Review Round 11, 2024 vs North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

The thing that pleased me about the forward structure yesterday was that it showed that Marshall does indeed have decent forward craft. Some of his leads were perfection.

The thing is that we need him to show that he can do it with Dixon in the side. To do that, we have to play in a way that makes it possible for him to do so. That there is the biggest hurdle.

The thing that pleased me about the forward structure yesterday was that it showed that Marshall does indeed have decent forward craft. Some of his leads were perfection.

The thing is that we need him to show that he can do it with Dixon in the side. To do that, we have to play in a way that makes it possible for him to do so. That there is the biggest hurdle.
You only realised this yesterday? I swear some of our supporters are blinded by there hate for Marshall. Todd's always been an exceptionally smart footballer.

Missed the game yesterday due to a wedding, just saw Jed had 17 touches. What?

Marshall regularly finds space in the pocket, even with Dixon in the team. The difference yesterday was that he kicked straight.

Also let's not forget it was North who have conceded 100+ points in every game this year.

You only realised this yesterday? I swear some of our supporters are blinded by there hate for Marshall. Todd's always been an exceptionally smart footballer.

I didn't realise it yesterday. I have been a supporter of Marshall's for some time. There have been a few games this year where his effort has seemed sub-par and in which he seemed to be playing bereft of confidence. In those games, we saw little of his forward craft.

What I was saying is that yesterday it was obvious and showed that he has not lost it (or it hadn't been coached out of him). It also shows the benefit of playing to his strength, which is not low-percentage leads to the pockets.

Marshall regularly finds space in the pocket, even with Dixon in the team. The difference yesterday was that he kicked straight.

Also let's not forget it was North who have conceded 100+ points in every game this year.
Port was the 4th lowest score for against Norths this year, whilst keeping North to their 2nd lowest score (and lowest home score) for the season.

It’s really hard to take anything out of the game, but is that a sign the backline is improving?

He was taking marks in much better positions because the structure allowed him to lead there and the mids honoured his work. That led to the straight kicking.

I get that North is not much chop. However, it showed to me that his apparent deficiencies this year are structural, not inherent in him.

The Port Adelaide Cruisers cruised to an easy victory.
The game didn't get out of second gear for the whole match.
We started to blow them away after quarter time.
You can't take too much out of this game. You take the win and move on.

We have a hard game next week and a very hard run for the rest of the way.

THE GOOD

The Hornet is just too good.
The tall backs killed their forwards.
Ratugolea was sensational.
Zerk was excellent as usual.
Aliir patrolled with ease.
Mead's attacking game
Marshall easing goals from all angles for 5 straight.
The open forward line with guys leading well and creating more space.
The forward line didn't collapse without Dixon.
Byrne-Jones and McEntee raising their game with Rioli out.
Wines and Boak doing well enough in the midfield.
Burgoyne and Boak winning their wings.
Jones showing glimpses.

THE MEDIOCRE

Rozee and Butters on smoko the whole game
Sweet was OK.
Mead's defensive game

THE UGLY

Bergman had a terrible game. Outmarked constantly is a worry.
Rozee injured early.

Port was the 4th lowest score for against Norths this year, whilst keeping North to their 2nd lowest score (and lowest home score) for the season.

It’s really hard to take anything out of the game, but is that a sign the backline is improving?

Ratugolea's performance was a key to the backline performance yesterday.

There was an article in Code Sport during the week.

Burgoyne was told his body language makes him look disinterested. It was never an attitude or effort thing, just how it looked externally.
If externally means in the media etc. I couldn’t give a toss, as long as his attitude to his club and team mates is good, that’s what matters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If externally means in the media etc. I couldn’t give a toss, as long as his attitude to his club and team mates is good, that’s what matters.
It was the coaches who told him.

His quotes in the article were interesting. Sounds like he took it on board and it although it may have sounded harsh it was actually some constructive criticism that helped him develop.

I have said similar things to people I manage at work. If done correctly, it often results in positive outcomes. Often the person doesn’t know that’s how their body language is perceived.

He was taking marks in much better positions because the structure allowed him to lead there and the mids honoured his work. That led to the straight kicking.

I get that North is not much chop. However, it showed to me that his apparent deficiencies this year are structural, not inherent in him.
3/5 of his goals were from wide, long shots. Usually this year he has missed those, today he kicked then.

He had 5 marks inside 50 compared to 3.2 average this year. So it was better than average but he was playing against North.

I think you are seeing ghosts with this Dixon thing.

I've met him a fair few times before he was AFL - 0 chance he'll ever leave victoria.
People need a reality check when they advocate to chase a certain player.

Where even Solda missus can't stand living in Adelaide, you must chase ex-pats and players who have lived in the bush.

Finlayson needs to be played as a link up marking target between the backline and the forward line.

He is quite creative and an instinctual player. He is good by hand and foot with space.

He is also quite good when it hits the deck.

That is true. He's a smart footballer & a talented one with plenty of tricks. My problem with Marshall is his mental application. I also think his upper body is too underdeveloped which means he gets pushed around too easily. Very good game yesterday, led well as good forwards should. But can he do this regularly against quality opposition.

Finlayson needs to be played as a link up marking target between the backline and the forward line.

He is quite creative and an instinctual player. He is good by hand and foot with space.

He is also quite good when it hits the deck.
He would be great on the wing and a challeng to man up, our own Blicavs

Missed the game yesterday due to a wedding, just saw Jed had 17 touches. What?
Rioli went off early blind Freddie would have kicked goals if he played forward pocket.
McEntee was good but his kicking for goal was woeful.

We absolutely controlled the game from the outset. It looked like we never really got out of second gear.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back