Preview Round 18, 2022 vs Melbourne @ Alice Springs - Jimmy Toumpas Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think May 2018 was the last time the D’s played at Alice Springs - a romp against the crows (the winning margin being 91 points), however I’m quietly confident for a Port victory.

however I’m quietly confident for a Port victory.
Not picking on you, but it is hilarious how much our threads after simple wins against crap opposition have these sorts of posts in them.

We lose a game, everyone writes us off for the next week even against bottom sides, then we win those games, then the next week our threads are full of many that think we can beat anyone. Been happening for 10 years.

People whinge at me for being turned off by the current regime, but it is this exact repetitive failure after sucking us in, a cycle that has been continuous for 10 years, that is why I'm off the wagon right now. I'm sick of investing in a team that continually lets us down. We will not win Sunday, bookmark it.

Even if we do win, it means nothing if we dont take down Geelong at home. This Melb game is just the 1st leg of a 2 game stint we must win if we want to prove we're any good. Reality is though we've proven time and time again this year we aren't any good.

Win the next 2 and things will change and there'll be an air of confidence that is deserved, and a 10-3 in the last 13 will be fair to talk about. However we lose and it'll be 1-8 against the top 8 (maybe 2-7) and we need to stop deluding ourselves.

The propaganda from the club is just trying to control the fire sitting under Hinkley, and keep people going, but is ignoring the reality that we need to be thinking about the future and not 2022.

Last edited:

I think May 2018 was the last time the D’s played at Alice Springs - a romp against the crows (the winning margin being 91 points), however I’m quietly confident for a Port victory.
If it we were already on track for finals and this result would prove we are a real chance, I'd give us a 5% chance. Given a win will take the pressure off Hinkley for another 2-3 weeks I fear we may win. Everyone expects us to lose, so the pressure is off. From Hinkley down we perform best when there's no pressure, so a win here would not surprise me. I'd give it a 30% chance of a win.

Anyone think this will be a grind like that St Kilda game earlier in the year? Or are we set for a belting?

this time of year in alice i'd have thought conditions would be pretty good. melbourne werent great the last couple of weeks but before that they belted the brions off the park.

we are (on form) at best a lower top 8 side and melbourne are top 2. can't see us winning.

Melbourne supporters whingeing about Ben Brown and wanting to cut him.
Watch this space for an Alice Springs performance update.

Since when do we beat top 4 sides?

What are we like 1 win against the top 8 all year?

I reckon youse are dreaming. Melbourne by an easy 4 goals
Goes to show how on edge we all are over the Hinks situation.

Not picking on you, but it is hilarious how much our threads after simple wins against crap opposition have these sorts of posts in them.

We lose a game, everyone writes us off for the next week even against bottom sides, then we win those games, then the next week our threads are full of many that think we can beat anyone. Been happening for 10 years.

People whinge at me for being turned off by the current regime, but it is this exact repetitive failure after sucking us in, a cycle that has been continuous for 10 years, that is why I'm off the wagon right now. I'm sick of investing in a team that continually lets us down. We will not win Sunday, bookmark it.

Even if we do win, it means nothing if we dont take down Geelong at home. This Melb game is just the 1st leg of a 2 game stint we must win if we want to prove we're any good. Reality is though we've proven time and time again this year we aren't any good.

Win the next 2 and things will change and there'll bean air of confidence that is deserved, and a 10-3 in the last 13 will be fair to talk about. However we lose and it'll be 1-8 against the top 8 (maybe 2-7) and we need to stop deluding ourselves.

The propaganda from the club is just trying to control the fire sitting under Hinkley, and keep people going, but is ignoring the reality that we need to be thinking about the future and not 2022.
I'm as p*ssed with the running of our club as anyone but Jeez if a supporter can't get a bit up beat after a win without being pilloried then you've lost the focus of your outrage.
iu

I'm as p*ssed with the running of our club as anyone but Jeez if a supporter can't get a bit up beat after a win without being pilloried then you've lost the focus of your outrage.
iu
10 years of the same roller-coaster. Forgive me if I'm tired of the ride that never reaches a climax. Winning nothing regular season matches and finishing mid table are not things that excite me, it doesnt give me that junkie fix some seem to be getting. It's a premiership, or working towards it that I expect and celebrate/enjoy, else it's failure. If you are that acceptant of mediocrity then good on you, but that wasn't the Port Adelaide way during the first 3/4 of my life. Unfortunately the last 1/4 has been littered with it.

Last edited:
10 years of the same roller-coaster. Forgive me if I'm tired of the ride that never reaches a climax. Winning nothing regular season matches and finishing mid table are not things that excite me, it doesnt give me that junkie fix some seem to be getting. It's a premiership, or working towards it that I expect and celebrate/enjoy, else it's failure. If you are that acceptant of mediocrity then good on you, but that wasn't the Port Adelaide way during the first 3/4 of my life. Unfortunately the last 1/4 has been littered with it.
You apparently can't tell the difference between optimism and acceptance of mediocrity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You apparently can't tell the difference between optimism and acceptance of mediocrity.
You obviously think we can win a flag with this squad and coaching group. I'm 100% confident that we won't and can't. Change is the first thing that will start to bring some optimism because right now there's basically zero around.

If drew isn’t tagging Petracca from the first bounce, Hinkley should be sacked at quarter time
And if Drew is tagging Petracca from the first bounce, Hinkley should still be sacked at quarter time because of all the other stuff.

Win the next 2 and things will change and there'll bean air of confidence that is deserved, and a 10-3 in the last 13 will be fair to talk about. However we lose and it'll be 1-8 against the top 8 (maybe 2-7) and we need to stop deluding ourselves.

Even if we do happen to win a big game like this, it still gives no guarantees for the following week. I remember being really excited in 2020 after we knocked off Richmond at Adelaide Oval. But the joy was short lived - I'm fairly sure we lost a week later, and of course the Tigers won the game that really mattered. This team under Hinkley is a real tease, and you can easily have your heart broken if you get too excited.

Who the * whinges about you being turned offf by the current regime? Thunderpants?

We should copy the Cats and go around Gawn. Kozzie pickett loves to play well and strut around against us, need to smash him early.

If port can actually develop and execute a game plan they could win this, but I don't think we have the smarts in the box

And if Drew is tagging Petracca from the first bounce, Hinkley should still be sacked at quarter time because of all the other stuff.
I think we should just sack him now to be sure.

Nervous about this game reckon it's gonna be like the Carlton game where we get smashed in the first half and come back but just run out of time.

IN: Bonner, Duursma, McKenzie, Motlop

OUT: McEntee (unused, medical substitute)

B: R. Burton 3, T. Jonas-C 1, T. Clurey 17
HB: D. Byrne-Jones 33, A. Aliir 21, D. Houston 5
C: K. Amon 15, W. Drew 28, K. Farrell 24
HF: Z. Butters 18, T. Marshall 4, C. Rozee 20
F: R. Gray 9, C. Dixon 22, S. Powell-Pepper 2
Foll: J. Finlayson 11, O. Wines 16, T. Boak 10

I/C: S. Motlop 6, X. Duursma 7, T. McKenzie 12, M. Bergman 14, M. Georgiades 19, R. Bonner 26, J. Burgoyne 36, J. Mead 44

You obviously think we can win a flag with this squad and coaching group. I'm 100% confident that we won't and can't. Change is the first thing that will start to bring some optimism because right now there's basically zero around.
I'm intrigued as to how the feck you come to this conclusion from what I posted. For the record I don't believe we can. I also think there is a possibility we can beat Melbourne. Not probable but possible. And I don't find it remotely "hilarious" that some supporters would, you know, support the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back