Review Round 11 - Carlton @ Docklands - 25th May 2024 - 1:45pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

I know I said it last week, but THIS is a game that the Suns don’t win ever. You only have to go back to this fixture last year on the back of a morale-boosting trip to Darwin for reference.

We win this and the lid is off. However, given Geelong’s complete failure to turn up last year, we still need to prove that we can overcome being challenged and not just thrown in the towel right away. We’ll see.

I don’t expect a win, although we do seem to play Carlton pretty well as we don’t get bullied in the middle. I just dont want to see yet another ‘oh we’re playing away, these games basically don’t count’ performance.

I know I said it last week, but THIS is a game that the Suns don’t win ever. You only have to go back to this fixture last year on the back of a morale-boosting trip to Darwin for reference.

We win this and the lid is off. However, given Geelong’s complete failure to turn up last year, we still need to prove that we can overcome being challenged and not just thrown in the towel right away. We’ll see.

I don’t expect a win, although we do seem to play Carlton pretty well as we don’t get bullied in the middle. I just dont want to see yet another ‘oh we’re playing away, these games basically don’t count’ performance.
Just can’t let them get those clearance into goal run-ons. Witts can help, but it’s up to the mids really. If they win there, we can dominate. Ours mids have goalscoring power too if we can get on top.

But last year we were well up and then absolutely capitulated.

Stopping their tall forwards also really limits their scoring power. Curnow turned the game at home too.

The fact we haven’t won away has to be addressed. This is the opportunity. Beat Carlton away and we can go into Essendon with confidence.

Just disagree with "Its just impossible to play a really good game in sticky 30ᵒ weather."

We played a very good game on a 5 day break. Some of those link ups runs from defence were fantastic. We applied a great pressure; midfield did a fantastic job. It was a bit like against GWS in Gather round. Team worked well as a unit; one could see the system.

For sure, away game against Carlton will tell us where we really stand. We were terrible on the road except GWS game.

Hey Dimma, after 10 games it should start clicking on the road too.
There's no doubt we played well but the pressure from Geelong didn't seem particularly fierce to me which I think we can put down to the conditions. We definitely played well.

alright melb based peeps, i assume i just get a GA entry and make my way to the cheersquad end (wherever that is when i get in) and i'll see you motley bunch of the best supporters in the land?
That’s correct captain, see you there! Make sure you bring your voice.
Salute Aye Aye Captain GIF

alright melb based peeps, i assume i just get a GA entry and make my way to the cheersquad end (wherever that is when i get in) and i'll see you motley bunch of the best supporters in the land?

Woooo
Pumped

(Log in to remove this ad.)

4 blokes dropped after a record breaking win? Harsh.
My guess is Fiorini didn’t have much of an impact only 1 tackle, Davies didn’t get enough of the pill, Moyle was always going to be dropped the next week to bring Witts back in and Day well that one explains itself.

My guess is Fiorini didn’t have much of an impact only 1 tackle, Davies didn’t get enough of the pill, Moyle was always going to be dropped the next week to bring Witts back in and Day well that one explains itself.
Davies was great as sub. 12 touches, 6 tackles, 3 clearances in under 50 minutes of playing time is good. Feel he is a bit unlucky considering how good he has been.
Not sure how Swallow survives again and how Holman gets back in.
Who plays the wing across from Clohesy I wonder.

Davies was great as sub. 12 touches, 6 tackles, 3 clearances in under 50 minutes of playing time is good. Feel he is a bit unlucky considering how good he has been.
This is the team, I reckon. Dimma has been trying different pieces with varying success. I reckon this is the 23. Dare I say the best mix of talent we have ever put on the paddock.
Davies, stiff. Weller to come back. Long way back for him. Budurick, well and truly over taken. Rosas is a red hot chance when he gets back to full fitness and form. But right now, this is 80% of a premiership team.
In Dimma we trust!

Last edited:
Don’t mind the line-up, looks like we are going for some speed to try and exploit Carlton on the outside with Fiorini out of the wing.

Would’ve kept Davies in though as I feel we are 1 mid short, for Holman. Although I assume we are going to run Humphrey through the middle in those Davies/Graham minutes and see what he can do given his confidence is sky high.

Don’t mind seeing Johnstone stay in on a different track to see what he can do. Clohesy/Ainsworth/Johnston wing rotation (I imagine who it will be) is a bit of toe.

I don’t know how many goals we can get from Long/Johnston/Holman/Berry/Rogers group, so they’ll all be playing for their spot with Rosas due back in a couple of weeks.

Ainsworth will start as our 2nd winger, basically already is. Swallow or our 4th mid will cover the rest of the rotation

Remove this Banner Ad

Back