Review Round 10, 2024 vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

We beat them and we're still pissed. The Hawks are s**t and tonight was a huge missed opportunity against a bottom 4, crap side.

Hinkley has maintained his perfect record though in day/twilight games against interstate bottom 10 teams at AO.

Hinkley is now 37-0 in those games.
Give him another 37 months!

When Hawthorn play well, they are very good. They've beaten St Kilda and Bulldogs the last 2 weeks, ran Collingwood to 5 points. Their pressure was great, they won contested ball and they spread and hit loose players like the Dogs at their best, and some of their ball movement was superb (granted a few crow throws in the mix). The weather helped their stocky small set up, it was like they brought Launceston conditions with them.

We were at sixes and sevens in defence, BZT as a sub was bizarre and some of Mitchell's coaching moves befuddled Hinkley. Took us a half to work out their kick in strategy.

They thoroughly outplayed us for much of the match but I will ask the question, when was the last time you saw Adelaide go 10-2 behind in the free kick count at Adelaide Oval?

Anyway, it was good to win a match that looked long gone, how often do we do that? But I can't say it was enjoyable to watch.

Am surprised we are now 4th thanks to West Coast cleaning up Melbourne. Not all games are safe.

Pretty sure it was John 'The Future' Butcher up in the stands watching on with Rozee and some of the other players.

Well done campaigners.

Amazing come back. Not sure how it happened, but it did.

Gritty wins like that galvanise a group creating resilience and belief.

We are toast now. Good luck for rest of season and finals. Kudos, amazing come back.
We ****ing suck man, you'll be laughing at us in September soon enough as long as the bald man is in charge. Good luck to you guys for the rest of the season

We ******* suck man, you'll be laughing at us in September soon enough as long as the bald man is in charge. Good luck to you guys for the rest of the season

To be 41 points down and keep battling and then kick two goals in 23 seconds to win. Not sure you suck that much.

When it needed to be won your players stood up and got it done.

Good teams win those close ones.

You have to love the escape, if not how we got there.

The thing that needs to be mentioned though was that Hawthorn’s time wasting in the last really needed to be penalised. Too often they would take the ball with no intention of getting rid of it. That said, had it been penalised, they might have stopped doing it. So, maybe the umps ended up doing is a favour.

Also, Ginnivan may be a good player but the way he throws his head back in every single tackle shits me.
Even the commentators were calling him out over it

After suffering through most of the game it came to my conclusion that Sam Mitchell would be a better fit as coach of Port Adelaide than our present muppet Ken Hinkley.
On game day what does Hinkley do besides waving his arms around and sharing his love after the game - look at me, look at me!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When Hawthorn play well, they are very good. They've beaten St Kilda and Bulldogs the last 2 weeks, ran Collingwood to 5 points. Their pressure was great, they won contested ball and they spread and hit loose players like the Dogs at their best, and some of their ball movement was superb (granted a few crow throws in the mix). The weather helped their stocky small set up, it was like they brought Launceston conditions with them.

We were at sixes and sevens in defence, BZT as a sub was bizarre and some of Mitchell's coaching moves befuddled Hinkley. Took us a half to work out their kick in strategy.

They thoroughly outplayed us for much of the match but I will ask the question, when was the last time you saw Adelaide go 10-2 behind in the free kick count at Adelaide Oval?

Anyway, it was good to win a match that looked long gone, how often do we do that? But I can't say it was enjoyable to watch.

Am surprised we are now 4th thanks to West Coast cleaning up Melbourne. Not all games are safe.

Scott was right us being an emotional side and we still seem to rely on individual moments by individuals.

I went to the Hawks Pies game and they were bloody close then. Their skills blew me away, pretty slick and will be a good very good side soon enough.

I just can’t see us performing when it will count later in the year.

I certainly had my words rammed down my throat.

The much maligned DBJ kicks two of the last three goals to win it.

Looking at the replay and Junior Rioli booted one from a free but the umpires missed a couple of others and we should have had a 50 metre as Zerk-Thatcher was hit after he disposed of the ball.

I don't think I have ever seen a finish like that although I do remember a game against West Adelaide at Richmond Oval in the late 1980s when one side kicked two or three in time on in the last quarter to win. Not sure if we won or not but I remember Danny Hughes was moved to CHF.

Well done on the win but we were fairly ordinary for most of that game and I do not take much confidence from it.

That last 30 seconds was the first time for a couple years I've shown any passion during a game. Sack Hinkley taken all the fun out of being a Port supporter.
You can never not be absolutely pumped in the moment at those sorts of finishes. Doesn't change the 99.99% of the game that I just didn't want to be there and found embarrassing to watch.

Last edited:
MG looks to be struggling, often hard after acl to keep it going. Might need a freshen up, by small break.
I agree there are a couple of tired looking players, but they are only two games to go before the bye and I’m not sure who is there to bring in, given the Magpies had the bye this week.

Has there been a change to the HTB rule? Seems no-one even attempts to rid of it in a tackle anymore.. That last tackle from Mcentee was HTB everyday of the week.

Has there been a change to the HTB rule? Seems no-one even attempts to rid of it in a tackle anymore.. That last tackle from Mcentee was HTB everyday of the week.
The instant reaction to drop the ball whenever tackled is the worse thing in AFL. Umpires seem not to pay that HTB anymore.

Hawthorn perfected it yesterday, but all teams do it.

Oh and Marshall took a contested grab today at one point, been a long time since he's done that, and played ok generally, so that was a positive.
I remember that, because he then kicked it to McEntee - I remarked to the guys I was sitting with that the tides must be turning because not only has Marshall taken a contested grab, but even McEntee has gotten a possession. Blue moon type stuff.

It was clearly holding the ball. If you don't have prior opportunity all you need to do is attempt to dispose of the ball, which Amon did. But he had prior opportunity so his failed attempt to kick should've been penalised. We were a DBJ soccer away from being robbed Crows style.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back