Preview Round 18 - Melbourne Demons vs Brisbane Lions • Friday 14 July 2023 • 7:50 PM • MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
1688876892350.png

A huge 16 point Friday night game this week - No.3 vs No.4 !

Both squads have a lot on the line this round - Melbourne Demons with their meddling form line, Clayton Oliver unavailable, forward line not firing, Bayley Fritsch out injured.
Lions have the perennial MCG question, can we win away from Gabba, does this team believe in what it takes? what is the right mix ? who should we play?

Just to shake things up a bit, let's take this preview through the eyes of the great Morpheus.

1688877358138.png

For Dees, playing Petracca forward is a move long overdue. Goodwin made it this week and got a handsome 4 goal return. But will he stick to it? Will he be able to trust his midfield with Viney, Brayshaw, Sparrow, Hunter and Langdon. Or the Neale, Dunkley, Ashcroft combo is too good to resist and he moves Petracca back to the middle. The other part of the equation is Gawn and Grundy. Last time at Gabba, Gawn was out early and Grundy was left to ruck solo - so this will be a combo which Lions haven't experienced yet when both are playing. Who goes forward and who keeps taking the center bounces? Joel Smith was pushed to sub last round and Ben Brown/Melksham/Petracca held the forward line together. Would the second tall come back now to make Andrews-Payne accountable and free up Petracca? Lots to mull over.

For Lions, oh where do I start? After all the rage around Gunston inclusion last week, Gunners rightly poured fuel to the fire by kicking 6 goals. 6 BLOODY GOAAALLLS !!!! Fagan's pet delivered in spades and made the selection all the more difficult. Poor coach is going to lose rest of the hair in the process with a hoard of players making their way back in Dunkley, Berry, McCarthy. Would we play Fort to counter Gawn/Grundy? Would we play Ah Chee to tag Bowey or Salem? What's the right mix? Just back the kids in again or do we have to do the unpopular thing in dropping Robertson or Fletcher? What about Rich - will he play 2s again or is that single hitout enough to bring him back to equation as well? It'll be a fun selection meeting this week.

1688878645056.png

1688878686247.png

Lions don't have to look too far for inspiration. Lions have beaten the Demons both in a high pressure semi-final 2022 at MCG as well as at the Gabba in Round 2. This is not an insurmountable task in 2023 and Demons look weakened compared to last season where they went on an all winning spree in the first 10+ rounds.

1688878848233.png

Since the Hawthorn loss, Lions have been in a bit of winning run. Lot of reasons to attribute in terms of player selection, coaching tweaks, 2 tall setup and so on - but the players continued to believe. Every single week they walked out, believed in the game plan and played for each other. That's where the 4-0 was built from, no reason why it can't become 5-0 now.

1688878418250.png

Fagan carries the cross on this one for me - regardless of whether he plays Fort or single ruck, whether he keeps Deven or Fletcher or drops one, whether he brings Ah Chee or Rich back, he's going to make that selection one more time and live with it. He is coming to table along with match committee with their best possible ideas to win this on the drawing board. Hope it comes together for them in team selection this week, this is not an easy week at all. Easy for Morpheus to say let it all go, well Fagan, better hang on to your hat once that team drops coming thursday night :)

1688879138617.png
For the Lions, Forget about what happened. What we do coming friday night will set our group up with a new level of belief, belief that can't be put in words but only felt, kind of belief that deep down takes us to that last day in September. As a squad, we are capable, now it comes down to the 1% and what the players are daring to do in that split second when they need to decide and execute. Back yourselves and put an end to this season's MCG curse.

Lions by 5 goals.

They will be dancing in the streets of Brizvegas tonight... again again.

Y10uN8.gif

thought melbourne looked fairly average against saints. arguably got away with one as st kilda lost 3 players in the first quarter, with 2 being kpf. let may play completely unaccountable and mop up everything in the back half

think our mids can get on top of theirs, especially if dunkley plays. after that its just a matter of our key forwards not letting lever and may play the way they like to and managing to at least halve the contests

Thinking of travelling down for this one. But can’t find a friend to come so if I do will be on my own…

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I've seen people say this game is crucial for our season. Crucial for Top 2 maybe, but even if we lose we are still a game clear of Melbourne in 4th.

It's crucial also due the last time we'll be playing at MCG before finals.

I've seen people say this game is crucial for our season. Crucial for Top 2 maybe, but even if we lose we are still a game clear of Melbourne in 4th.
I think it’s crucial for our season in respect to the MCG.
Would be nice to get a win there against a good team before finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's clear that whoever loses misses the 8 😂

Sick and tired of the MCG bs, even if we make it so easy to write. Let's just get the win to shut the critics up.

Really would like to have Dunks back for this one, and our forwards need to be on point to make the most of our chances.

Feel most confident in our defence to limit their scoring, so if the mids and forwards click, we'll be away. Lions by 27 points.

Mid-July, 2001, we had an important game at the MCG: Us (5th) vs Pies (7th). Went in with a post-merger 2 & 12 record there and doubts remained about our big match bona-fides. After a close game, we won running away. Rest is history. Lesson: this happened before half the current team was out of nappies and has absolutely no bearing on anything Friday night or for the remainder of 2023.

Last edited:
I’ve asked Chatgpt to provide some analysis ahead of this weeks match as I’m at a loss as to how we can win at the MCG.

To defeat the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG), the Brisbane Lions need to focus on a few key aspects. Firstly, they should exploit their speed and agility advantage to create fast ball movement and keep the MCG's defense on the back foot. By utilizing their quick players to break through the midfield and deliver accurate entries into the forward line, the Lions can expose any defensive vulnerabilities of the MCG.

Secondly, the Lions must maintain a solid defensive structure to counter the MCG's attacking prowess. Tight marking, effective zoning, and quick transitions will be essential to deny the MCG's forwards clear scoring opportunities. By maintaining defensive discipline and preventing the MCG from establishing dominance in the forward half, the Lions can limit their opponent's scoring chances and maintain control of the game.

Overall, a combination of aggressive and attacking play, coupled with a resilient and disciplined defense, will be key for the Brisbane Lions to overcome the challenges posed by the MCG. By exploiting their own strengths, creating fast ball movement, and maintaining a solid defensive structure, the Lions can increase their chances of defeating the Melbourne Cricket Ground and emerging victorious.

I hope Fages and the coaching staff read this thread as I think AI has solved our problems.

I’ve asked Chatgpt to provide some analysis ahead of this weeks match as I’m at a loss as to how we can win at the MCG.

To defeat the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG), the Brisbane Lions need to focus on a few key aspects. Firstly, they should exploit their speed and agility advantage to create fast ball movement and keep the MCG's defense on the back foot. By utilizing their quick players to break through the midfield and deliver accurate entries into the forward line, the Lions can expose any defensive vulnerabilities of the MCG.

Secondly, the Lions must maintain a solid defensive structure to counter the MCG's attacking prowess. Tight marking, effective zoning, and quick transitions will be essential to deny the MCG's forwards clear scoring opportunities. By maintaining defensive discipline and preventing the MCG from establishing dominance in the forward half, the Lions can limit their opponent's scoring chances and maintain control of the game.

Overall, a combination of aggressive and attacking play, coupled with a resilient and disciplined defense, will be key for the Brisbane Lions to overcome the challenges posed by the MCG. By exploiting their own strengths, creating fast ball movement, and maintaining a solid defensive structure, the Lions can increase their chances of defeating the Melbourne Cricket Ground and emerging victorious.

I hope Fages and the coaching staff read this thread as I think AI has solved our problems.

So many words saying so little.

Did Rich do alright on the weekend?
And if so, enough to warrant selection?

I hope Fagan keeps Dev and Fletcher in, maybe even Madden as a defensive forward tag. Gunston stays in based on form, but it was against the worst side in the comp.

Wouldn't want to pick the team this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back