Preview Round 12 - Melbourne v Brisbane Lions @ Giants Stadium, Friday 4 June 2021 7:50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Preview by DERRINALPHIL - Many thanks!

Melbourne supporters have a certain reputation for not going to games. I was invited into the member’s a year or two ago for lunch and then to watch the Melbourne match. It was a very good lunch with expensive wines to go with it. I sat next to a Melbourne supporter, a charming, blond woman from South Yarra who admitted while having a membership, she rarely went to a game. Her late husband never missed a game.

“When did you last go to a game?”, I asked.

“Oh, many years ago when I was a young girl”, she replied with a smile. “it was when Melbourne won the Grand Final”.

1622353596037-png.1141515

It was nearly that long ago when Mitch Robinson was saying, in the Melbourne press, that Melbourne played “bruise free footy”. Anyone who watched the Demons taking the Doggies apart on Friday know that we are in for a football treat whenever and wherever the match will be played. Anyone who has watched the Dees this year has seen their discipline and adherence to their team structure. We are in for a ‘bruising encounter’.

Why have the Dees come on so much this year? I think that they have under-performed badly in the last two years and so this season is a return to their rightful position. I have heard, via a Dees player, that last year he, and many of the other players, were motivated by fear and so played a selfish game. Everyone was worried primarily about their own position.

Melbourne’s fortunes this season can be attributed in my opinion, in no small feat, to the addition of ‘Choco’ Williams to the coaching staff. He has injected a want to play together for the good of the team and to play a role.

So, the two in-form teams meet somewhere rather than Alice Springs.

What of Melbourne? I looked up their stats on Footywire. They lay more tackles than everyone and they are tackled less than anyone else. Gawn wins more hit outs, but of late the clearances have not been as good as they would like. They commit the most clangers and all my Melbourne mates say they are unreliable in front of goal. The rest of their stats are what you would expect from the top team.

Oliver and Petracca lead their on-ball brigade. Oliver is a ‘contested beast’ and a ‘tackling machine’ but it has been their all over all ground pressure that has been so evident. They are a bit short down back since Adam Tomlinson went down. They have a wide spread of goal kickers, but Fritsch is the only major weapon up forward. They may play Weideman or Ben Brown and so go tall as we have several tall defenders injured but Lester should play if fit.

For the Dees, Salem was rushed back into the side and should be better for the run, and it remains to be seen who will replace the in-form winger Ed Langdon.

I think we have one advantage. We have more forwards that can dominate a game. Hipwood, Charlie, Daniher and now Bailey could kick multiple goals. Melbourne have only Fritsch. The game seems to me to be pitting Melbourne’s pressure game against our key forwards but Melbourne’s pressure choked off the most lethal running game (The Doggies) last week. The Doggies had more inside 50’s etc, but pressure strangles teams.

My predictions

• The losing team will complain about the umps
  • All the on-ballers will get 20 to 30 disposals
  • The winning team’s on-ballers will get the votes
  • Brisbane to win comfortably
The first three are certainties and the last? Fire power matters.

What, no AFL conspiracies?

Melbourne supporters have a certain reputation for not going to games. I was invited into the member’s a year or two ago for lunch and then to watch the Melbourne match. It was a very good lunch with expensive wines to go with it. I sat next to a Melbourne supporter, a charming, blond woman from South Yarra who admitted while having a membership, she rarely went to a game. Her late husband never missed a game.

“When did you last go to a game?”, I asked.

“Oh, many years ago when I was a young girl”, she replied with a smile. “it was when Melbourne won the Grand Final”.

1622353596037-png.1141515

It was nearly that long ago when Mitch Robinson was saying, in the Melbourne press, that Melbourne played “bruise free footy”. Anyone who watched the Demons taking the Doggies apart on Friday know that we are in for a football treat whenever and wherever the match will be played. Anyone who has watched the Dees this year has seen their discipline and adherence to their team structure. We are in for a ‘bruising encounter’.

Why have the Dees come on so much this year? I think that they have under-performed badly in the last two years and so this season is a return to their rightful position. I have heard, via a Dees player, that last year he, and many of the other players, were motivated by fear and so played a selfish game. Everyone was worried primarily about their own position.

Melbourne’s fortunes this season can be attributed in my opinion, in no small feat, to the addition of ‘Choco’ Williams to the coaching staff. He has injected a want to play together for the good of the team and to play a role.

So, the two in-form teams meet somewhere rather than Alice Springs.

What of Melbourne? I looked up their stats on Footywire. They lay more tackles than everyone and they are tackled less than anyone else. Gawn wins more hit outs, but of late the clearances have not been as good as they would like. They commit the most clangers and all my Melbourne mates say they are unreliable in front of goal. The rest of their stats are what you would expect from the top team.

Oliver and Petracca lead their on-ball brigade. Oliver is a ‘contested beast’ and a ‘tackling machine’ but it has been their all over all ground pressure that has been so evident. They are a bit short down back since Adam Tomlinson went down. They have a wide spread of goal kickers, but Fritsch is the only major weapon up forward. They may play Weideman or Ben Brown and so go tall as we have several tall defenders injured but Lester should play if fit.

For the Dees, Salem was rushed back into the side and should be better for the run, and it remains to be seen who will replace the in-form winger Ed Langdon.

I think we have one advantage. We have more forwards that can dominate a game. Hipwood, Charlie, Daniher and now Bailey could kick multiple goals. Melbourne have only Fritsch. The game seems to me to be pitting Melbourne’s pressure game against our key forwards but Melbourne’s pressure choked off the most lethal running game (The Doggies) last week. The Doggies had more inside 50’s etc, but pressure strangles teams.

My predictions

Great write up dlanod your best one yet.

Melbourne and The Lions.

Home to the two greatest toothless players of all time . Ron Barassi and Kevin Murray.

download (4).jpg download (5).jpg
Here's what happened when they met at the Brunswick Street Oval
download (6).jpg

Let's hope for a repeat. I wonder how many more toothless warriors we're going to have seeing many of the current generation don't like mouthguards.

Melbourne know they are the top of their game. We know we are trending up.

Our advantage lies in being the whack-a-mole team.

Number of goal kickers for Melbourne round 7 to 11 -
7 5 8 11 8 average 7.8

and for us 9 11 10 9 13. Average 10.4

simply doesn’t matter who they shut down, we can still get goals. Them, not so much.

might be another night for Mitch and matho to shine.

Melbourne know they are the top of their game. We know we are trending up.

Our advantage lies in being the whack-a-mole team.

Number of goal kickers for Melbourne round 7 to 11 -
7 5 8 11 8 average 7.8

and for us 9 11 10 9 13. Average 10.4

simply doesn’t matter who they shut down, we can still get goals. Them, not so much.

might be another night for Mitch and matho to shine.

Linc to snag 4 & take mark of the week.

Nice preview dlanod👍
Does anyone have any intel in regards to whether or not the match will be played in Sydney?
I want to go and support our boys
article on afl.com.au that says dreamtime will be at optus also says our game will likely be in sydney, nothing official yet though or if "sydney" means scg or spotless

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As is always the case the battle will be decided in the midfield, pretty good match up.

Jarryd Lyons - Clayton Oliver.
Hugh McCluggage - Angus Brayshaw.
Zac Bailey - Christian Petracca.
Dayne Zorko - James Harmes.
Mitch Robinson - Ed Langdon.
Rhys Mathieson - Jake Melksham.
Deven Robertson - James Jordan.

They have a very good top 3 as do we, overall looks pretty even, who ever wants it more will get on top.

Some possible match ups? >

James Madden > Kysaiah Pickett.
Harris Andrews > Sam Weideman.
Marcus Adams > Tom McDonald.
Brandon Starcevich > Bayley Fritsch.

LIONS to slay the Demons.

As is always the case the battle will be decided in the midfield, pretty good match up.

Jarryd Lyons - Clayton Oliver.
Hugh McCluggage - Angus Brayshaw.
Zac Bailey - Christian Petracca.
Dayne Zorko - James Harmes.
Mitch Robinson - Ed Langdon.
Rhys Mathieson - Jake Melksham.
Deven Robertson - James Jordan.

They have a very good top 3 as do we, overall looks pretty even, who ever wants it more will get on top.

Some possible match ups? >

James Madden > Kysaiah Pickett.
Harris Andrews > Sam Weideman.
Marcus Adams > Tom McDonald.
Brandon Starcevich > Bayley Fritsch.

LIONS to slay the Demons.

Madden provides such a good balance, you can just pencil him in to cover the zippy forward and leave Starcevich for a medium tall.

Brayshaw vs McCluggage will be very interesting. He'll look to shutdown Hugh and can match him on the wing.

With the AFL's policy on maximising crowds, you'd think the game would be played at the Gabba...
No way that's going to happen being a Melbourne home game, Cazaly's Stadium Cairns would probably sellout(13,500) and Metricon would get at least that as well you would think, we'd be lucky to get 4-5 thousand in Sydney.

If you were wanting to maximise Melbourne demon fans attendance you'd nominate the Gabba if NT and VIC are out of the picture.

It would be in line with the AFL's stance on maximising crowds.... I know it's very unlikely, just pointing out the inconsistency of the AFL.

No way that's going to happen being a Melbourne home game, Cazaly's Stadium Cairns would probably sellout(13,500) and Metricon would get at least that as well you would think, we'd be lucky to get 4-5 thousand in Sydney.
Being a home game for the Dees they may jump at the takings from Gabba full house given they sold their soul for 700k to play at Alice. AFL might even provide some steak knives to make sure of a spectacle befitting the expected contest by moving to the Gabba.

Being a home game for the Dees they may jump at the takings from Gabba full house given they sold their soul for 700k to play at Alice. AFL might even provide some steak knives to make sure of a spectacle befitting the expected contest by moving to the Gabba.

Since Dees played at marvel on Friday, do you think QLD will allow them in? GWS got turned away for one day to meet 14 days lead time I think. All signs pointing to Sydney to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back