been talking about moving to 205. Beating a dangerous, well rounded guy like Mousasi would IMO, prove that he's ready for a title eliminator against one of the other top 5 guys.

The guy's an absolute legend. I'd even like to see how he handles a Romero or Weidman. They could be fun stand up fights for him that could easily go either way with just 1 punch. Its the Rockhold and Jacare fights that'd make me nervous for him with the Jiu Jitsu skills they possess and use more regularly, as of recent times anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back