Autopsy Round 13 vs Demons - What did you learn?

Remove this Banner Ad

I like Vince, its a mans game, Parker wouldn't care , he's tough. What a joke all the fines.
Told my mate id take vince in part of a deal for mitchell if he wont re sign. My mate scoffed but i reckon hes a cracker.

s**t hes 30. I thought he was 27ish

Owe yes, the main thing I learnt was that hanners is playing the season out with a crack in his ribs which will not heel until the end of year the way he plays. Legend!

Coaches' votes

9 Jarrad McVeigh (Syd)
7 Dean Towers (Syd)
4 Lance Franklin (Syd)
4 Josh Kennedy (Syd)
3 Zak Jones (Syd)
3 Luke Parker (Syd)

McVeigh 5-4
Towers 5-2
Franklin/Kennedy One 4-0, the other 3-1
Jones/Parker One 3-0, the other 2-1

Two birds, one game.
1: Teddy rested from a game that offered no value to his recovery while
2: we continue to develop Allir at our own pace.:thumbsu:

Rose was lively and seemed to pop up everywhere. Macca played a great game, handling the conditions easily. Thought Mills & Jones were excellent.

So the board's two main whipping boys of the last week got the most coaches votes on the weekend. What on earth will people talk about over the bye? :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coaches' votes

9 Jarrad McVeigh (Syd)
7 Dean Towers (Syd)
4 Lance Franklin (Syd)
4 Josh Kennedy (Syd)
3 Zak Jones (Syd)
3 Luke Parker (Syd)

McVeigh 5-4
Towers 5-2
Franklin/Kennedy One 4-0, the other 3-1
Jones/Parker One 3-0, the other 2-1

Wonder who gave towers the 2

Pretty pathetic post. Give credit where it's due. I know it's very upsetting to the building narrative but he was just plain good.

Also, what is with this board's obsession with foot speed? You know what moves the ball faster than anything? Accurate kicking. McVeigh was kicking at ~85% efficiency which is astonishing in those conditions. I urge you to take another look at his highlights on the Swans website. His footwork in heavy traffic and hands in the wet were sublime.

I see him as being able to perform a very similar role as Bartel currently is for the Cats, who interestingly just played the blisteringly fast, line-breaking Dogs. How'd he go? Just a casual 27 possessions.
Well for starters Bartel plays on a wing and has won a Brownlow so I don't see the comparison. I actually gave him credit before the game. I posted last week that McVeigh would go OK against Melbourne because they allow a loose man in defence. I have watched a replay of the whole game. He was given loads of time and space against Melbourne that he wont get against the Bulldogs. Do you seriously reckon that Beveridge will allow him to play behind the defence without a close checking opponent? And you cant teach young dogs old tricks.

Last edited:
It was a good day for a lot of fringe players.

Zak Jones has been quietly stepping up these past few weeks.
Aliir Aliir really looked like he belonged, looked clean in trying conditions.
Happy for Towers to bounce back with a career best game.
The rucks did very well to limit the influence of Gawn, he had 58 hitouts but those are pretty irrelevant if they don't lead to clearances. Especially impressed with the way Nankervis threw his body around.

There are some promising signs but it was only one game, the real test would be to see if these guys can keep it up after the bye as we play some teams that are tougher than Melbourne and more likely than not will be meeting in finals.

So in other words, anyone who wins a game by 12 points or less doesn't deserve the win? That's what an umpiring decision or missed pass can cost a team.
If we slacken off and let the opposition get that close then yeah - we may suffer the consequences. Hello Richmond, adelaide and Brisbane (if not for stretch).

We have to be more ruthless ...

We were soft at the contest v Richmond which was disappointing, seen most by our lack of tackles. What I saw yesterday would beat Richmond 9 times out of ten. Very different intent from the team. Adelaide played well and are quality whilst I can't comment on the Brisbane game
If we slacken off and let the opposition get that close then yeah - we may suffer the consequences. Hello Richmond, adelaide and Brisbane (if not for stretch).

We have to be more ruthless ...
e

Well for starters Bartel plays on a wing and has won a Brownlow so I don't see the comparison. I actually gave him credit before the game. I posted last week that McVeigh would go OK against Melbourne because they allow a loose man in defence. I have watched a replay of the whole game. He was given loads of time and space against Melbourne that he wont get against the Bulldogs. Do you seriously reckon that Beveridge will allow him to play behind the defence without a close checking opponent? And you cant teach young dogs old tricks.
Not sure what a Brownlow win 9 years ago has to do with the price of tea in China but I assume you haven't watched much of Geelong this season as Bartel has been largely playing as a loose man across half back and occasionally floating to half forward. Beveridge did nothing about that while he racked up plenty of possessions. They are both composed and experienced 250+ game players. Interestingly, McVeigh and Bartel had identical stats against Norf - 25 possessions and 2 goals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back