Game Day Round 10, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Some Lions' jumpers out today in the sea of league jumpers invading the city for their magic round hopefully.

GO LIONS!!!!!

Broncs have played so that should help. Not sure there are that many diehard league fans anymore. Most people I know just love the Broncs, me included, and can’t stand much else about the NRL. Me included.

Broncs have played so that should help. Not sure there are that many diehard league fans anymore. Most people I know just love the Broncs, me included, and can’t stand much else about the NRL. Me included.
Cowboys tonight so plenty of support for them
Having said that my cowboy supporter mate is with us tonight
Using the first of his three game membership games
Hope it’s a good one

I was talking to a group of 'fans' on their way to Suncorp on the train on my way home yesterday ... they were from all different clubs based on their shirts but the two I was mainly talking to a) didn't know who their own team was playing (except that it wasn't the broncos) and b) were mainly going for the booze (they were heading to a corporate box with freee drinks included) ... I did see a LOT of jumpers from various RL teams on the way through the Queens St Mall etc

Continuing on the Rugby League chat in our game day thread:eek:... I watched a fair bit of the Women's State of Origin game the other night and the quality of it surprised me, translated very well to TV.

I have also watched snippets of NRLW over the years and albeit the games are totally different the NRLW is miles ahead of the AFLW as far as at least comparable skill levels to the men's game, AFLW looks like a completely different sport and not in a good way as compared to the men.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Continuing on the Rugby League chat in our game day thread:eek:... I watched a fair bit of the Women's State of Origin game the other night and the quality of it surprised me, translated very well to TV.

I have also watched snippets of NRLW over the years and albeit the games are totally different the NRLW is miles ahead of the AFLW as far as at least comparable skill levels to the men's game, AFLW looks like a completely different sport and not in a good way as compared to the men.
Let’s not forget though that the SOOW the other night was the best 30 or so players.
No doubt if you were to bring the best 44 AFLW players together for a one off game it would be a pretty decent standard.
And let’s be honest there really isn’t a lot of skill required to play Rugby League.

Let’s not forget though that the SOOW the other night was the best 30 or so players.
No doubt if you were to bring the best 44 AFLW players together for a one off game it would be a pretty decent standard.
And let’s be honest there really isn’t a lot of skill required to play Rugby League.
That is why I mentioned that I have watched the regular NRLW season... and it is quite good, the NRL introduced the women's game much better than the AFL IMO, they started with only 4 teams for 3 years and then expanded gradually to now 10 teams.

The AFL expanded their competition far too rapidly resulting in a less appealing product, the talent that was there was spread too thinly which resulted in verging on laughable skill levels from way too many players.

Not as much overall athletic skill as AFL I agree but there is still skill involved IMO.

Just had a look at the tickets still available.
More available than the Suns game so Tigers supporters not in their usual numbers.
Then we have Magic Round that may have some of our supporters attending. At least the Broncos have played.

However, i think there will be more turning up in the Cricket Club Members and Corporates than the Suns game.
Can we break the 30K again up against Magic Round and our inconsistent performances.
Suns 30,285 & Cats 30,429.

That is why I mentioned that I have watched the regular NRLW season... and it is quite good, the NRL introduced the women's game much better than the AFL IMO, they started with only 4 teams for 3 years and then expanded gradually to now 10 teams.

The AFL expanded their competition far too rapidly resulting in a less appealing product, the talent that was there was spread too thinly which resulted in verging on laughable skill levels from way too many players.

Not as much overall athletic skill as AFL I agree but there is still skill involved IMO.

I disagree immensely about their being less skill, it is just different skillsets but some of the tackling and passing in the NRL is next level compared to the AFL. Even some of the kicking is amazing. Take Trai Fuller's try just last week as an example of Madden's pass to Piakura last night.

The issue with the NRL is that the rules that have been introduced in recent years have made it almost unwatchable because the ref has too much influence with no accountability and it has destroyed the fabric of the game along with the ridiculous six again rule which goes against the entire purpose of the game.

Add to that, acting, ducking and going down like a shot - ala what ruins soccer - the current game is not what it should be.

The AFL is so much more professionally run it is actually embarrassing for NRL administration.

Leadership can come in many forms. Joe Daniher is not in our leadership group, never has been as far as I can recall, but his effort and defensive intent has really set the tone for those around him in the last couple of weeks. It's been evident both in the forward line and particularly noticeable in the centre square, where he's actually competed at centre bounces and then followed up at ground level.

He still sometimes looks like a giraffe in amongst a herd of gazelles, but something has clicked where he's playing like he actually gives a stuff at the moment. And especially while he and the forward line are struggling to (a) generate opportunities and (b) convert them, these things really are non-negotiable.

So I'll be keeping a close eye on this tonight, as I think it'll be a bit of a barometer for the broader performance of the team. If our mindset mirrors a lot of what I've seen on this forum during the week, we'll go in complacent and it could be a long and potentially embarrassing night. But if he's able to set the right tone early on and maintain that, he'll bring others along with him and I think we'll see a strong performance from the team.

Time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back