Preview Round 10 2024 – GWS Giants vs Western Bulldogs, Saturday May 18, 4.35pm AEST, Engie Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
The Giants?

I'm a Doggies fan.

We hate you guys!

So said a young girl who saw me in my Giants kit on the way to Marvel Stadium yesterday. She must be drooling like a Bulldog at the thought of playing us after her team thrashed Richmond by fifteen goals.

As for the loss to Essendon, we just don't have an answer at the moment when a good opponent ramps up the pressure. It's a massive concern.

Kingsley has a week to figure out what to do when the tsunami becomes a ripple. Let's have a look at how he might change the line-up:

B – Perryman, Taylor, Idun
HB - Whitfield, Buckley, Ash
C - Rowston, Kelly, Callaghan
HF - Daniels, Cadman, Bedford
F - Hogan, Greene, Jones
FOL - Coniglio, Briggs, Green

IC - XOH, Himmelberg, Ward, Riccardi

We need to bring XOH back into the side. He always has a go and never stops trying. He played well in the VFL at BISP yesterday, where it rained for almost the entire match. He’s versatile and can play up forward if we need him.

We also need some reinforcement in the midfield. Rowston also had a good game in the VFL and I think has earned a return to seniors.

Cadman is a worry. He had almost no impact when he was on against the Bombers, apart from dropping a sitter i50 which became a goal for them instead. He’d probably be dropped if there was someone else available. It’s even harder with Callum Brown out for another two games. We just have to tough it out.

So, XOH and Rowston in for Haynes and Stone.

Kingsley’s comments in the presser were illuminating. We need to tone down our expectations for the time being. We all thought we’d continue on from where we finished last year. Knocking off an out-of-form Collingwood was not a true indication of where we sit.

The Dogs are unpredictable, with a similar percentage to ours. If we lose this, I think we’ll struggle. But I don't think we'll lose.

And it’s good to be back home.

My changes are pretty simple. Stone and Thomas out, XOH and Peatling in.

XOH plays Bedford's role. Any time you're thinking of putting Bedford around the stoppage you put XOH there instead. Instantly our stoppage game is improved. Bedford plays the full forward role vacated by Stone. Peatling replaces Thomas as sub giving us some much needed grunt at the end of the match where we seem to be dying off.

B: Taylor, Idun, Perryman
HB: Ash, Buckley, Whitfield
C: Haynes, Kelly, Callaghan
HF: Daniels, Cadman, XOH
F: Greene, Hogan, Bedford
R: Briggs, Green, Cogs
INT: Himmelberg, Riccardi, Jones, Ward
Sub: Peatling

Something to make us more optimistic about the game against the Mutts, is that we have won our last 5 matches at home - something we haven’t undertaken since 2018. Since our record 126 point win against Essendon at the last home and away match last year, we have beaten Collingwood, North, St Kilda and Brisbane at our Giants and Manuka home grounds. Beat the Bulldogs this weekend, and it will be the (equal) third best consecutive home wins streak in our history!

OK, you beautiful orange people! Help me out here.

If someone buys a cheap GA ticket, can they grab a seat at the middle parts IF there are empty seats available after the first bounce?

Also, is there a way to buy a seat in the stands where members seat if it's available?

At this stage it's the 1-2 combo of English and Darcy that concerns me the most.

Briggs is not going to have a moment's rest and we don't have the height down back to cope if the kicks come in high to the D50.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if there's a huge blowout in the frees for the Bulldogs in the D50 (i.e. holding/chopping the arms/blocking as our defenders try to cope).

Last edited:
At this stage it's the 1-2 combo of English and Darcy that concerns me the most.

Briggs is not going to have a moment's rest and we don't have the height down back to cope if the kicks come in high to the D50.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if there's a huge blowout in the frees for the Bulldogs in the D50 (i.e. the umpires are cheating fks and hate us)

Tidied that up for you

Game day info from the club. It will be Jesse’s 150th AFL game and members can also sign a special tshirt that will be later presented to Ward in honour of his 300th AFL game. In addition to the normal promotional activities, it is good value as a family of two adults and 2 kids can attend for $54. There’s also a post match function to meet the players after the match.

POST-MATCH FUNCTION
Don’t forget to join us back at the VAILO Community Centre from 7:30pm after the game for our post-match members and fans function. Join us for your opportunity to meet some GIANTS players, get involved in our peoples press conference and win some awesome prizes!

Tidied that up for you
Prefer you highlight the changes if you want to make adjustments to my posts.

Bad form otherwise.

Thanks.

Apart from that, I agree with you. Was going to say something similar but I think we all know the ride the Dogs get.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Round.10

B: C.Idun, S.Taylor, H.Perryman

HB: L.Whitfield, J.Buckley, N.Haynes

C: X.O'Halloran, T.Green, J.Peatling

HF: B.Daniels, A.Cadman, T.Bedford

F: T.Greene - C, J.Hogan, H.Thomas

FOLL: K.Briggs, F.Callaghan, S.Coniglio

I/C: D.Jones, C.Ward, H.Himmelberg, J.Riccardi, C.Stone

EMG: H.Rowston, J.Wehr, M.Gruzewski

Possible changes :

Peatling (IN) Kelly (OUT)
O'Halloran (IN) Ash (OUT)

Gruzewski on standby for Riccardi

Reserves will have a few out with possibly Fahey added to EMERG list but we should know early enough on Saturday with the boys playing in the morning at Blacktown

Possible changes :

Peatling (IN) Kelly (OUT)
O'Halloran (IN) Ash (OUT)

Agree with your team selection Callums-Guns. Nice post BTW.

I'd make one extra change:
Rowston (IN) Stone (OUT) but will play sub.

Expecting it to be a bit damp - up to 3mm of rain at this stage, so hopefully there's less skylarking around as if it's a dry track since the handball and kicking skills have been subpar of late.

Well that's not ideal. But Fahey has been playing well and Ash hasn't exactly been setting the world on fire so that might not be much of a downgrade at half back. XOH in for Kelly will hopefully give us a bit of desperation in the contest.

I'd still like to see Stone dropped as honestly, I don't think I can bear watching him play again. Just does not have it and brings nothing to the team. Peatling comes back in.

B: Taylor, Idun, Perryman
HB: Fahey, Buckley, Whitfield
C: Haynes, XOH, Callaghan
HF: Daniels, Cadman, Bedford
F: Greene, Hogan, Jones
R: Briggs, Green, Cogs
INT: Himmelberg, Riccardi, Ward, Thomas, Peatling

Not quite sure who would be best as sub between Ward, Thomas and Peatling.

Wow, 6 weeks each.

Anyway, I think/hope Fahey comes in. Plays a similar game to Ash. Can be pretty creative with ball in hand. I haven’t loved Ash to be honest, thought he was going to develop into a slightly more explosive player but that’s maybe another discussion.

I liked Rowston on the weekend. Deserves another shot.

XO is an obvious in. So maybe the two forced changes and Stone out, although I don’t like bringing in youngsters for only one game. Feel like they need some adjustment time.

I’d be dropping Bedford but that won’t happen. Guy needs a rocket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back