Review Round 11 - Carlton @ Docklands - 25th May 2024 - 1:45pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

How disappointing! We’re so inconsistent. Simple can’t play away from home. We’ll probably belt the Bombers next week at home.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If we're going to keep the 2 Darwin games then spread it out and dont have it back to back

If we're going to keep the 2 Darwin games then spread it out and dont have it back to back
Back to back makes sense though. Acclimatise to conditions, do community work for a week etc.

But if it could back into a bye that would be great. Two games on a short break up there to then travel again sucks.

Wouldn’t be using that as an excuse though. We could have had a week off and be playing at home… but if we play like that, any top 8 team will beat us comfy.

Flanders was a huge loss, let’s hope he’s back next week, Walter needs a spell in the 2s, bring in Day, the guy is in great form, he will get 2 or 3 goals every week and he’s our obvious 2nd ruck. Davies in the ruck was laughable.
Mac is a superstar and our most important player. Rosas will be very handy when he’s back.
Having our 3 best rebounding backs (Weller Powell and Flanders) doesn't help. Really lack run from the back half.
Powell's suspension was very costly.

On SM-A546E using BigFooty.com mobile app

To hardly have a player play well and only lose by 5 goal is almost a positive. Disappointing that we can't seem to back it up but it seems a bit of a trend across the comp that a good game or two is followed up by a shocker. Flanders a big loss, could have provided drive from half back or even thrown into the middle to get his hands on it. Next week is now a must win.

After a week off.. Witt’s got schooled by De Koning…
The beginning of the end?
Witts won the hit outs, but he was honestly ineffective all day (nice goal though!). His taps were easily picked out.

By contrast, DeKoning lost the hit outs comfy, but when he did win he seemed to be working it to his team, getting more clearances and getting more inside 50s.

Was a noticeable factor. If Witts was 10cm shorter he wouldn’t be a good ruck. His size is all a big advantage, but can be mitigated.

Him and all the mids were disappointing today.

After seeing the game live today I can tell you from the moment the ball was bounced Carlton kicked our ass with their work rate. The entire game our boys were 5-10 metres behind their man across the ground. Was absolutely disgusting. Agree with some comments on here Mac saved us big time. He was phenomenal. If he was out it would’ve been a 10 goal plus belting. Carlton had 148 more disposals than us, they worked much harder than us in every aspect, their transition moving the football was seamless and effortless. So disappointed with our lack of effort today. Really felt like if we had have put in 100% it was a winnable game.

I avoided media all day and just watched us now.
It’s all been said already.

Anyway
I wonder what Darwin does to us. I don’t like it. We are the GC and I want Carrara to be our home always.

When we don’t stick our tackles we always lose and that’s been the case throughout our history. Our tackling today was soft.

And yes our midfield was putrid.

I remain though happy overall. We are 6-5 and are relevant.

The team could have folded badly and they stuck it out late in the game.

Let Dimma work on getting us to bounce back next week against one of the precious and special VFL Campaigner Clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disappointing day today.
Mac was a shining light
I also really though clohsey showed some really good fight and intent. Think we really got a gem there and will be part of our window for sure!
Mids got blasted, fly noz, Rowell and touky in first class and maybe find the prettiest air hostesses for them because I'm sick of them not showing up away from Carrara or Darwin

A disappointing day. A little lucky to only lose by 29 points. Was expecting a 20-point loss, but maybe a more honourable loss than that. Will need to rewatch the bits early that I missed, but a lot of things didn't work today. Luckily the bad umpiring was in our favour.

The midfield wasn't great. Touk Miller was decent enough with 21 disposals, 5 tackles, 8 clearances, but the disposal leader needs more than 21. 6 Carlton players were better in that stat. All credit to Matt Rowell for his 15 tackles, but to only have 15 disposals and 2 clearances is poor. Noah Anderson only had the single tackle, and that's terrible. Additionally, the fact that Gold Coast were below their average uncontested possession mark by 50 and Carlton were above their average by over 60 says it all.

Jarrod Witts had 19 more hitouts but lost the hitout to advantage rate by a whopping 10%. Also Matt Kennedy is 188cm and he had 4 hitouts from 6 contests? How does that happen?

Mac Andrew and Sam Collins were great. Collins had a perfect 1v1 rate, and Mac Andrew had a ridiculous 6 intercept marks. The defense played okay although the loss of Flanders was evident in the rebounding. Carlton had a crazy-good forward efficiency at points, but sometimes it has to be put down to crazy luck. I think all 4 of Zac Williams's goals were lucky snaps under good pressure.

Another thing no-one's mentioning is how Gold Coast won the inside 50s in the final quarter, but either the entry was atrocious and it was easily intercepted, or the entry was good but the Blues defenders timed their spoils absolutely perfectly. Forward line didn't really gel today apart from a few players. Jed Walter was a ghost - I clearly need to put more respect on Brodie Kemp's name, I just assumed he was just another guy down back until today. King was good, Lukosius was eh. Probably best to keep Sam Day in the lineup until Jed Walter's truly ready. I honestly can't tell what's better for Walter's development but Day is in too good a form to leave out of the side at the moment.

A disappointing day. A little lucky to only lose by 29 points. Was expecting a 20-point loss, but maybe a more honourable loss than that. Will need to rewatch the bits early that I missed, but a lot of things didn't work today. Luckily the bad umpiring was in our favour.

The midfield wasn't great. Touk Miller was decent enough with 21 disposals, 5 tackles, 8 clearances, but the disposal leader needs more than 21. 6 Carlton players were better in that stat. All credit to Matt Rowell for his 15 tackles, but to only have 15 disposals and 2 clearances is poor. Noah Anderson only had the single tackle, and that's terrible. Additionally, the fact that Gold Coast were below their average uncontested possession mark by 50 and Carlton were above their average by over 60 says it all.

Jarrod Witts had 19 more hitouts but lost the hitout to advantage rate by a whopping 10%. Also Matt Kennedy is 188cm and he had 4 hitouts from 6 contests? How does that happen?

Mac Andrew and Sam Collins were great. Collins had a perfect 1v1 rate, and Mac Andrew had a ridiculous 6 intercept marks. The defense played okay although the loss of Flanders was evident in the rebounding. Carlton had a crazy-good forward efficiency at points, but sometimes it has to be put down to crazy luck. I think all 4 of Zac Williams's goals were lucky snaps under good pressure.

Another thing no-one's mentioning is how Gold Coast won the inside 50s in the final quarter, but either the entry was atrocious and it was easily intercepted, or the entry was good but the Blues defenders timed their spoils absolutely perfectly. Forward line didn't really gel today apart from a few players. Jed Walter was a ghost - I clearly need to put more respect on Brodie Kemp's name, I just assumed he was just another guy down back until today. King was good, Lukosius was eh. Probably best to keep Sam Day in the lineup until Jed Walter's truly ready. I honestly can't tell what's better for Walter's development but Day is in too good a form to leave out of the side at the moment.
-22 contested possessions is the most damming stat for me.
-12 clearances does not help either.

We did look gassed in the middle.

Not as bad as Lions game but most of the first half was close to it.

I guess we will have to wait a bit longer (next year?) until it clicks against good team on the road :)

Last edited:
The evidence is now pretty clear.

At the moment, our midfield mix of Witts, Touk, Noah and Rowell is good but not good enough to compete against the best, let alone beat the best.

The Dogs, Lions, and Blues midfields all gave them a proper hiding. Not even close. Which means the defenders get smashed and the forwards get cold.

Are any of those 4 great players? If you can't play well on the road, the answer has to be no.

As a team?
Someone said we have lost 11 straight road games. I just checked, and we won two road games last year. One was against the Tigers at Marvel and was enough for Dimma to pull up stumps. The other one
was against the Eagles in the midst of the worst formline since Fitzroy. Do those two wins count?

Just horrendous.

The evidence is now pretty clear.

At the moment, our midfield mix of Witts, Touk, Noah and Rowell is good but not good enough to compete against the best, let alone beat the best.

The Dogs, Lions, and Blues midfields all gave them a proper hiding. Not even close. Which means the defenders get smashed and the forwards get cold.

Are any of those 4 great players? If you can't play well on the road, the answer has to be no.

As a team?
Someone said we have lost 11 straight road games. I just checked, and we won two road games last year. One was against the Tigers at Marvel and was enough for Dimma to pull up stumps. The other one
was against the Eagles in the midst of the worst formline since Fitzroy. Do those two wins count?

Just horrendous.
I think our midfield can compete against the best but only at home at the moment. We had some close losses against the best last year at home. We also demolished Lions at home.

Why is that? Back to Dimma.

Mental side is my guess. Players should learn from Mac who with only 29 games played showed more fight than all our midfielders.

Last edited:
I could be well off with this observation, but it’s looking like our plan is to gamble on winning the centre clearance out the front, and trusting Mac/Ballard/Powell to intercept at half-back if we lose it so we can start the attack from there. Think Geelong earlier this season or Richmond in their prime.

A few problems with this though. The midfield seems to have taken this to mean they are free of any defensive responsibility, and there appears to be no plan B if they are getting smashed. We are also at least 2 good ball users/decision makers away from being able to consistently start the attack from defence. And finally, it just invites the opposition to gain momentum if we lose a few in a row, which we just do not have the mental strength to overcome like we’ve seen countless times this season.

Obviously going to be a work in progress, but it is worrying that we are just repeating the same issues over and over again and not really learning from it. Especially given it’s our 2x captains, VC, and another leader in Rowell in the middle and none of them have taken responsibility this year to think about maybe trying to change things up and try to shutdown the player/s killing us.

I could be well off with this observation, but it’s looking like our plan is to gamble on winning the centre clearance out the front, and trusting Mac/Ballard/Powell to intercept at half-back if we lose it so we can start the attack from there. Think Geelong earlier this season or Richmond in their prime.

A few problems with this though. The midfield seems to have taken this to mean they are free of any defensive responsibility, and there appears to be no plan B if they are getting smashed. We are also at least 2 good ball users/decision makers away from being able to consistently start the attack from defence. And finally, it just invites the opposition to gain momentum if we lose a few in a row, which we just do not have the mental strength to overcome like we’ve seen countless times this season.

Obviously going to be a work in progress, but it is worrying that we are just repeating the same issues over and over again and not really learning from it. Especially given it’s our 2x captains, VC, and another leader in Rowell in the middle and none of them have taken responsibility this year to think about maybe trying to change things up and try to shutdown the player/s killing us.
I did not re-watch the game. I do think we tried different things, but Carlton midfield was so much better. Not sure what can you try when we are soundly beaten in contest and clearances, Witts beaten too. We were off our feet most of the game, Carlton out run us on spread.

Yeah, bad performance. I suspect Darwin had impact but it's every away game except GWS.

By the way we took it to Carlton midfield last year at Carrara. We challenged Lions, Melbourne midfield too.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back