Status
Not open for further replies.

moncon

Benchwarmer
Apr 18, 2012
Taverne Monte Cristo
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We're all pretty familiar on this board with the situation at the Lions, so let's have a look at this week's opponent, the Richmond Tigers.

Some points:

1/ Ninety percent probability we'll win the frees. The Tigers have won the free kick count only twice in their last 20 games.

2/ They haven't beaten us at the Gabba since 2019 which is 1/ half a decade ago, and 2/ when their side was at the peak of its period of success, a period which sadly for them can't be called a dynasty because they didn't threepeat. And this Richmond side is not as good as the 2019 version (see below).

3/ Firstly, we've got five ACLs. Having said that, Richmond's season has been cruelled by injuries to key players: first-choice midfield Prestia, Taranto, & Hopper have only played a game and a half together this season. Lynch is weeks away. Balta, Graham, Ross, Gibcus...there've been several rounds when they've had 10 or 12 of their top 18 out. Some are coming back but overall it's been a "bordelle de merde", as they say in French.

4/ Their defence has 14 flags between them and has given up an average 98 ppg in 2024. It looks like it's one season too many for Grimes. Balta's likely to play forward, who knows. But you'd have to say that Grimes, Broad, Short, Vlaustin, & Rioli is still a handy defence on paper, and new guy Browne has a good kick on him. Rebound 50's out of defence is the only stat where Richmond is above competition average.

Their midfield has lots of flags too of course, but Pickett's been awful this season. Bolton's had his moments, but not many and not consistently. Nobody is Dusty 2017-2020, not even Dustin Martin. Baker's beaten up and having to play out of position. Graham, Taranto, Hopper all injured. If McInerney goes alright against Nankervis - who is horribly out of form - then our mids have a field day. Probably will anyway.

Compared with their defence and midfield, without Lynch there are far fewer flags in their forwards, and it shows. Their scoring is down, their scoring shots are down, and their ratio of F50 entries to scores is 17th in the league.

Currently their tallest forward is 6-gamer Lefau at 195cm. For some reason Yze won't pick Ryan. New guy Campbell goes alright. Rioli Jr did his ankle this past weekend.

They've played 4 of the current top 8. It would have been five, but Carlton, laughably, managed to win themselves out of the eight on percentage.

Round zero Richmond got done by the Suns (Dimma's first game blah blah), then had some close ones - lost to Carlton by 5, lost to Port by 30 (but Port kicked 4 goals in the last ten minutes), beat top-of-the-ladder Sydney (their only win, & Sydney's only loss so far), lost to the Saints by 7 points (at Norwood Oval), and then the wheels fell off. They got spanked away at West Coast lol, and lost by 7 goals on Anzac Eve to Melbourne (who we beat easily in round five this season when we smashed them at the G and made them look ordinary).

Richmond were awful against Freo - only 16 clearances for the whole game, the fewest since 2010 - and they truly sucked last week against the Dogs.

Lions by ten goals.

Last edited:

I am sensing a bit more of a steely determination within the group at the moment.
Not playing anywhere near our best footy but gusting out some results in recent weeks which hopefully bodes well for the rest of the season.
Some bodies on the way back in the next few weeks who will all be fresh in the back half of the year.
Would love for Lachie between the bye and the end of the regular season to be able to have one game off to refresh, maybe the Eagles game in round 18.
And then we are good to go.

Lions by 60 am his week and hopefully we see some good goal kicking.

Thanks for the preview moncon, the tigers still have a pretty strong defence on paper, so it will be interesting how our faultering attack function against them. I missed last week's game, so hopefully the newer players get some decent game time. On their day Richmond can be a strong team, but I think we should get the chocolates this weekend .

I think we absolutely beat down on a weak opposition this Saturday. I hope so, at least. I think everyone from the coaches to the fans needs an easy week!
Well said; i do and I just hope we don’t go in with a mindset that all we need to do is turn up because that regularly doesn’t end well for us.

They have beaten Swans and still have quite a few premiership players still running around.

Having had a look at the record books, of all teams as the Lions, we have our worst record against the Tigers sitting at only 12 wins, 25 losses and 1 draw for a winning % of 32.89, although our home record against them is 10 wins and 10 losses.

Just win and win well

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're all pretty familiar on this board with the situation at the Lions, so let's have a look at this week's opponent, the Richmond Tigers.

Some points:

1/ Ninety percent probability we'll win the frees. The Tigers have won the free kick count only twice in their last 20 games.

2/ They haven't beaten us at the Gabba since 2019 which is 1/ half a decade ago, and 2/ when their side was at the peak of its period of success, a period which sadly for them can't be called a dynasty because they didn't threepeat. And this Richmond side is not as good as the 2019 version (see below).

3/ Firstly, we've got five ACLs. Having said that, Richmond's season has been cruelled by injuries to key players: first-choice midfield Prestia, Taranto, & Hopper have only played a game and a half together this season. Lynch is weeks away. Balta, Graham, Ross, Gibcus...there've been several rounds when they've had 10 or 12 of their top 18 out. Some are coming back but overall it's been a "bordelle de merde", as they say in French.

4/ Their defence has 14 flags between them and has given up an average 98 ppg in 2024. It looks like it's one season too many for Grimes. Balta's likely to play forward, who knows. But you'd have to say that Grimes, Broad, Short, Vlaustin, & Rioli is still a handy defence on paper, and new guy Browne has a good kick on him. Rebound 50's out of defence is the only stat where Richmond is above competition average.

Their midfield has lots of flags too of course, but Pickett's been awful this season. Bolton's had his moments, but not many and not consistently. Nobody is Dusty 2017-2020, not even Dustin Martin. Baker's beaten up and having to play out of position. Graham, Taranto, Hopper all injured. If McInerney goes alright against Nankervis - who is horribly out of form - then our mids have a field day. Probably will anyway.

Compared with their defence and midfield, without Lynch there are far fewer flags in their forwards, and it shows. Their scoring is down, their scoring shots are down, and their ratio of F50 entries to scores is 17th in the league.

Currently their tallest forward is 6-gamer Lefau at 195cm. For some reason Yze won't pick Ryan. New guy Campbell goes alright. Rioli Jr did his ankle this past weekend.

They've played 4 of the current top 8. It would have been five, but Carlton, laughably, managed to win themselves out of the eight on percentage.

Round zero Richmond got done by the Suns (Dimma's first game blah blah), then had some close ones - lost to Carlton by 5, lost to Port by 30 (but Port kicked 4 goals in the last ten minutes), beat top-of-the-ladder Sydney (their only win, & Sydney's only loss so far), lost to the Saints by 7 points (at Norwood Oval), and then the wheels fell off. They got spanked away at West Coast lol, and lost by 7 goals on Anzac Eve to Melbourne (who we beat easily in round five this season when we smashed them at the G and made them look ordinary).

Richmond were awful against Freo - only 16 clearances for the whole game, the fewest since 2010 - and they truly sucked last week against the Dogs.

Lions by ten goals.
I loved the Dusty Martin comment.

I fear too much optimism here… it causes a disturbance in the force. 😟
season 4 episode 20 GIF by Star Wars

Have you got the same info for Brisbanes last win at the MCG haha

Severe relevance deficit.

tigers will come out hard to start with , usual thing the team that cops it during the week by the media will start hard we have to be ready for it , treat them with respect as we always have or we might get a shock , cannot afford to lose this or any game for the rest of the season to be frank

No disrespect to the young tigers, but I'm expecting an absolute mauling on Saturday night.

I actually think we are in good form, despite a few obvious things to work on, I think we are getting back to our best. I think the adversity with the injuries has given the boys the shake up they needed.

Having a look ahead, we have many winnable games coming up. This season is crazy tight, we're only what, 3 wins off of 3rd right now or something? Haha. This team played in a gf last year. We've got some stars returning. We're good enough to contend still.

Time to get the winning streak going!

Lions by 684 points

Last win at the MCG was 5 weeks ago...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back