Review Round 15, 2022 - Melbourne vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Not the right game for a debut.
Up there with the dumbest decision of the season by Fagan. It was obvious b4 the game thats the case. I no Matho has a lot of flaws, but he gives effort and wouldve got in faces or AhChee who has been good most of the year - but yeah, bring in a debutant - almost arrongance by the club.

Zorko, Bailey, Ah Chee, Wilmot, Matho and Fort for Tunstill, TBerry, Robbo, Lyons, Answerth and Oscar
Matho in and Oscar out is going to solve zero.

Matho is Robbo with better ball winning and worse cardio.

Fort will blow up rucking solo.

Other than that you're basically suggesting you to back to our team you were complaining about three games ago.

Does he have the cleanliness and composure to be an inside mid at the highest level though? In his few moments in a contest he either fumbled or blasted a handball forward to Melbourne defenders
I think he could with some opportunity.

Lyons is now a complete liability. Just outpaced, poor disposal choices and jumps into a contest to get a tackle . He's been a great warrior but we can't go anywhere if he's in our best 3 midfielders.

Going to be a lot of talk about us being pretenders after that display, and rightfully so.

Demons were awesome but we just did not go with them when they amped the pressure up. Everytime we play them they bully our midfield and we end up bombing it long to 40m out and getting intercepted with ease.

A lot of work to do between now and September if we want things to go any differently than the last few seasons.

Does he have the cleanliness and composure to be an inside mid at the highest level though? In his few moments in a contest he either fumbled or blasted a handball forward to Melbourne defenders
Yeah I did notice that although I guess he hasn’t had a good stretch in there to see if he adapts to the pace of the faster game up from the reserves.

One thing is for sure though, he shouldn’t play again if the only intention is to play him forward pocket. The club may as well save some dough and ask one of us to play the position.

Play him in his rightful spot or not at all. If he’s not up to the midfield well then he doesn’t make the team full stop.

bailey back next week and a forced change for Lyons will hopefully give us some different looks.

I agree with others, Robbo got us two goals tonight, but I'm wanting to back in .. at least Ah Chee if not Prior...

also I thought McStay was quite usable in the ruck generally. But it was a pretty sad display from our tall forwards as a group.

Bringing in berry and a debutant against the Dee's at the G was arrogant.

We needed players who can keep calm under onslaught, and that comes with experience. Also need a big mid field bull who can throw their weight around and make space for/protect the fancy ball movers.
Sure. Unfortunately none of those are in our reserves or are waltzing in the front door...

I know the stats show that Lyons and McCluggage are decent tacklers but my eyes deceive me, I just don't see it.

They're decent tacklers when ball movement is slow and in dispute at the feet of the ruckman, but the moment it leaves their vicinity their opponents tend to run away from them. Works fine when you're winning the clearances, however if we are getting smashed at the clearances like we were in the second, it leads to easy scoring opportunities for the opposition.

Screenshot 2022-06-23 222503.png

This is Harmes goal from the end of the second quarter (when we were being smashed out of the middle). I've marked in red where our centre bounce clearance players are. Melbourne's midfielders in that image are Harmes with the ball, and Petracca and Oliver either side of him Oliver along side and Viney trailing behind.

Last edited:
I get your broader point but I don’t see who of the young players actually contributed.

Payne was pretty solid in the air I guess, had his usual brutal few turnovers though. Tough ask for tunstill to debut. Tom berry was anonymous outside a couple of turnovers.

By and large they weren’t asked to. They were asked to play negating roles, while some of our senior players were asked to play away from where they do their best work.

When was the last time you saw Cameron in the defensive goal square trying to lay a goal saving tackle?

That happened multiple times, while Tom Berry was playing forward.

Tom Berry is an inside midfielder, who isn’t a good kick.

James Tunstill is a raw inside midfielder, who can kick (sometimes).

Deven Robertson is an inside midfielder, who isn’t a good kick.

Why didn’t we play Blake Coleman instead?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They're decent tacklers when ball movement is slow and in dispute at the feet of the ruckman, but the moment it leaves their vicinity their opponents tend to run away from them. Works fine when you're winning the clearances, however if we are getting smashed at the clearances like we were in the second, it leads to easy scoring opportunities for the opposition.

View attachment 1430945

This is Harmes goal from the end of the second quarter (when we were being smashed out of the middle). I've marked in red where our centre bounce clearance players are. Melbourne's midfielders in that image are Harmes with the ball, and Petracca and Oliver either side of him.

That's embarassing

Sure. Unfortunately none of those are in our reserves or are waltzing in the front door...
I'm fine with it if we're just not good enough with our current list . Which seems probable.

We're still one of the best teams and contending.

Get some currency out of players who aren't going to take us up a notch and strengthen the list for the next 4 or 5 years.

Maybe we had our chance through covid with home finals and we didn't get there.

We're nowhere near as bad as we were tonight and maybe we can regroup and at least make a prelim. this year.

[Picture]

This is Harmes goal from the end of the second quarter (when we were being smashed out of the middle). I've marked in red where our centre bounce clearance players are. Melbourne's midfielders in that image are Harmes with the ball, and Petracca and Oliver either side of him.

Great post

Matho in and Oscar out is going to solve zero.

Matho is Robbo with better ball winning and worse cardio.

Fort will blow up rucking solo.

Other than that you're basically suggesting you to back to our team you were complaining about three games ago.

What we tried tonight did. Not. Work.

It wasn't just a few mistakes, the whole set up failed and we have no choice but to try others from our squad.

Matho is disliked as an option, but honestly who else is there? I don't buy the he has no endurance, and he is certainly above VFL level. I don't think we need him to be a ball winner - we have those. We just need someone to come in and keep the opposition away from them at clearances so clugga and Lachie and Jarrod can do what they do best.

Up there with the dumbest decision of the season by Fagan. It was obvious b4 the game thats the case. I no Matho has a lot of flaws, but he gives effort and wouldve got in faces or AhChee who has been good most of the year - but yeah, bring in a debutant - almost arrongance by the club.
Up there with debuting Sharp last year. For all the good Fagan has done for the club he makes some strange selection choices. He debuts at weird times but refuses to rotate his favourites at others.

View attachment 1430945

That's really really ugly.

I think it's more our faster players aren't put in a position to use it, they're stuck in a forward pocket where they can sprint for maybe 20m before the ball is out of their zone and they need to set up rather than running back in transition with oppo mids.
Perhaps, you're right.

But those faster players i.e Starc, Charlie, Kiddy, Bails are also up there with the best in the competition in their pockets/flanks.

So unless they can/should move into the middle, I still suspect a large part of it is we are pretty powerful offensively but not great back the other way (particularly when the chips are down).

Whether that's the cattle, the coaching, or between the ears, who knows.

But if you combine that with the midfield being largely very skillful, but a little sluggish and same/same and well, here we are.

Back