Autopsy Round 13 vs Demons - What did you learn?

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure what a Brownlow win 9 years ago has to do with the price of tea in China but I assume you haven't watched much of Geelong this season as Bartel has been largely playing as a loose man across half back and occasionally floating to half forward. Beveridge did nothing about that while he racked up plenty of possessions. They are both composed and experienced 250+ game players. Interestingly, McVeigh and Bartel had identical stats against Norf - 25 possessions and 2 goals.
The relevance of the Brownlow win is that Bartel is a much better footballer. I haven't watched every Geelong game but when I have Bartel appeared to be playing on a flank between the half back line and half forward line. Back in the day that was called a wingman. I didn't realise he had become a spare loose defender. Mate if Geelong offered a swap do you reckon we might take it?

The relevance of the Brownlow win is that Bartel is a much better footballer. I haven't watched every Geelong game but when I have Bartel appeared to be playing on a flank between the half back line and half forward line. Back in the day that was called a wingman. I didn't realise he had become a spare loose defender. Mate if Geelong offered a swap do you reckon we might take it?
Your initial point was that McVeigh was going to be exposed by faster sides but Bartel is a year older and probably even slower yet is having a very good season and was great against the Dogs.

I'm not sure why you think McVeigh bears any more responsibility for the GWS loss than, say, Parker who played one of the most ineffectual games of his career at the coal face and largely escaped much criticism from the usual suspects.

Anyway, tbh I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're saying so it's probably best we just put a pin in this and move on.

I learnt...

Our team pressure was relentless throughout in miserable conditions, and as a team, I thought they played very well and stuck to their tasks.

Talk of Allir dropping an 'easy' mark is ludicrous! There was no such thing as an easy mark yesterday. (I sit in the first tier of the Brewongle Stand and am generally out of any rain, however it rained continuously and was swirling around so much that we got wet on and off all arvo.)

Tippo was missed and will continue to be until he returns.

I think that Sinclair makes more of a contribution each week and continues to work hard at improving. His role is not to be a Mummy or Gawn or Tippo, and to try to compare him to them is like comparing Rampe to Buddy. His role is to be a back up ruck/forward as I understand it, and to attack the footy wherever he is at the time. He may not be winning the rucks against the best of the best, but he is doing okay. In a team that prides itself on each player performing their role, I think he is doing the role asked of him.

Nankervis is slow and cumbersome, and has the stopping power of a tank... and also it's turning circle! He too will get better with time, but I think he has a way to go... in the meantime he will do the best job he can. I wouldn't mind seeing Naismith get a run in the dry...

On a cold, wet, miserable afternoon the nearly 20,000 hardy souls that huddled under whatever cover was available to cheer us home... still bitched about no kick to kick! o_O

I learnt...

On a cold, wet, miserable afternoon the nearly 20,000 hardy souls that huddled under whatever cover was available to cheer us home... still bitched about no kick to kick! o_O
Haha. Pretty sure QBE (our insurers) wouldn't have let anyone out on the ground for fear of someone drowning! < insert "joke" about Eddie FatHead McGuire here if you so desire... >

The wet weather helped McVeigh and Nankervis yesterday in the sense that the game was slowed down immensely. Slowed down to their speed in fact.

McVeigh hopefully put in a performance which will kick-start his season and Nankervis again showed he is more than useful as a backup (ie. the third best ruckman on a list).

Your initial point was that McVeigh was going to be exposed by faster sides but Bartel is a year older and probably even slower yet is having a very good season and was great against the Dogs.

I'm not sure why you think McVeigh bears any more responsibility for the GWS loss than, say, Parker who played one of the most ineffectual games of his career at the coal face and largely escaped much criticism from the usual suspects.

Anyway, tbh I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're saying so it's probably best we just put a pin in this and move on.
Indeed.

What did we learn?? Swans are mentally tougher this season. Have bounced back well after losses to Adelaide & GWS . Melbourne came to this game in-form and began pretty well in the wet conditions. The ins did a great job, thought Toby Nankervis gave reasonable support to Sinclair and they managed Gawn well enough.Liked Aliir Aliir's game..he'll get better with more gametime & loved how he gave it back to Dawes early in the first half..Dean Towers stepped up as well. The tackling numbers say it all as does keeping Melbourne to it's lowest ever score at the SCG. Lance continues a great season already equaling his goal tally from last year. Sydney continue to surprise just when you think they may fall away. The usual suspects McVeigh, Kennedy, Hannas etc etc did their usual stuff..Thought it was a tremendous effort for Heath Grundy on his 200th game..our thoughts & pics :

benmcweb.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back